The Election

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

The Election

Postby Funky Fairy » Nov 8th, '16, 4:17 am

So without getting too political today I thought it would be nice to have a chat thread about this today.

We got on to the topic yesterday when I asked 'what are you looking forward to this week?'
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16748&p=208483#p208483

I love people's stories.
Feel free to share if you have one :)

Lisa F is off for breakfast this morning.
It's her daughter's first time voting :)
I feel excited for Hollie being able to vote from next year.
She loves politics, so she's very excited.

Denise, I love your story yesterday, thanks for sharing.
You are so right, people should vote.
I feel you have no right to complain about anything if you don't vote.

I felt so angry with my MIL this year.
When we had all the Brexit talk here, my FIL was going to change how he was voting becuase his 'precious' 10yr old grandson believed the other party should win. He said he was voting for him as he wasn't old enough to vote.
That made my blood boil. There's a reason 10yr olds can't vote!!

I also feel annoyed with people like my sister who really doesn't care and doesn't vote but then moans all the time about how the country is run etc....
I just feel we should inform ourselves, it's not hard to do that and I just think back to learning at school about how women had to fight for their right to vote. We should.

I also feel very annoyed lately with the amount of family and friends over here that are unhappy that we are leaving the EU despite voting 'out'. I have lost count of the amount of people I've heard say 'But I never thought we would actually leave'. I just think....then why did you vote that way?? ???

Anyway lovely US ladies of Cocoa Daisy.
Happy voting day to you all.
May you and your families be happy and healthy whatever the outcome *heart*
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Re: The Election

Postby AnnaB » Nov 8th, '16, 4:53 am

Totally agree with your last sentence Lisa! Wishing everyone the best - no matter the outcome. And yes, voting is so important!

J told me that one of his brittish collegues applied to acquire Swedish citizenship last week, because of Brexit. Several of her family members have connections to other countries as well and are doing the same there.

Lisa, you asked in the chat thread if they've been talking about the US election at school, since Alva was worried about it. I think they probably have. I know they are watching this tv-news-thing for kids at school, and they have probably talked about it there. I also know that Alva had read something about it an a magazine at school. And we're talking about it at home too. And it's all over the newspapers and the tv news of course. Even Tuva asked this morning "who are they?" when she saw photos of Trump and Clinton in the morning paper... but at least she is not nervous about it, like Alva. :D
AnnaB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Scrappin' Kathy » Nov 8th, '16, 7:09 am

I love voting day!

The idea that everyone goes and does the same thing and we all have a say is very meaningful to me. Of course, with all the early voting not quite the same.

Our polls opened at 6:00am and I was there at about 6:03. I was the 89th person to vote! And I really felt good leaving!

I have a great week planned. On Wednesday, I get to have dinner with my son who is visiting from Arizona. And on Friday, I go to a crop that lasts from noon on Friday to 4:00pm on Sunday. I have a lot to get done so am busy trying to make sure I'm taking all the right stuff.

Happy voting day!

And Lisa, I agree there is a reason 10 year olds can't vote.
Scrappin' Kathy
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby TerryB » Nov 8th, '16, 8:31 am

Chris and I are going sometime this morning. I hope the lines won't be too long, as I'm not sure how long he'll be able to wait. I'm also concerned about him being around a lot of people right now. He doesn't need to catch any germs!

I was just thinking..all my boys will be voting in their first presidential election today. Brad was eligible last time around, but didn't register in time. What a crazy Presidential election for your first time voting. Eeegads!

Will report back later! ;)
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzannaL » Nov 8th, '16, 11:05 am

Indeed, this a crazy time for your first election. Although, I guess, if you can make a decision with these options, anything in the future will be a piece of cake! Right?!

From the minute I left the house to the minute I arrived back home, I was gone an hour - our polling station is the elementary school down the street. The worst part wasn't the waiting in the snaking line but rather, finding a parking space and then the 20 point turn to reverse out of said spot! LOL! It's done. I debated long and hard over my decision and I stand by my vote.

I had a long conversation with Nikolas (14, too young to vote) about this election and wanted to know his opinion as this is the legacy this voting generation leaves our children. He told me he was glad he didn't have to choose. Like many of us, he was displeased with both options.

There are definitely more people voting this year than there has been in years past. It's nice to see people exercise their right and freedom. I wish it were under more civil and respectable circumstances however.
SuzannaL
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby TerryB » Nov 9th, '16, 1:10 pm

Well it's over, and like Denise said (in another thread) the sky didn't fall! I stayed up until 1am watching the results last night. Chris was so into watching it all, so it was kinda nice to watch and discuss together. Then watching some of the coverage again this morning with Mikey. I've had my fill of politics, that's for sure!
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Nov 9th, '16, 3:39 pm

It's been a strange day, hasn't it?
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby carolynhasacat » Nov 9th, '16, 9:45 pm

I have to say that it's been a very emotional and difficult day for me.

I am caught up in my 30 Days of Thankful Daisy Dori, but decided to put it aside for now and maybe consider coming back to it in a few days.

Took my lunch break at Target to see what Christmas items they had out and did some retail therapy at the dollar spot. Switching focus and trying to think ahead at something positive for now until I can get back to feeling normal.
carolynhasacat
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Nov 9th, '16, 10:43 pm

Carolyn it has been a hard day for me as well. For Bill and Conner as well.++++I happily, with eyes wide open, voted 100% for Hillary Clinton and had no reservations what so ever. I don't think they are the same in the least as far as being "just as bad" That is just not true. But here we are. I didn't vote for Donald Trump but he is my president and I hope he takes the job seriously and brings some dignity, willingness to learn and listen to people who know more than he does and lastly compassion for the people who feel fearful because of the rhetoric they have heard for almost 2 years. I hope that will change. I hope things can get done. ++++As the affordable Health Care Act is repealed, I hope they have a replacement because with my RA, I might not even be covered by a plan (pre-existing condition) if I can find one I can afford. It's a long way to medicare at 65 for me! But I am always hopeful and am fully engaged and ready to make any difference I can to make things better. Kindness, Love and an Open Heart go a long long way in this world.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Nov 10th, '16, 3:09 am

I'm sorry for you girls. I did think of you yesterday and I know how that feels after everything going on over here this year.
Let's hope it works out being a positive move.
Denise the healthcare side of things came to mind for me too yesterday thinking of you. xx
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby seemownay » Nov 10th, '16, 12:33 pm

I am so shocked.
I can't put into words what I think and feel right now.
Denise, I hope they have a replacement - this would be a nightmare for so many people.
seemownay
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Instagram

Postby kaffekananna » Nov 10th, '16, 5:03 pm

Not sure what to add. Think you girls covered it good. Denise I really pray you get a good replacement! In my ears it is so weird that not all citizens are granted healthcare. At the moment I feel my own country moving in the wrong direction regarding that as well. To me all people are created equal <3 sad day for sure!

Ps I always remind myself that even the worst of people once were cute little babies. With nappies and drool. That picture often helps me smile.
kaffekananna
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Scrappin' Kathy » Nov 10th, '16, 7:04 pm

kaffekananna wrote:Not sure what to add. Think you girls covered it good. Denise I really pray you get a good replacement! In my ears it is so weird that not all citizens are granted healthcare. At the moment I feel my own country moving in the wrong direction regarding that as well. To me all people are created equal <3 sad day for sure!

Ps I always remind myself that even the worst of people once were cute little babies. With nappies and drool. That picture often helps me smile.

That made me smile as well. One of the things about democracy is that regardless of whether your person wins or not, they are your leader so you have to work with them for the good of the entire country. We haven't recently always shown the President as much respect as they deserve, but now is as good of time as any to go back to the era of when the President got respect.
Scrappin' Kathy
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Scrappin' Kathy » Nov 10th, '16, 7:13 pm

And I forgot to say, I work for the federal government so I this may affect me a little more than some.
Scrappin' Kathy
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to The Day to Day Talk