QOTD | February 22

Question of the Day

QOTD | February 22

Postby SuzMannecke » Feb 22nd, '17, 10:54 am

It's my paternal grandmother's birthday today. She passed in 1992 but I have so many fond memories of her. One of them was of her baking in her kitchen. She taught me how to roll out pie dough and said that she always used lard when baking. While her baked goods were always yummy, I have never used lard in my baking. Sorry Grams! So many memories of my grandma, but that was just one. I learned a lot from her in regards to homemaking, gardening, baking and life!

What's a favorite memory that you have of a grandparent or loved one if you never had a chance to know your grandparents?
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Re: QOTD | February 22

Postby jbonomo » Feb 22nd, '17, 1:06 pm

Great memories of your grandmother, Suz! As all my grandparents were from the old country (Japan), we did not talk but I remember my father's mother enjoyed the almond cookies I always baked up for her (actually I think my father suggested those as he loved them) and used Crisco and red food coloring dot in the center. YIKES!

My mother's stepmother used to host elaborate New Years' Day feasts with all the Japanese foods that i know took days and days to prepare. Oh my, they were delicious and have many fond memories of those times. Wish we had photos of the gatherings and food.
jbonomo
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: QOTD | February 22

Postby SuzannaL » Feb 22nd, '17, 2:49 pm

It's interesting to me how food features in both your stories. I really think food and family go together hand in hand!

My fondest memory of my Gran (Mum's mum) is of the cookies she used to bake us. We lived in Hong Kong and she lived in the UK. Whenever we would visit her or she would visit us there would always be tins upon tins of biscuits for us with fancy royal icing and sprinkles! I was her favorite (she would tell you that too) as her eldest grandchild so I would have, unbeknowst to my siblings, my own special tin!
SuzannaL
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Return to QOTD