SUMMER CROP 2014 DENISE'S WATERCOLOR CLASS

SUMMER CROP 2014 DENISE'S WATERCOLOR CLASS

Postby DeniseM » Jul 19th, '14, 4:01 pm

There is probably no secret that I enjoy using watercolors and paints in my work. It's also no secret to me that they are a very cheap and easy technique to to use and add to scrapbooking, PL, art journaling and card making. This is just a quick FYI with tips and plenty of time for you to ask any questions you might have.

There are supplies that I use that I will list here. You don't have to use what I use. It's just a suggestion.

Okay, some supplies:

For paper I prefer a heavy card stock, preferably 120 lb. I also use watercolor paper. There is a very expensive cold pressed 300lb watercolor paper that I love. It can take a ton of water without buckling but I don't usually use it for scrapbooking since it is so expensive. I also use regular watercolor paper. Target has a really great little pad that is at least 120lb and it's less than 5 dollars! I also will use patterned scrapbooking paper but will usually stick to a heavier stock like Crate paper or our own Cocoa Daisy. Our exclusive papers are a really good weight for paint. White or manila shipping tags also work wonderfully.

I do prime my paper with gesso most times. When I am using watercolor paper I usually don't. But card stock or patterned paper really needs the extra weight (or tooth) to hold up to the water that is added. Any brand will do. Cheap gesso is in my mind just as good as expensive gesso. I use a cut up credit card to scoop out of the jar and then a pallet knife or my new Catalyst scrapper. I purchased it at Micheals.

I use several kinds of watercolors. My favorite are the cheap pan watercolors from the craft store. I also use Twinking H20's which have mica powder in them to make them sparkly. You can also use spray inks by spritzing them into a paint pan. Another helpful tool is a little spritzer filled with water.

For brushes I prefer sable or natural bristle brushes as opposed to synthetic. I find that the natural brushes have a better flow of paint. I suggest you experiment to find what you like. I also use acrylic blocks and the plastic covering from embellishment packaging. I will show you this later.

First we will do a simple exercise. I like to spritz my watercolor pan with water first before I start. This helps prime the colors. With watercolors, too much water makes the color very weak and transparent, too little creates a too strong pigment, unless you want that. While I am waiting for my colors to soften, I am going to use a sharpie on my watercolor paper from Target. I draw some hearts.
With my brush dipped in the paint color I paint the heart. The pink has too much water at first and the color is a bit pale for my taste. I decided to squeeze out the water and then dip my brush into the color again. The second time is darker and less transparent.

I continued with other colors.

As soon as the hearts were dry, I cut them out and set them aside. I decided to make a card. I used some pre made cards that are pretty flimsy so I knew I would need some gesso to give them more weight and tooth for some watercolors. I gessoed the front of the card and dried it with my embossing gun.
When it was dry I spritzed some water onto the paper and then added a brush full of pigment.
I will be honest here, it's usually a crap shoot what happens. with your brush just push the paint around. If it's too much pigment or water and you want a softer effect, you can blot with a paper towel.
Now this card really buckled even when it was dry. It doesn't bother me too much but you can always weigh your piece down to flatten it. Or you can use an iron with a towel placed over your paper.
I added some pieces from the August kit and those little hearts I painted and ta da! A card.
Next up is my little tricks for those random watercolory backgrounds I make.
I decided to use the exclusive Cocoa Daisy papers because as I said, they are a good weight for adding paint without buckling or soaking the paper. I did use some gesso on the paper to protect it. I have learned that a nice smooth, thin layer of gesso works best. You can still see the pattern lightly through the paper and it dries quickly and gives a nice smooth finish.
I take the plastic wrapping off the embellishment packages, or sandwich bags and paint directly onto them. I then press the bag or wrapping onto my paper in random patterns. Sometimes I do this later during my creative process when there is already layers of paper and embellishments but today we will just do the background. I started with a lovely shade of blue watercolor.
I have seen other scrappers do this after sketching out a layout so that they know where they want color to be on the background. I think that is a great idea, I am just too lazy to do it.
I usually dry my layers with my embossing gun. I am not patient.
Then I add another layer/color. This time green. Remember, most watercolors are not permanent and will blend together when water is added. That often makes for some interesting effects but be aware that too many colors combined make a brownish/grey color. Basically mud. So try to keep the colors to a minimum or keep them separate.
Another thing I do to get a random look to my colors is painting on acrylic blocks. I then press them onto my background.
You can also use the acrylic blocks to spray on and then stamp onto your paper.
The finished background is really cool. When I was drying with the heat gun I actually blew some of the extra paint into drips.
Most of the background will probably be covered by paper and embellishments but it still looks really nice peaking out. All paper/embellishments are from the August kit
Lastly I will show you a quick really beautiful way to create a watercolor element for a layout/card/PL spread. I used some small, white shipping tags.
Spritz your tray again to soften the colors and then dip your brush into some water and paint your tags. Don't worry about how the color goes on. Random is good.
As they dry the tags might curl a bit, just flatten them for a bit under some books if you have to. Mine dried flat! I took some white card stock and elements from the August kit and had some fun. Simple right?

Really I just want to encourage you to play. Sometimes it's intimidating to use supplies we aren't accustomed to. This isn't heart surgery, it's scrapbooking. A 4 dollar watercolor tablet from Target and some cheap pan watercolors from the craft store will allow you to experiment. If you have any questions I will try to help. I am not an expert, most of the techniques and ideas I have happen by accident!

Have fun!
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: SUMMER CROP 2014 DENISE'S WATERCOLOR CLASS

Postby Funky Fairy » Jul 19th, '14, 4:02 pm

I love this Denise.
Thanks for sharing.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby DeniseM » Jul 19th, '14, 4:05 pm

You are welcome!
Any questions feel free to ask ladies.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AnnaB » Jul 19th, '14, 4:09 pm

I really love these techniques Denise! The watercolour look is amazing!
AnnaB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jul 19th, '14, 4:12 pm

I actually figured out that packaging film idea by accident. I am messy when I create and often ruin things because I don't stop and move things out of the way. I was spraying some ink and got some on some packaging. Instead of wasting it I put it on my paper. I loved how it just smooched around and did it's own thing. I like a random look and sometimes with brushes it looks too perfect. Now I just paint on the film and press it onto my paper. surprise!
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Sherry C » Jul 19th, '14, 4:13 pm

So many gorgeous tips and techniques, Denise! The card is fabulous and the pink background paper with the paint is stunning! Thanks for sharing and encouraging us to try new things!
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jul 19th, '14, 4:15 pm

Thanks Sherry. That paper is Stephanie's, it comes in the August kit. The Cocoa Daisy papers are a really nice weight for paint.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Ami » Jul 19th, '14, 4:25 pm

Yey! Thanks for the inspiration. :)
Ami
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Ami » Jul 19th, '14, 4:52 pm

image.jpg

Dripping and splashing. :)
Ami
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby scrapnatya » Jul 19th, '14, 5:17 pm

I love LOVE love these projects Denise! Watercolors are just so much fun and so freeing! Once I kick this dizziness to the curb, I'm jumping in!
scrapnatya
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby kissy » Jul 19th, '14, 5:45 pm

Thank you so much for sharing these tips with us Denise, beautiful as always :)
And I am really happy to hear that the CD papers hold up well to artsy layers.
Christine
kissy
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby sassiescrapper » Jul 19th, '14, 6:04 pm

Love the acrylic block and baggy painting tips. Thanks for sharing about the gesso treatment too. I'm going to have to try these fun and artsy techniques.
sassiescrapper
Daisy
Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jul 19th, '14, 6:08 pm

Ami I love your drips and splashes!!
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jjflair » Jul 19th, '14, 8:15 pm

This is awesome, Denise!! Thank you for taking some of the mystery out of using watercolors. I adore that card! And the sneaky bits of the two layouts are great! You always have the coolest painty backgrounds.

Can't wait to try these techniques!! Also, thank you for the lead on watercolor paper at Target!
jjflair
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Jul 19th, '14, 8:30 pm

I am ready to dig out my paints in the morning! Love all your thoughts and ideas, Denise!

I have a question...have you ever mixed watercolor into gesso? If so, what type of result do you get from that?

I have some acrylic paints and I like to water them down and play around too. I bet we could make an awesome mess together!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby sillypea » Jul 20th, '14, 8:02 am

Very pretty! Fun technique for sure - love watching you artsy gals get your craft on!
sillypea
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby marsha. » Jul 20th, '14, 3:31 pm

Tags and page are drying... I didn't feel like gesso-ing first so I did the technique on watercolour paper. Not sure it worked, but the result looks cool to me anyway ;-).

Thank you Denise!
marsha.
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Nicole N » Jul 21st, '14, 7:31 am

thanks for putting this together Denise!! I love the watercolor look but now know, I am adding too much water!!!
Nicole N
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

Postby Jeany » Jul 22nd, '14, 4:26 am

Thank you Denise for your lovely tutorial! I will try it out, especially watercolors on the background!
My blog
/Jeanette
Jeany
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby lostinadream » Jul 23rd, '14, 1:50 pm

Great tutorial Denise! Thank you! I loved the results so much I used it on one of my challenge pages too! I've been wondering how to get that look for a while now and it was so easy!!

Here's the first one I did:

And the 2nd (for challenge #1)

The only problem I ran into was the paper refuses to lay flat now, so it's hard to take a good photo of it! Thanks for the inspiration! :)
~Kimmy~
lostinadream
Daisy Girl
Daisy Girl

Next

Return to Online Crops