QOTD November 5th

Question of the Day

QOTD November 5th

Postby DeniseM » Nov 5th, '14, 9:55 am

Yesterday was election day in the States. Are you a political person? Let's not discuss politics, just if it matters to you.

I grew up in a very politically active home and politics was a passionate discussion in our home since I can remember. I live in a totally different political climate in Montana then the Northeast and in the past 7 years I have become more and more quiet. This next Presidential election is something I am totally dreading. People get so crazy and I just don't care anymore. I will vote but I am no longer engaging in discussions anymore. It's too exhausting. What I find so interesting is how instead of ideas being argued it's become about actually believing your opponent is purposely trying to "destroy" the country. It's just ridiculous. The average person on both sides of most issues are good people just trying to do their best.

I'd rather be happy than right.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: QOTD November 5th

Postby Kelly in Canada » Nov 5th, '14, 10:01 am

i am not really a political person but i live with my dh who is very much a political person so i am learning to be more interested and engaged the older i become.
Kelly in Canada
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Nov 5th, '14, 12:13 pm

I love to watch politics but HATE to be in the ardent "my way or the highway" discussions. This mid-term election cycle, my facebook had many RESPECTFUL posts about politics. Mostly, I just skimmed past. I don't participate in political discussions on Facebook. If you know me in real life, you know where my politics lay but it doesn't really matter to me if you are a democrat, a republican, independent, tea party or whatever. I can respect the opinions of others without going ballistic or having to change your mind.

I liked watching the results come in last night. I'm not thrilled with some of them but in my world, it won't affect me on a personal level. Financially maybe but that really isn't what my motivation in life is about.

I'm disappointed with all the in fighting and the nastiness.
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mlepitts » Nov 5th, '14, 1:14 pm

I agree with you Denise, the absolutes of the accusations are amazing. And the fact that ONE person can destroy everything we've been working for kind of makes me laugh. I do vote, I am so grateful for that privilege. I also do research and pay attention. And I pray before I vote. I pray that I'll choose the right people and that the people elected will make right choices.

I don't answer the phone during the month's prior to an election though :)
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Funky Fairy » Nov 5th, '14, 2:03 pm

Ade and I talk about it and we chat with the kids about things over dinner sometimes but that's about it.

I don't like 'heated discussions' so avoid these subjects when I think this could arise.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby Sherry C » Nov 5th, '14, 2:07 pm

I do care about politics, but can't stand the negativity or the extremists on both sides.
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Nov 5th, '14, 6:10 pm

I care deeply about my country and how it develops and grows. I care deeply about my freedom. The Constitution. Life. Liberty. The pursuit of happiness. The future and the legacy that we will leave our children and their children... I believe everyone should be free to voice their opinions and that they not be stifled-no matter how much one agrees or disagrees with those opinions.
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Sharmaine » Nov 5th, '14, 6:41 pm

I saw part of a doco the other night. It was talking about genes and how they determine your political stance.
Found that interesting and also the idea of politics and religion usually go hand in hand.
Means we are all predisposed to a certain line of thinking rather than "free thought" (which is what we all think we have/do).
At the end of the day each person is individual and has their own beliefs, history and ideas.
Politics isn't something we discuss heavily. Here in Australia it is compulsory for everyone over 18 to vote for the State and National elections. We've talked about the process of voting and a democratic society with the girls. How we have different political parties and why each are important in the process. We might debate topics that are raised by politicians and see what each of us thinks but that's about it. We want the girls to grow up knowing their opinion counts and that each of us can make a difference. I think it's important to have an opinion but not necessarily to debate it in a public arena in a way that offends, belittles or degrades others. That part of politics is just s.t.u.p.i.d.
Sharmaine
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Funky Fairy » Nov 6th, '14, 4:51 am

Wow compulsory Sharmaine!!
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby DeniseM » Nov 6th, '14, 8:43 am

I had read that somewhere about voting being compulsory in Australia.
So different than here where 2/3 of voters didn't show up to vote in this election. :(
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 6th, '14, 8:57 am

My husband is very interested in politics and has been- as he was a political science major. He interned and lived in DC for awhile even after graduating from college, so it is in his blood. He is passionate about supporting certain people based on the issues they stand for and represent.

But he understands that it is a very flawed thing and the closer one is to the center of it all- the ways laws and programs come about- you see firsthand the corruption involved. So he left DC, but still cares deeply about people, issues and government.

I was raised to be very aware of the issues, to study all sides and people involved and to make informed choices as best as you can. But never did I see politics involve name-calling or as a means to hurt others or judge them.
So flash forward and as grown ups it has been crazy and challenging to be a part of an extended family where members literally 'unfriend' one another over differing views on politics {well, and religion too, but they sometimes overlap}. So sad because we literally have no relationship with several of our family members simply because they believe that having heated arguments over topics which we will never see eye-to-eye on, {nor will things change over a dinner table!} is appropriate on holidays or other family gatherings.

We have no desire to spend hours in a van stuffed with our kids and bags, just to spend time defending our beliefs or arguing our viewpoints. I choose to stay out of all of it- so sad that something so trivial can cause such drama. It has opened my eyes though and I have found that I LOVE my friends and family with differing viewpoints and I so welcome discussions on any topic! But not to the point where someone chooses to be mean-spirited or simply can't discuss without being hurtful or angry.

We have learned that friends are more important than family in many regards. The same people who hurl the hurt and anger are the ones who keep talking about having "tolerance and non-judgment" for others. I just try to practice grace in all things in life- even, or should I say especially in regards to politics. It's sad that this country is so divided, but when I can see it so clearly just on the family level, it's no wonder we seem to be getting no where as a whole country.

I am glad I am not trying to lead a nation!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 6th, '14, 9:03 am

Sharmaine wrote:I saw part of a doco the other night. It was talking about genes and how they determine your political stance.
Found that interesting and also the idea of politics and religion usually go hand in hand.
Means we are all predisposed to a certain line of thinking rather than "free thought" (which is what we all think we have/do).

Then Chip must be adopted in his family. :D

But I think it's true- how you are raised definitely influences to a certain degree. But experiences all shape the way people see the world. I am just always surprised with as many brilliant, innovative people in our country and around the world, that some of the issues of the day still are so big and have no good solutions/answers. Like how there is still hunger and homelessness and abuses in systems at every level. It's sad that with as much money and power in the world, there is still so much poverty and pain. Equality really seems like a dream more than something that can be achieved.
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to QOTD