Summer Reading

Question of the Day

Summer Reading

Postby SuzMannecke » May 31st, '17, 9:40 am

Whatchya reading these days?

Right now I am reading Think Better, Live Better by Joel Osteen. I am also reading The Making of a Healer: Teachings of an Oneida Grandmother by Russell FourEagles. It too, is good!
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Re: Summer Reading

Postby carolynhasacat » May 31st, '17, 10:33 am

We are doing a summer reading challenge in our family. Here are our first three books:
Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea trilogy
Robert L Stevenson's Treasure Island
Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express

For bookclub, we're reading Jodi Picoult's Small Great Things for June, but I haven't started the book yet.
carolynhasacat
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » May 31st, '17, 1:23 pm

Those are some great reads! I have only read Treasure Island of the three you have listed, but I have ridden on the Orient Express! Does that count for something?! LOL
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby carolynhasacat » May 31st, '17, 1:48 pm

SuzMannecke wrote:Those are some great reads! I have only read Treasure Island of the three you have listed, but I have ridden on the Orient Express! Does that count for something?! LOL

Oh, you should definitely read it, then! They've remade the film with Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer and it's coming out this fall. Kenneth Branagh is playing Poirot!! Can't wait!
carolynhasacat
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Olivia » May 31st, '17, 7:56 pm

I recently started James Patterson's Women's Murder Club over. I started the series years ago when they first came out, but they weren't coming out fast enough to hold my interest. I just finished up Patricia Cornwell's latest Kay Scarpetta book & Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch book. I love a good cop/detective murder mystery.

I'm also going to read quite a few middle grade books this summer. That way I can keep up with the newer books for my 5th & 6th library patrons once we start school again in the fall.

Do you guys use Goodreads? I use it everyday during the school year & pretty often in the summer. It's a good way for me to track my reading & to find recommendations.
Olivia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Jun 1st, '17, 3:05 pm

Olivia wrote:I recently started James Patterson's Women's Murder Club over. I started the series years ago when they first came out, but they weren't coming out fast enough to hold my interest. I just finished up Patricia Cornwell's latest Kay Scarpetta book & Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch book. I love a good cop/detective murder mystery.

I'm also going to read quite a few middle grade books this summer. That way I can keep up with the newer books for my 5th & 6th library patrons once we start school again in the fall.

Do you guys use Goodreads? I use it everyday during the school year & pretty often in the summer. It's a good way for me to track my reading & to find recommendations.

I love forensic murder mysteries, especially Patricia Cornwell. I did read a good legal thriller from Kindle First earlier this year. I think it was called Doubt.
Thanks for the other recommendations. I believe I have a Goodreads account but haven't gotten into the habit of using it. Need to figure out what my password is and try to get that going!
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Olivia » Jun 1st, '17, 4:11 pm

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series is really good. He also does the Mickey Haller series as well that intersects with the Harry Bosch series in a few books. Connelly wrote "The Lincoln Lawyer" which was made into a movie starring Matthew McConaughey as Mickey Haller.

Connelly & Cornwell both have a pretty complex writing style in comparison to the James Patterson books I am reading now. I prefer Connelly and Cornwell, but Patterson is reading much more quickly, which I like too because it gives me the opportunity to read more books.
Olivia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Jun 8th, '17, 9:07 am

carolynhasacat wrote:
SuzMannecke wrote:Those are some great reads! I have only read Treasure Island of the three you have listed, but I have ridden on the Orient Express! Does that count for something?! LOL

Oh, you should definitely read it, then! They've remade the film with Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer and it's coming out this fall. Kenneth Branagh is playing Poirot!! Can't wait!

^^ I JUST saw a commercial for this or some type of promo recently for the movie. How fun!! That is definitely one I will want to watch! TFS.
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Return to QOTD