QOTD January 5th

Question of the Day

QOTD January 5th

Postby DeniseM » Jan 5th, '16, 10:04 am

Do you have any exciting or new plans for January?

I have to sit down and set a yearly schedule for my work/clients. Its something I have not done and things have gotten out of my control. I need to lay down the law about vacation/time off. I am self employed so do not get paid for this but I have let my clients dictate how and when this happens anyway. It needs to stop. Part of my feeling sorry for my self after Christmas was the monday/tuesday after when I had two marathon days trying to clean for the people that would miss their cleaning days due to the holiday. That needs to come to an end. If their cleaning day falls on a holiday, they miss it and I can't make it up. I exhaust myself. They don't do that. They and their husbands take vacation days and they don't worry about it. Most of my clients will be okay but there are some that will not be happy. Oh well, they want me to clean their house or they don't. I can always get new clients. :)
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: QOTD January 5th

Postby Funky Fairy » Jan 5th, '16, 10:23 am

That's tough Denise, but you do need to look after yourself too.

I would love to say I look forward to Louis' birthday, but if I'm totally honest, I find it hard work.
His expectations are always so high, not of gifts, but everything.
It's my own fault as I guess I've always done so much, but he's been so disappointed when I haven't made the cake myself these past couple of years.
He always wants a huge bash.
I don't want a house full of boys. I just find them too loud.
This has turned in to a moaning post and it wasn't meant to :) sorry.
I'm sure it will be great and we will all have a lovely time
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby mlepitts » Jan 5th, '16, 12:03 pm

Good luck and I think you're right on Denise. You provide a service, but you're not a servant. For my piano business, I charge my students the same tuition every month, even though there are four months in the year that I teach them five weeks instead of the typical four. I tell them that means I have four weeks off at different points of the year. So I take those four extra weeks off for Spring break, Thanksgiving, and two weeks at Christmas but they pay the same monthly tuition. It takes some thinking to get them to wrap their heads around it, but most eventually do understand and see that yes, it makes total sense. I also tell them it saves them from having to come up with the extra money in a five week month. To me, as a parent, I would appreciate that consistent bill every month instead of a surprise price hike in a five week month. I don't know if that policy would work for you, but I thought I'd share it.

New and exciting plans for January? I'm participating in a FB group put together by Becky Novacek that is helping me clean and organize my house. Purging and sorting through a different part of my life every day. I was reading the literature on my coconut milk and this phrase jumped out at me: to be free of the unnecessary. I am taking that on as my mantra this month. I think it works perfectly with my word for the year, envision. I've already given away three bags of stuff!
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby LauraC » Jan 5th, '16, 12:29 pm

I'm doing more purging too this year. I have a couple house projects that I MUST get finished this year. A couple of ceiling fixes and I want to strip the spare bedroom and get it into shape. It may need drywall walls but we will figure out a way to make that work. It still has some puppy wallpaper stripe around the room that we wanted to get rid of when we moved in 15 years ago >:D
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Savi » Jan 5th, '16, 12:48 pm

Well! I guess this is my sign...

My new thing for this year is to be more active on this board and in the galleries. Time to stop lurking and start playing along again. I've enjoyed the inspiration and the conversation; paying it forward now!

Hello, again! :D
Savi
Daisy
Daisy

Postby mlepitts » Jan 5th, '16, 1:31 pm

Good goal Savi! :) I hope we do see more of you on the boards.
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby SuzMannecke » Jan 5th, '16, 1:46 pm

Denise- your mental and physical well-being are priceless and you need to make that your priority! I think you are on the right path and thinking with finding new clients for those that don't understand your schedule and your personal needs.

Em- I totally think that is the right way to look at things and explain it to your piano families. I never had an issue with our boys' piano teacher taking time off as it was all explained to us before we even "signed up" so to speak. Communication is key and at the beginning is the best! :)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby SuzannaL » Jan 5th, '16, 2:08 pm

I love the month of January for the new beginnings and hope that each of us, Denise, Suvi, Emily, each of you, can keep those new beginnings through out the year! We have to watch our for ourselves and take care of ourselves. As women, we tend to forget about that very essential person. If you don't take care of you, you can't tend to others as efficiently or effectively. Onward and upward ladies!

Me personally, same ol, same ol; work, swim chauffeur, and scrap. I am chaperoning a swim trip to NC but that isn't "fun" per se. I love to see the swimmers do well but chaperoning the 10 and unders is WORK! Sleepless work at that! LOL!
SuzannaL
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby TerryB » Jan 5th, '16, 4:37 pm

Nope. No big plans. The guys will ski a lot, and I will scrap a lot. :) I do have my Mom's birthday party to plan. She'll turn 85 this month, so I think I will have a small get together to celebrate. I've also got tickets to a show at the theatre with my girlfriends later this month. We are going to see Pippin. I hope it's a good one. Any reviews?

SAVI..........so good to see you here my friend! :)
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby deblew » Jan 5th, '16, 5:36 pm

Denise, hope your clients can be understanding... you definitely deserve some time off now & then.

Not much exciting going on this month in our household. Ds's GF leaves this coming weekend to go home to Australia, so it'll probably be pretty sad around our place. :'( guess we should try to figure out something to do to keep up our spirits.

I'd like to continue purging our house & garage. At some point DH & I will prob move into a smaller place when DS moves on. There's definitely too much crap to fit in a smaller place! lol
Deb
deblew
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Instagram

Postby kiggies5 » Jan 5th, '16, 5:38 pm

Wow! I can't imagine people complaining like that...ok, well I guess I can! ;) You need time off too!
kiggies5
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jbonomo » Jan 5th, '16, 9:09 pm

I can relate, Denise, being self-employed and never saying no which was to my detriment (stressed or sick). Several years ago I started charging more for those Saturday/holiday appointments and or offering options to do them weekdays during regular hours. And you know what, clients were able to find time on my timetable or paid the premium (rare). Over the years, the high-maintenace clients went by the wayside and now I'm so much happier with my current client list. Hope 2016 brings you all that you deserve!

I love January with the new beginnings and plan to purge by selling or donate. My house/closets are filled with just too much.
jbonomo
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Marti » Jan 6th, '16, 11:55 am

Good on you, Denise! You need to take time for yourself and your family.

For me, the goal is to finally complete the house projects that are not finished. Not done b/c we want to spend time with the kids and do the fun stuff when we are home and partly due to procrastination. ;) We have had a small section on our living room wall for over a year with paint samples- I kid you not. :o Doable projects. Honestly, there are times that the kids can totally entertain themselves while we get some things done. Plus, our youngest is all about helping right now, so I am sure we can recruit her.
I have also been on a continuous purge. Kids' old toys and things are pretty much done. The crafty space that my daughter now shares with me needs a bit of an update. She is quite the messy crafter so the space is driving me bonkers. We are working on organizing her growing stash.
MARTI :)
Marti
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby doris sander » Jan 7th, '16, 4:53 pm

I don't have any big plans at all and hardly any small ones. I guess after the hustle of December, I really enjoy having nothing to do for a while. January is my hibernation month. It's cold outside, so I like nothing better than sitting in front of my space heater to make all my plans for the year and play with pretty paper. In March I'll totally rev it up again! Now I rest . . .
Doris

blog: dorissander.blogspot.com

doris sander
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby soapHOUSEmama » Jan 8th, '16, 8:04 am

PURGING! - I love purging! lol. We don't even have that much storage around here as I am a fan of using what we have and to me.... if I need storage, I have too much stuff.

Ahhh - but that's not my plan as we already have it pretty minimal around here. Our new years plans have turned out to be full of renovations. We have torn down walls... taken out a coat closet.... are redoing our main floor/master bath... and the list goes on. Its fun, exciting, and exhausting all at the same time!

Denise - good for you for setting boundaries!!!
soapHOUSEmama
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to QOTD