August Reveal Morning Fun: Best Sunrise/Sunset

August Reveal Morning Fun: Best Sunrise/Sunset

Postby kissy » Jul 28th, '12, 8:25 am

The colors in this month's kit make me think of beautiful sunsets and sunrises, oranges, golds and blues! So tell me about a memorable sunrise or sunset that you have seen.

We will pick one random winner of a $5.00 Cocoa Daisy Coupon. Thanks for playing along!

Two come to my mind, the first was when we were in Mykonos, watching the sunset over the sea was just breathtaking! The other wasn't so exotic but just as moving, we had just moved into our new home, it had been a horrible summer in a stress/life changes kind of way and I remember standing on my new front step watching the sunset, I finally felt "home" and a bit at peace I guess that's what made that sunset so beautiful!
Christine
kissy
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: August Reveal Morning Fun: Best Sunrise/Sunset

Postby Sherry C » Jul 28th, '12, 8:33 am

Mykonos? I bet that was beautiful!

One of my favorite sunsets was on a family beach vacation. There were probably 15 of us playing in the Gulf all day and didn't want to leave. The sunset that day was so spectacular... I will never forget the vivid oranges, pinks, blues, and all the fun we had that day! ♥ That was at least 15 years ago, and we all still talk about it.
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Kelly in Canada » Jul 28th, '12, 9:06 am

i have about three thousand photos of the sun setting over our fields...all i have to do is look out of my patio door and i am so aware of the majesty of nature and the power of God that it almost brings me to tears. i have stopped taking photos though!
Kelly in Canada
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby dnrscherer » Jul 28th, '12, 9:14 am

Mykonos...lovely place.
I think the ones I best remember are when we were living in Germany and had a family vacation here..it was March so still crisp..I was on European time and I would get up very early to walk the beach..and watch the sunrise. That's when I realized that sunrise were my new favorite...maybe that was a sign of me maturing...or getting older..but they were some of the most peaceful moments in memory.
~Dedra
dnrscherer
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Postby kissy » Jul 28th, '12, 9:22 am

I love everyone's descriptions! They all sound so beautiful! And Dedra you are so right - I much prefer a sunrise to a sunset too!
Christine
kissy
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Jennifer_Davis » Jul 28th, '12, 10:08 am

This might sound silly, but when I was much younger I was dating a boy and had been for quite some time and things were getting stale and I was embarking on going to college soon, I was growing up, etc. and one morning I woke up early and walked to the beach by myself and sat alone on the sand watching the sunrise in my little hometown and I swear it was that moment where I actually started living IN my life as Jenny. :) I still remember how my breathing was and how the sand felt so cool on my feet and how I felt a bit sad but was smiling and then walking back home feeling so much stronger than before. I broke up with the guy that day. :D
Jennifer_Davis
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby justmarti » Jul 28th, '12, 10:12 am

The Mr. and I did a half-marathon in Santa Barbara last November. The day after the race was our last morning there so we got up early, got some Starbucks, and walked across the street to the beach. We were able to watch the sunrise over the ocean - you could see the mist off the water, the silhouettes of the boats, and the brilliant colors of the sun. It was incredible.
Marti
justmarti
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jul 28th, '12, 10:19 am

happydays525 wrote:This might sound silly, but when I was much younger I was dating a boy and had been for quite some time and things were getting stale and I was embarking on going to college soon, I was growing up, etc. and one morning I woke up early and walked to the beach by myself and sat alone on the sand watching the sunrise in my little hometown and I swear it was that moment where I actually started living IN my life as Jenny. :) I still remember how my breathing was and how the sand felt so cool on my feet and how I felt a bit sad but was smiling and then walking back home feeling so much stronger than before. I broke up with the guy that day. :D

Jen this is awesome not silly. I love your story.

I remember so many sunrises/sunsets that were spot on perfect for many reasons. I just realized writing that, I have had such a beautiful life.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby dnrscherer » Jul 28th, '12, 10:30 am

happydays525 wrote:and how I felt a bit sad but was smiling and then walking back home feeling so much stronger than before.

Exactly Jenny....took the words right out of my head...
~Dedra
dnrscherer
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Postby kissy » Jul 28th, '12, 11:12 am

happydays525 wrote:This might sound silly, but when I was much younger I was dating a boy and had been for quite some time and things were getting stale and I was embarking on going to college soon, I was growing up, etc. and one morning I woke up early and walked to the beach by myself and sat alone on the sand watching the sunrise in my little hometown and I swear it was that moment where I actually started living IN my life as Jenny. :) I still remember how my breathing was and how the sand felt so cool on my feet and how I felt a bit sad but was smiling and then walking back home feeling so much stronger than before. I broke up with the guy that day. :D

Not silly at all.......just perfect!
Christine
kissy
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby northcarmen » Jul 28th, '12, 12:41 pm

Hmm.... Well, I think my most memorable sunrise was on an Easter morning when I was in Bible college. We had a pre-dawn worship service by the river and watched the sun rise -- it felt very profound, the notion of watching the sun rise on the day the Son rose -- and then went back to the college for paska, which is a Mennonite Easter bread.

I've seen a lot more sunsets than sunrises, as I am definitely NOT a morning person, and there have been some glorious ones. Our province's license plate motto is "Land of Living Skies" -- there are vast stretches of prairie, so the stretches of sky lit up by the sun, or filled with flocks of birds (especially Canada geese), can be amazing. Our two major cities, Regina and Saskatoon, are both in the prairie part of the province, and they look like diamond necklaces spread out over the horizon when you come towards them at night. And in the northern part of the province, where I live, we have amazing "visitations" by the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis). When I was working at our local newspaper, I would sometimes drive to Big Stone Lake after a rough day at work, and watch the sun set -- it always filled with me a great sense of peace and of being a small part of something big.

A couple of years ago, near Christmas, I went out there again after a rough day. I wrote about it on my blog; here is an excerpt:

"As I looked through my windshield toward Lac la Ronge, I noticed how the frost had made lovely, intricate patterns on the glass, and outside, the clouds were streaked with pink and gold, in sharp contrast to the ghostly sculptures that hoarfrost had made of the trees on Kitsaki Island. I could still feel the tightness in my neck and the weariness in my limbs, and on the spur of the moment, I decided to do something I used to do when I had had a rough day at the newspaper office and it was nearing sunset like this (yes, at 4 p.m. — this being the winter solstice and all): head to Big Stone Lake.

So I turned the van out to the highway, turned off again by the First Nations-owned gas station, Kathy’s Korner, and drove toward the lake. There is something about driving down the gravel-lined road through that forest corridor, the Montreal River glimpsed in flashes through the trees, that always fills up the depleted parts of me, but particularly so today — maybe because it had been a few months, maybe just because God knew I needed it — and as I got toward the bend where you can see the river most clearly, I rolled down the window and just had to breathe in with amazement as I heard the music of the water rushing over the river rocks, and saw the mist rising up and the trees silhouetted against the radiant pink sky. I will go back tomorrow with my camera and see it again, because it is hard even an hour or so later to believe it was beautiful as that. After a few minutes, I put my foot to the gas pedal again, and listened, as I drove, to the crunch of the snow-coated gravel until I reached the end of the road and the lake spread out before me. I saw the wreath on the small red cross someone put on the shoreline years ago, and the vast sky and the golden sun, low on the horizon, and the trees, and I got out of the van — leaving Sara still asleep in her car seat and the window rolled down — to lift my hands up and breathe a short prayer of thanks."

I ran into someone I knew who had been taking pictures in the same spot shortly after I left, so while I didn't end up going back, I do have a picture of what it looked like. I'm not enthralled with this picture, because it seems a bit too Photoshopped around the edges to me, but there's nothing fundamental altered. Here you go:

Carmen.
northcarmen
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby nittygrittyjody » Jul 28th, '12, 1:13 pm

DeniseM wrote: Jen this is awesome not silly. I love your story.

I remember so many sunrises/sunsets that were spot on perfect for many reasons. I just realized writing that, I have had such a beautiful life.

I love ALL the descriptions and stories too. Oh, the power of nature over our emotions and how something beautiful can touch our souls. I love this thread!

My own memories go back to when Chip and I were on our honeymoon in Kauai, Hawaii. Such a magnificient place to wake up and see the sun just beginning to shed light over green mountains. It was a stunning place to feel that newness of life and a lifetime of dreams that were yet to play themselves out. I would love waking up to such scenery and beauty everyday!

My favorite sunset, actually happened on my least favorite day and actually I have been reflecting back on it for most of this week. I know some of you know my family story of tragedy. As our family pastor and his daughter, my friend, Jennifer, drove me to Flint, MI to Hurley Hospital all I knew was that Teagan had suffered cardiac arrest and wasn't expected to even make her life flight helicopter ride. She had suffered too great an injury. My husband and other two kids were all being airlifted at the time of our drive downstate and you can only imagine the thoughts that raced through my mind for the nearly 4 hour drive to get there.
In the midst of that trip, there were fires that had broke out along the freeway in the ditches. We got stuck in one-lane traffic at one point. Right about that time we also noticed rain up ahead. Like the kind where you see sheets of rain coming out of the clouds. I just remember being in such a surreal place and wondering how bizarre that there was fire on one side of us, storms to another...and the feeling of disbelief at what I was actually beng "driven to". To the doctor updates on which of my family members might live or die. I would have expected my heart to be filled with terror and fear. But instead I only felt this stranged peace inside. I kept sensing a calm telling me everything would be okay- no matter what I was about to hear and see.
As we drove past the fire and toward the clouds, the sun literally felt like it came out of nowhere. And at that moment, there was a yellow/orange and red glow on the horizon....and the most amazing double rainbow over it all. I had never seen anything like it. We all stopped talking and just stared and I recall my pastor saying, "well, if there was any doubt about who is in control of all of this, it was all erased by one glance at the landscape". If I had had a phone at that time there's no doubt I would have snapped pictures of that scene. Tomorrow we mark 11 years to that day and I'll never forget it. I am so glad that even in nature we can sense that Someone is in control. That was a sunset I will never forget driving into. And as hard as that day was, it was a day that I also discovered that there is beauty even in the midst of our darkest hours.
That to me was the one gift of that day.
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby northcarmen » Jul 28th, '12, 2:35 pm

Wow, Jody -- your story gave me major goosebumps. Thank you so much for sharing that, especially the spiritual lessons you learned from your experience. I read a little bit on Facebook about the pending anniversary of your loss -- my deepest condolences to you, and hugs too.

Carmen.
northcarmen
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Funky Fairy » Jul 28th, '12, 3:09 pm

Wow Jody, that's quite some story. You got me all teary now.
It must be very hard this time of year in particular :(

Jen, I love your story too.

Funny what nature can do to us.
I don't have a sunset/rise memory but I do have a special rainbow memory that I'd like to share if that's ok.
I made this LO with a photo of it back in 2007.

It's Hollie's rainbow.
I was putting her to bed on her 8th birthday and we could see this rainbow whilst she lay in bed.
My stepdad had passed just 7months before. Hollie suddenly got so excited seeing this rainbow and said it was her birthday present from her Gramppy Charlie.
Isn't that sweet?!!
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby justmarti » Jul 28th, '12, 4:29 pm

Carmen - that picture is stunning!

Jody - Your story gave me goosebumps. Beautiful.

My favorite sunsets are always in Hawaii. I've never seen anything more incredible.
Marti
justmarti
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AnnaB » Jul 28th, '12, 5:00 pm

Jody - your story made me cry. Many hugs!

The fact that I can't think of a special sunrise/sunset also makes me wanna cry. I need to watch more sunsets and sunrises!
AnnaB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Jul 29th, '12, 7:09 am

I have a "thing" about sunrises and sunsets. My family and friends all know it and just smile when I have so many photos. We have been known to race to the sunset on a beach visit. I can't say that there are any more wonderful than others. Each and every one is a true gift that we are given on this earth.

Jody - I'm sorry for your loss but your story brought me right in and having lived here in Michigan all my life, I know exactly when this happened. I remember your description time period. And your "Michigan sayings" are spot on "downstate", etc.

Carmen - your picture is beautiful.

I tried to read all of these last night for a hot minute but had to leave. I'm glad I came back. Your stories and comments are warming my heart.
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Asil » Jul 29th, '12, 8:37 am

It wasn't so much that the sun was so special or seeing the light after a long night, but it is a sunrise I will never forget. Was up north in Thailand years ago, we arrive the night before to be ready to cross the Mekong river early in the morning and enter Laos. Got up just as the sun rose, and just walked down to the river bank. I will never forget the sounds coming from the other side of the river, watching smoke from small wooden houses and the smell of morning. But it is the sound of music coming from the other side that got stuck in my mind.. Just hints of music instruments, totally new to me, crossing the river with the winds.. Just amazing. No picture can capture it, but it sure stays with me. That is my favourite sunrise memory.. This got me wanting to travel again.. :D
Asil
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby dianaj1012 » Jul 29th, '12, 9:16 am

My most memorable sunset was at the top of Cadillac Mountain in Maine on our honeymoon. We planned to go to the top of the mountain and watch our first sunset as husband and wife. It was amazing sitting on that rock and having that moment.
dianaj1012
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby ellen s » Jul 29th, '12, 10:37 am

WOW Carmen! That photo is gorgeous.
I think your Story is perfect, Jen. I think sunrises and sunsets just symbolize new beginnings...and, well, endings as well. I guess you need an ending for a new beginning :)
ellen s
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Next

Return to This Month's Reveal