QOTD November 6th

Question of the Day

QOTD November 6th

Postby DeniseM » Nov 6th, '14, 8:48 am

Where would you most like to live?

That has changed for me over the years. I do love Montana for many reasons but the lack of sun in the winter has become an increasing problem for me. I want sunshine. I think ideally I would love to some day live part of the year here in Missoula and part of the year by the ocean in the sunshine. That sounds heavenly. I don't know if that will ever happen but a girl can dream.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: QOTD November 6th

Postby LauraC » Nov 6th, '14, 9:11 am

I often wondered why so many Michigan people became "Snow Birds" but the older I get, the more I hate the lack of sun and driving in the snow. So I agree with Denise, all things being financially doable, I would find a mid-winter warm retreat to go to in the winter. Somewhere by an ocean and warm weather and SUNSHINE
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 6th, '14, 9:20 am

On the same block as my parents. :)

I really wouldn't care where that is...they are just such a great help and they are my best friends too! So when we lived in Minnesota for the 11 months we did, it was a taste of how great it was to be by them. Living 12 hours away in a different state is no fun, but I am slowly trying to see the reason why we ended up back in Michigan.

I would live anywhere warmer, if we could! There is hopes that it will happen one day with Chip in his golf business. I have a feeling we will live one place for half the year, and another place for the other half once the kids are out of school. Which is a long way off from now!

But yes, Amen to sunshine!!
It makes such a difference in health and moods, it seems!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Nov 6th, '14, 10:26 am

DeniseM wrote:Where would you most like to live?

That has changed for me over the years. I do love Montana for many reasons but the lack of sun in the winter has become an increasing problem for me. I want sunshine. I think ideally I would love to some day live part of the year here in Missoula and part of the year by the ocean in the sunshine. That sounds heavenly. I don't know if that will ever happen but a girl can dream.

Montana is gorgeous!! I wouldn't mind living there in the summers and in Florida in the winters.

We have been discussing this as a whole in my family of late. My mom just visited last week and told me she wants to move by me (she even found a home she loved while here!)-which would be great as she is 80 and more frail than in the past, and it makes me nervous that she drives solo such long distances to see me (MO) and my sister (FL) and she is a snowbird from WI to FL. My dad is content to stay in Wisconsin. He is not a warm weather kind of guy. All that to say, besides my aging parents and figuring out where there final homes will be, Mick and I are thinking about what to do when our oldest graduates in a year. We are thinking of downsizing, keeping our cabin, and buying something smaller until our youngest graduates and keep saving money to buy a place in warmer climate, probably Florida.
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby jessi lute » Nov 6th, '14, 10:32 am

oh so many places!
but near/on the ocean...being a west coast island girl, the ocean is something i miss every day!
we plan to move to the east next summer...
but i could pick and move just to experience life somewhere else to many places...
i'd live in england, and italy, and france, and greece, and scotland, spain, the netherlands....
to name a few. i've gypsy blood roving in me ;)
jessi lute
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Funky Fairy » Nov 6th, '14, 11:11 am

You all know where I'm going to say :)

We'd been home Friday for about 2 hours, I was unpacking.
Ade asked if I had the opportunity to jump straight back on that plane would I?
That answer was easy.

I wonder if alot of it has to do with weather too.
It feels light and open in Florida.
I miss those sunrises and the sun sets.
All that space.

It feels dark and closed in here.

I guess our ideal would be to keep our home in England and have a place in Florida too.
We do love where we live in England.
Our town is perfectly situated as far as we are concerned.
But we love Florida too.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby mlepitts » Nov 6th, '14, 11:39 am

Colorado is really a lovely place, we have sunshine most of the year and the winters aren't terribly bad, it's rarely overcast. It's a good place to live if you need sunshine, but like the seasons. I love that the summers are humid either. :)

My husband would say on the top of a mountain, far away from people. I'd like a little bit of civilization, but do find a mountaintop in Switzerland appealing. He'd also like to live in a tiny house, have you seen those? I think when I'm 80, I'm not going to want to climb a latter to get to my bed for naps and sleeping. But the idea is intriguing.

I think I would love Victoria, BC. But it might be too cloudy in the end. Colorado has spoiled us. I used to say Minnesota, it didn't matter that it was cold. But now I do like the low humidity and sunshine, so I'd be happy to stay right where I am.

We have started looking at land and thought about planting an apple orchard here along the Front Range. :)
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby bonitarose » Nov 6th, '14, 11:54 am

This is a great question.
My hubby Greg and I are actually right where we wanna be. We have a little beach cottage on the ocean in NE Florida in Ormond By The Sea, a bit North of Daytona and South of Saint Augustine. We moved here in Oct 2012.. so it's been a bit over two years now. We moved fr the cold plains of Fargo ND. It was always a dream of ours too.
So those of you that have a dream of living in a coastal community. don't give up.
It honestly takes tons of planning, sacrifice and research... but it can be done.. look at us!

It was a five year plan for us.
While my daughters who live in Canada were still in high school.. we lived in Fargo about 3 hours away, to be closer to them ..Once they both graduated high school and knew what they were doing and were financially sound... we knew it was the right time to live our dreams and move somewhere south to try it. We always had the goal of finding a coastal community, somewhere near the water, near the ocean. Big dream. Huge dream for both of us.
The last year we were in Fargo.. we knew in a year we'd wanna move.. so we started researching areas online, prices of living, etc.. and we narrowed it down to the NE coast of FL between Melbourne and Amelia Island. We weren't picky.

Hubby works remotely from home, so we can live anywhere. Blessed for sure.

God gave us a little old beach cottage on the beach.. yah i know. pinch me. We know we can probably not afford this indefinitely.. but it was a dream of ours to live on the beach for a little while in our lives, and right now, we're blissfully happy here. I'm retired. My hubby has a great job and works fr home, and we spend tons of time together here and love it.

Living ON THE BEACH takes sacrifice. Coastal properties aren't cheap. We know we could be living in a far bigger home just a few miles inland, but there's something to be said for living on the water. The sounds of the ocean and that salty air does wonders.

So for now.. we're exactly where we wanna be.
We love it here in our community.

Maybe in the next few years, if we find we just don't wanna keep paying the high rent for this beach house, we may move in the area, but just a few blocks west.. still close to the beach, but not on it.. we'll see. Time will tell.
For now.. we love our life here.
Do it if you can.. those of you that wanna live on the ocean or near the ocean.
Even if it's just for a little while.
Every day I look around and feel blessed to be here yet one more day.
xo
bonitarose
Daisy Girl
Daisy Girl

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby JanetS » Nov 6th, '14, 1:12 pm

Every time we go on vacation somewhere, I always think about living there. My husband and I talk about this and have discussed second-home options, condos, time-shares, etc. We just haven't done it. We bought a one week time-share in Bend, Oregon years ago and that's it. Both of us grew up in Portland, Oregon and despite the rain, we have loved living here. Our families are here or elsewhere in the state. Although Portland has really grown, it's still friendly and relaxed. If you like the beach, the mountains, or more sunshine and the high desert you can travel there in a relatively short time. We have been very, very lucky and fortunate in this way. :)
JanetS
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AshleyCalder » Nov 6th, '14, 2:36 pm

I'd probably like to live in a little cottage in the middle of nowhere. :)
AshleyCalder
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Sherry C » Nov 6th, '14, 3:30 pm

I truly love where we live, but I wouldn't mind a little beach house in Sanibel Island or Captiva. One of my favorite places ever is Sausilito, CA. I could definitely live there.
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to QOTD