QOTD January 14

Question of the Day

QOTD January 14

Postby DeniseM » Jan 14th, '15, 9:08 am

Ten years ago........
My sons were 7 and 8 years old. Bill and I had been married for 7 years and we were living in Connecticut. Bill was remodeling our home and running his business and I had my scrapbooking store, Kookalicious.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: QOTD January 14

Postby nittygrittyjody » Jan 14th, '15, 9:23 am

Ten years ago...
I had four kids at home, ages 6 and under, and one in Heaven. Our family had just moved for my husband's job at Grand Haven Golf Club.
Three of my kiddos were in diapers. Wyndham couldn't walk, and I took her to therapy four days a week. I had never scrapbooked and wouldn't make my first lo for more than a year. :)
I was busy...with many of the same things that still consume my days a whole decade later. Just more mouths to feed and bigger laundry piles. Looking back makes me feel like I have been in a time warp and still am!
Maybe that's what keeps me young at heart. :)
How does 10 years fly by so quickly, Denise?!
Love this thread and think it will be fun to revisit in 10 more years! Hopefully we'll all still be friends at CD!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jan 14th, '15, 9:26 am

How did it go by so fast Jody?
Have a great day lady!
Hope you fit some fun things into your day today.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Jan 14th, '15, 9:45 am

Ten years ago we were living in the North Chicago suburbs and jussssst about ready to find out we were going to move to where we live now, the town where Mick and I met, living a quarter of a mile away from my cousin and her husband. This couple was the reason Mick and I met in the first place! We met at their wedding rehearsal dinner. (Mick was a close college friend with Mark, my cousin Holly's husband. We ended up living 1/4 mile from them. Mark ended up being our Ian's jr high and now high school principal. Our boys were 6 and 2+ at the time and what a journey it has been since then!
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby LauraC » Jan 14th, '15, 10:34 am

Ten years ago . . .

2005 - it was my daughter's senior year. She was active in band, cheerleading, competitive cheer, choir, soccer, and school musicals. On top of preparing for graduation and college testing. My youngest son was a sophmore and active in band and played basketball - which here in our town is a year round activity for both.

What I remember is all of the above activities but trying to get finances ready for graduation open house, expenses with all the above activities and getting ready for the band Disney World trip in November. The rest of it is a blur!!!!
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby JanetS » Jan 14th, '15, 10:36 am

Ten years ago, the migraines were probably worse. My husband was working full-time and finally got a much needed salary raise! I wasn't scrapbooking, but was knitting and sewing and working a little at a sewing store. My husband and I were trying to make much needed improvements and clean-up on his family's neglected beach house. We were also working on our house: remodeled failing bathrooms and began gardening projects. My husband's prostate cancer was in another stage and responding well to treatment. :)
JanetS
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Jan 14th, '15, 10:46 am

This makes me feel funny.

10yrs ago, I was living where I am right now.
Louis was almost 3 and Hollie was 5.

I was married to someone who I never knew if he would come home with a slap or a kiss for me or would even come home at all and possibly be spending the night with someone else. I lived on the edge and felt sick most of the time and did my best to keep him happy and when anything happened I always blamed myself thinking that I could have done better.
I lived a lie pretending to be the perfect wife and that we had the perfect family to all of those on the outside.

I rarely saw my Mum and didn't really have a relationship at all with my sister.

I started chatting with Ade in the May and we became friends and I let him in on everything and I decided that I deserved better than my current situation.
Now 10yrs on and we'll be celebrating our 8th wedding anniversary in March.
I see my Mum every month and my sister is my best friend and we speak at least once a day.
She's out of her abusive relationship too and her hubby is also best friends with Ade and I.

Funny how things turn out.
My previous life doesn't seem real anymore. I can't believe I allowed myself and the kids to live like that. I am such a different person now.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby LauraC » Jan 14th, '15, 10:55 am

wow - alot happens in 10 years!

Oh I just popped back in to say I was scrapbooking ten years ago but very very limited and oh my, have I come a long way baby!
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jjflair » Jan 14th, '15, 11:25 am

Oh my! Great stories and amazed at how life can transition so much in 10 years' time.

Ten years ago I was really hitting my stride in my career. I was working as a Forensic Scientist in the alcohol unit, testing blood, servicing all the breath testing instruments in the county, and feeling very confident as an expert witness in DUI cases. I was heading to a Drug Identification class in Virginia with the DEA, expanding my knowledge and expertise to narcotics analysis.

I was constantly receiving calls from the school about my 1st grader's behavior, even though Mike was the work-from-home parent that was meant to be called first. The principal at the school was a bully to women, and avoided contacting the dads. I was so fed up, "Mr! I am on the oppose coast, 3000 miles away! What do you expect me to do??"

What I did was quit my job. My son needed a parent who could advocate for him full time. I regretted that I had gone back to work, and had invariably missed many of the developmental markers that he wasn't meeting, that my sweet and loving husband just accepted as "the way Jeremy is". I wasn't home. I was gone before everyone got up in the morning and the kids were practically in bed when I'd get home from work. It would be another year and a half before we finally received his autism diagnosis.

Ten years later, with both my kids doing so well and so close to finishing high school, I find myself wanting to quit my current job so I can be home again, to not miss anything.
jjflair
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby iskawire » Jan 14th, '15, 12:15 pm

Wow - these are amazing ten years ago turn around stories! Wonder if these stories are scrapbooked?

Ten Years ago - I was six months in on married life with my sweet hubby (having been divorced the year before - similar pattern to many of you ladies). I was working as a fundraiser for Girl Scouts and looking for my next career move. No kiddos. I was scrapping, but infrequently. Jarad was a new fireman - having graduated from the Fire Academy in 2004. I still had my father and grandfather (they died of cancer in 2009 and 2010). I was a Scout leader and a Drill Team Director in my spare time.
Iska Wire
Houston, TX
iskawire
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby AmberCA » Jan 14th, '15, 1:08 pm

Wow, these stories are all incredible!

Ten years ago....
My daughters were 7 and 5 and I was in the thick of homeschooling. Life was so simple back then, and I loved every minute of it. We lived in the same town only in a much smaller home. I was really into 'Creative Memories' back then and scrapbooking a lot in my free time.
***Amber***
AmberCA
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Nicole N » Jan 15th, '15, 9:33 am

10 years ago, I was pregnant with Lucas and arguing with my MIL over our newly born nephew who was born with Down Syndrome. I will spare you the details, but she is not a nice lady and it was a bad time for my sister in law and her husband.

I was working at a job I loved and now miss it so.
Nicole N
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

Postby DeniseM » Jan 15th, '15, 10:07 am

Lisa darling, I am so happy you are not where you were 10 years ago!! Love you. :-* You have kicked ass at life lady!
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to QOTD