7/27/2012...let's discuss sleep. =)

Question of the Day

7/27/2012...let's discuss sleep. =)

Postby nittygrittyjody » Jul 27th, '12, 11:16 am

On average, how much sleep do you need/get each night?

Do you ever take/get naps?

Me? I usually get 5-6 hours each night. I am much more a night owl than early bird, but for some reason {probably old age...I'm 39} :D I have been waking early for the whole summer. I think maybe my mind feels like I need a jump on the day to stay ahead of my kids. But I do find myself worn out by 7 or 8 some nights and I know I still have 4-5 more hours left in my day!

I rarely- like maybe twice in the past year- nap. Only one of my 6 kids still naps. So that's what's up with sleep at my house. What's your night like?
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: 7/27/2012...let's discuss sleep. =)

Postby anja_wade » Jul 27th, '12, 11:20 am

I'm a night owl, too. I go to sleep way too late, usually. My mind is at it's most creative in the middle of the night!
Right now, I'm on summer vacation so it doesn't matter if I stay up late because I can (usually) sleep in. But it really catches up with me during the school year. Sometimes I don't get to bed until 1am (though I aim for 11-12) and I have to be up by 5 (6 at the latest). That might be why I'm chronically exhausted during the school year. :)
anja_wade
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mlepitts » Jul 27th, '12, 12:53 pm

I think I have chronic mono (Docs look at me cross-eyed, but I've had mono twice in my life, all my serious-hahaha you know what that means--boyfriends have contracted it a few months after our first kiss, and I get symptoms that look a LOT like it (achy, fevers, chills) if I push myself too much. Yes, it's a self-diagnosis, but I know my body.) and the only way I can keep it at bay is with a decent bedtime and a nap every day.

So ideally I'd go to bed at 9:00. Rarely happens, we're talking ideally. But I do try for and usually succeed at 10 PM. Then I get up between 5:30 and 6:00 in the summer, I'm a reluctant morning person. Hate mornings but my internal clock seems to adore them. Can't sleep in when the sun is up. Winter is when I struggle with getting up early, but kids' schedules require a 5:00 rise time during the school year. I find I get a TON done, morning is when I feel like cleaning. So I go with it. Why fight it?

And then around 1 PM I crawl in bed and take a nap. An hour and a half are best because I lay there the first 30 minutes trying to fall asleep, if I only have an hour, I worry that first 30 minutes that I won't fall asleep and then spend the next 30 wishing I'd fallen asleep. The extra 30 minutes in an hour and a half seem to be the magic number.

I hate that I have to take a break in the middle of the day, but I've come to accept it. It keeps the achy, fever, and chills away, and those will slow me down even more, so I sacrifice for the greater good.

And there is a book for you. And I think I'll snag it for a scrapbook page.
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Margrethe » Jul 27th, '12, 1:21 pm

So strange... I posted a comment earlier, or thought I did...

Normally I sleep 8 hours or so. We don't have children, so there's no one getting me up early.

However, I'm a light sleeper, so I often wake up during the night. I also suffer from insomnia and have a very hard time falling asleep. I usually have to use noise-reducing ear plugs and my husband cannot go to bed until after I've fallen sleep, or else I can't sleep due to the sound of him breathing.

But I love to sleep! I love sleeping in, but for some strange reason I always wake up early on the weekends.
Margrethe
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AmberCA » Jul 27th, '12, 1:46 pm

I love my sleep!
I usually can't keep my eyes open past 10:00pm and then wake up around 6:00am.
8 hours is just the perfect amount of sleep for me, I'm a little bit grouchy if I don't get 8. ::)
***Amber***
AmberCA
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby alizadeutsch » Jul 27th, '12, 1:52 pm

On average I get about 7 hours a night. I am NOT a night owl. During the school year, i wish I was more of one, because then I could get more things done at night that I can't do while I'm at work during the day (like cleaning and scrapping). And if I do push myself to stay up late and get things done, I am tired the next day, and I cannot stand that feeling of dragging myself through the day. And my work suffers too. So I try to be mindful about getting the right amount of sleep, even though I find it really frustrating that I can't "do it all." But, like you, Emily, I try to listen to my body. I really sometimes get into bed just telling myself, "It's ok. You can't do everything." I just repeat it like a mantra. Once I'm in bed though, I am usually out like a light in 5 minutes or less.

In the summer, I can stay up later, but I usually stop being productive about the same time every day (around 11 pm.) I totally prefer to get an early start on the day. I love the summer vacation feeling of not having to get up and out the door, but I don't sleep that late.
alizadeutsch
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby kimBinAK » Jul 27th, '12, 2:34 pm

I don't get as much sleep as I should, unfortunately -- I'm always groggy throughout the day and it's been years (literally) since I've felt energetic or totally alert. With the extreme length of days here on both the long and short side -- approx 22 hours of daylight in the summer and about 5.5 hours of daylight in the winter -- it definitely has an affect on my sleeping habits.

Typically, I sleep in later in the winter - sometimes till after 10:00 am - but then I'm up later too, often going to bed between 2-4 am. In the summer, the sky brightens between 4-5 am and I find myself rising between 7-8 am; I start getting pretty sleepy between 11pm - midnight-ish. I don't sleep "solid," though and more often than not, tend to get up for the bathroom 2 or 3 times a night. Sometimes I'll drift off to sleep and then wake abruptly for no reason an hour or so later. During such times, I'll either read an ebook or play games and check facebook on my phone, watch a DVD in the portable player on my nightstand or listen to an audio book on my iPod.

I do take naps on occasion, but when I do, I sleep very heavily and will awake very groggy and moody :-\ Would love to do as my Hubby does and take 20-minute "power naps!"

-- kimB
kimBinAK
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Postby nittygrittyjody » Jul 27th, '12, 3:32 pm

All this discussion about sleep is making me want a nap. I should just put my kids in charge of one buddy each and do it. But then I would kick myself for not scrapping instead! :D
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mlepitts » Jul 27th, '12, 3:53 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ::)
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby crystalyocum » Jul 27th, '12, 3:55 pm

Margrethe wrote:So strange... I posted a comment earlier, or thought I did...

I think there are board gremlins..cause I thought I posted last night and it wasn't there either! LOL

Anyway, sleep for me...let's see, I usually always go to bed around midnight or 1am. I'm a night owl, always have been. I. HATE. MORNINGS. Period. ;) During the summer, I usually just let myself wake up, which usually occurs somewhere between 8:30-9:30am. During the school year, I get up to get my kids up each day at 6:30am. I really hate the school year for that reason.

I rarely, if ever, nap during the day. I find that I am usually more groggy after a nap for quite some time. I usually get around 7 hours of sleep, maybe 8 at night, so I'm usually good to go all day.
Crystal :)
crystalyocum
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby MandyK » Jul 27th, '12, 4:14 pm

Sleep? What's sleep?

I'm a night owl usually 1-3am by the time I'm sleepy enough to head to bed then i toss and turn all night ugh. Up early it seems during the summer which is weird with the kids sleeping in. So 5-7 hours is the usually for me sometimes more sometimes less. Mav has weird sleeping habits too so i think thats why im not so much a sleeper. At times he can go days eithout sleep and it kills me but we make it. Then sometimes he sleeps a ton. and the non sleep/sleep never happen at the same times.
Somedays we all take naps :)
MandyK
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Jul 28th, '12, 6:28 am

6-7 hours - I'm usually upstairs in bed around 10:30 or so but sleeping around 11 p.m. The dogs or I get up between 5:30 to 6 a.m. Last night we stayed up till 12:45 but I was up at 5:45. It's going to be a long day.
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Sharmaine » Jul 28th, '12, 6:41 am

I wish I was a night owl!
Emily I got Mono from Dave, back in 1996. I had 2 months off work and it's only the last couple of years where I feel like I might have "shaken it". I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR on the symptoms and reading your body. I would get so tired but before having had mono I would only get a few hours sleep and go and go and go. I also suffer from "occasional" insomnia so it's never a surprise when I start yawning around 2pm lol
I don't usually nap but Sunday afternoons I sometimes sneak off to bed for my 10 minute snooze
Sharmaine
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Jennifer_Davis » Jul 28th, '12, 9:58 am

I need to get about 7/8 hours of sleep otherwise I feel hungover for the better part of the day! Usually try to get in bed around 11pm and then up at 6. No naps for me, I can't even remember the last time that happened, I was probably sick!
Jennifer_Davis
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby DeniseM » Jul 28th, '12, 10:34 am

Jody you still have some little ones so I can imagine you are chronically tired! :) I remember that feeling when the boys were babies. I felt like I didn't sleep for about 4 years straight.

I used to (as in just recently) get by on 5/6 hours of sleep but no longer. I just can't do it anymore. I have to have at least 7 and really feel better with 8. My day is pretty physically demanding as I clean an average of 3 houses a day. It does make for very good sleep. When I get into bed I usually read for a bit and am asleep within 5 minutes.

Napping is so healthy for you but it's not something I do very often. I am not home during the weekdays until evening and on the weekends I feel I have too much to do to allow myself. I have however written extensively on my love of the idea of naps. I don't usually make New Year's resolutions but about 3 years ago I made one.

Nap more.

Sharmaine made me an adorable little canvas that said NAP. to remind me. :)
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby kissy » Jul 28th, '12, 11:35 am

Sleep........how I wish I could! This is an ongoing battle for me, I know I need more, I usually wake up feeling like a truck ran me over, this morning was awful. But after having gone to bed at 1am, waking up punching the air because of a weird dream, then waking up with a coughing fit (thank you cold), then having a pair of sweet little blue eyes telling me that its time to get up, its not much of a surprise I feel wore out. I average about 4-6 hours per night lately, I wish it were more but I don't see that changing any time soon!
Em I know exactly what you mean, I had mono twice too! Was in the hospital with it and they say its rather rare to get it twice. You may be on to something about the tie to mono and feeling all achy when you haven't had enough sleep.
Naps are just something I have never been able to do, even when I was pregnant I couldn't nap, I can count on one hand the number of naps I have taken in my life. My mind just won't shut off, if I do try to nap all I do is lay there feeling guilty because there are so many other things I should be doing! As I'm typing this I am beginning to get the feeling that I am bit too high strung ;D ;D

But I will endeavor to change my bad habits - the napping just won't happen but I can try harder to get more sleep!

I am so very envious of all of you that can nap! You should all go take a nap right now in celebration of your ability :) Seriously!
Christine
kissy
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to QOTD