QOTD Feb 7

Question of the Day

QOTD Feb 7

Postby SuzMannecke » Feb 7th, '17, 10:19 am

Are you a one book at a time reader or multi-reader?
I am a multi-reader. I often am reading a non-fiction and a fiction book at the same time. I just finished The Four Agreements but I am also reading two other fiction books that I need to finish up!
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Re: QOTD Feb 7

Postby jbonomo » Feb 7th, '17, 2:38 pm

Definitely a multi-book reader! I might just have an attention deficit problem. LOL!
Currently reading:
"Use your Brain to change your Age" by Daniel Amen (in light of mother losing her memory).
"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", a gift from Matt for Xmas. I read it many decades ago but it still resonates but find that i cannot read it just before bed as I want to savor the writing so I'm also reading....
"A Man called Ove".
When we go on our annual Tahoe trip for a week, I read one book at a time and the record was 5 books in a week.......can't wait for that trip.
P.S. Read "Four Agreements" years ago and need to revisit it again for inspiration.

Suz, do you have any fiction recommendations? What are you reading?
jbonomo
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Feb 7th, '17, 3:46 pm

Yay Julie!! Great minds think (and read) alike! LOL

Gosh, I have a bunch I want to get to right now on my kindle and some hardcopy. I am in the middle of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child as well as Liberty's Last Stand. I did read the Temporary Agent and Doubt recently. Both were pretty good. I also read the Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (non-fiction) - by Marie condo. So, so good for this human in constant desire for calm and order. Paper Hearts by Courtney Walsh was a fun and easy read. She is a scrapbooker turned author who wrote the Sweethaven Series that I loved!
Walk into Silence was good -- by Susan McBride
Non-Fiction Favorite relatively recent read fave: The Magnolia Story (Fixer Upper!)
I have a bunch that I purchased on my kindle when they had a sale and several Prime free downloads that I have yet to get to!

I like all different genres of books so my list is never-ending! LOL
What is your favorite genre if you had to pick one? Maybe that would help me give you a recommendation Julie.
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby jbonomo » Feb 7th, '17, 4:13 pm

Thank you for suggestions!

I love reading all genres of books but have a particular fondness for historical fiction like "All the Light we Cannot See" (we started our bike trip in Saint Malo), "The Nightingale", and "Circling the Sun" is on the next to read list as is "Citizens of London".....can you tell I like WWII since our bike trip in 2015 through Normandy? "Boys in the Boat" was also a good read.

Marie Kondo's book is also on the list (which will be a good secondary book when reading one of the others). I also like books like "The Red Tent", "The Help", "Eat, Pray, Love", "The Fault in our Stars", Barbara Kingsolver books or chicklit.

I love the writing in classics as well....Hemingway, Jane Austen, Dickens and had started "1984" on a recent trip.

I hate that the fact that scrapbooking/mixed media and reading are mutually exclusive activities......Paper Hearts sound like a book that should be on my list (thank you for the recommend).

Wonder if we should start a book club here.
jbonomo
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Feb 7th, '17, 4:39 pm

@jbonomo Yes, a book club would be awesome! I loved The Help and The Fault in Our Stars although I didn't know what the topic was about at all (with TFIOS) and read it just a few weeks after my sister passed, so not the best timing but I still loved it.
I like historical fiction as well and really liked The Book Thief. I just downloaded an Amazon Prime kindle free book called In Farleigh Field: A Novel of World War II. Too many books and not enough time!!
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby jbonomo » Feb 7th, '17, 5:06 pm

"Farleigh" looks to be right up my alley. "The Book Thief" is on my list from years past but sounds like it needs to move up.

Thank you, Suz, for starting this topic! I remember as a kid, after lights were to be turned out, I would lift the covers to hide the light coming from my small lamp to read well into the night. My roommate in my 20's and I used to read voraciously then something happened in my 30's moving forward with biking, hobbies, and life so instead of reading 3-4 books a month it is down to 1, maybe.

You are inspiring me to make time to read more again!
jbonomo
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby figalama5 » Feb 8th, '17, 8:29 am

Hi, I am a multi-reader, however, I focus on marketing books as I my job is connected to this area. I am a bigger fan of blogs, though. Recently, I ve read an extremely interesting blog entry on how to write professional business e-mails and how important it is to start a customer relationship on a good note. If you want, you can read this powerful article just here.
figalama5
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Postby SuzMannecke » Feb 8th, '17, 9:42 am

@jbonomo: Love your story about your younger years and reading! I still read under the covers when my hubby falls asleep first, I lower the brightness on my Kindle and then place it under the covers to read or prop up a wall of pillows to block the light out for him.

I am adding your recs to my ongoing list Julie! I think I will start a Book List 2017 for all of us bibliophiles to add to a we move along through the year.)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby SuzMannecke » Feb 8th, '17, 9:58 am

jbonomo wrote:Currently reading:
"Use your Brain to change your Age" by Daniel Amen (in light of mother losing her memory).

My mother is experiencing much of the same. Thanks for sharing this recommendation Julie!
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby jbonomo » Feb 8th, '17, 12:52 pm

Suz....KQED, Public TV has specials coming up next week with Daniel Amen called BrainFit: 50 Ways to Grow your Brain

This is our local schedule and wonder if you get the same broadcast series:
http://www.kqed.org/tv/programs/index.jsp?pgmid=24048
It was a worthwhile watch even though you probably already have this healthy lifestyle.....20 ways to boost your brain, 20 best foods & supplements and 10 daily habits to keep your brain healthy. He actually used his father as an example where these changes made a difference in his failing brain heath.

Unfortunately, my mother feels her life is over and not willing to try; she does not and will not exercise, drink more water, connect socially, etc.

BTW, my ability to thank others for posts has disappeared. Arleigh and I tried to troubleshoot the issue to no avail. Apparently others (Suzanna, for one) have this issue too. But know, I appreciate your posts!
jbonomo
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Feb 9th, '17, 2:12 pm

@jbonomo So sorry to read about your mother's decline and mindset. I will look into our local public tv schedule and see if I can record him! Thank you for the heads up!

:)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby DeniseM » Feb 11th, '17, 8:03 pm

Julie I loved both the nightingale and all the light we cannot see.
Both were wonderful!

I read a lot! Right now I am re reading lots of Louise Erdrich. Love her work. Tracks, Love Medicine, the Beet Queen, Bingo Palace, and so many more.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jbonomo » Feb 11th, '17, 9:59 pm

Oh Denise, SIL turned me onto Loiuse Erdrich years ago.....her books were so hard to put down. That led me to Barbara Kingsolver....Poisonwood Bible was a fave. Reading is the only benefit of being sick.
jbonomo
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to QOTD