Jody's "Layers of Goodness" class~

Jody's "Layers of Goodness" class~

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 1st, '13, 7:55 pm

It starts in 5 minutes and I brought doughnuts because I know some of you already need a quick pick-me-up from all the activity that is going on around here this evening. So hello and grab yourself a drink to go with these!

nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: Jody's "Layers of Goodness" class~

Postby alissa » Nov 1st, '13, 7:56 pm

hey jody!
those look delish, but no thanks. ;)

can't wait to see your class!
alissa
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 1st, '13, 7:57 pm

Since there may be more than 9 of us, here are a few more so that everyone at least gets one! ;)

Enjoy!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 1st, '13, 7:58 pm

I love people with more will power than me. You're awesome, Alissa! I shouldn't even be teasing anyone here. Hopefully no offense taken. At least these are calorie and carb-free!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby alissa » Nov 1st, '13, 7:58 pm

they are so pretty! :)
alissa
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 1st, '13, 8:01 pm

Okay, so I am two minutes early, but it is my first class and I have butterflies with excitement, so I am just going to get started. Feel free to take a seat and just hang out, or jump in and ask questions and chat it up. I am here for the next hour and am going to post the class in its entirety in just a moment.

It is heavy text and photo-based and I hope you can all get through it okay in an hour. If you want to glance over it and then ask questions, I am all ears!
So glad that you are all here tonight and so excited for this class.

If you are looking for "Layers of Goodness 101" you are in the right spot. I'll be right back!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 1st, '13, 8:03 pm

Hello and welcome to my first-ever class! I hope that you all enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed putting the project and instructions together. I hope that it all makes sense, or if not, that at very least I will share enough snapshots of the project that you can build on the ideas and make a wonderful project all your own!

To start, I first want to say welcome again! I know there are so many activities, games, chats and challenges at this crop, so thanks for making time to be here tonight. If you have any questions or suggestions as I post tonight, please don't hesitate to ask or share. I am sure I will have missed something- there are a lot of layers to this class. :D

A quick background into my inspiration and then I will get on with sharing the process and pictures...I have seen several different altered clipboards and yet I have never made one of my own. I spotted one on Pinterest that jumped out at me and it was formatted to work as a December Daily journal. I loved the idea of piling up pages and so I took that idea and put my own spin on it. The result is this class: "Layers of Goodness". Layers is obviously in reference to all the pages and also to the way the pages are individually created- with lots of layers to them! But the goodness part is in reference to a few things- one is to the month of November {Happy November 1st everyone!} and how lots of people like to document daily gratitudes. That would be perfectly fitting for this class! Another is how I think we all have so many good things to use in our scrap stash and I hope that you will dig into some of your favorite things as you create your own project. There are so many 'good things' that we could all scrap about, so I hope you jump at the chance with this class and scrap some of them in your life at this very moment too.

There you have it. Layers of Goodness~ let's get started on putting it all together!
The first thing you will want to decide is the actual format of your final project. I designed this class to have 3 different options for the end result, depending on your taste or what you have on hand to use. The three choices are to make either a clipboard-style layered 'book', a garland, or an actual mini book.

You don't actually have to have a clipboard, but could make the project and clip it all together later. You could also cut some heavy cardboard down to use as the base and add a large clip or hole punch it and use a ribbon- like a modified clipboard. Whatever you like best is what I would tell you to do!

Here are a few examples of that...you can get basic clipboards almost anywhere. They are pretty cheap- I got an 8 1/2 x 11 one at Target for $1.89 and a smaller 5x7 one at Wal-Mart for $1.67, I think. Feel free to play around with the base of your shape if you are cutting one, or changing up the shape and size of your pages as you create. It adds more texture and that is part of what gives a project like this the look and charm that it has. I didn't measure a single thing for this project, and hand-cut everything. But if you like precision and exactness makes you happy when you craft, then by all means, use your paper trimmer and measure. But hopefully you will find that just cutting and letting go of perfection is a fun thing about being creative. There are no wrong ways for this to turn out! :D

Nest you will want to grab several papers and try to mix up the patterns and textures of those as well. I used my new favorite Cocoa Daisy kit- November's Stargazing kit, plus the add-on Andromeda papers. Love them all and they just seemed to be made for this project!
See?! Love 'em!

Nest you will want to decide your theme or purpose for the project. I already mentioned it would be great for recording November gratitudes, or it could be your December Daily too! I printed off a fairly recent photo of each of my family members {we make a thick book just by us! I have a hubby and 6 kids at home.} and came up with the title of "I Thank My Lucky Stars" because at the end of the day, even when I am weary and worn out from keeping up with all the demands that these {lovable!} people put on me, I love them to bits and thank my lucky stars that I have each one of them in my life. They are my goodness in life right now. And always will be, I am sure of that! So go ahead, grab your paper, think of a topic and then you need to grab your photos to go with that if you will be using pictures.

I went with the smaller 5x7clipboard for this, so I printed my pictures smaller to fit. I wanted them all to have a cohesive look and even though they are different settings or backgrounds or faces vs. full body I punched the pictures with a corner rounder to make them "go together" more.

Once you have your idea and pictures planned out, it is time to start the fun part...making it all come to life!
For me, since my theme was "lucky stars" I knew I wanted some stars in the project. The Stargazing kit theme was in my head to, so I first made some handcut stars. If you have a Silhouette it is perfect for a project like this with layers.

I love that this kind of project invites you to play around with your stash, and to try different techniques. I knew I wanted to use my sewing machine for this and so I handcut different textured papers and even some clear packaging from some bags that stickers came in. I just wanted to see what worked and what didn't and so that is one of my tips for you. Just pull some of your favorite items- or maybe grab something you haven't used or tried in awhile and just have fun with it! One of the stars that had packaging kind of buckled and didn't lay right as I sewed it. No problem! I just tucked that corner under one of my photos later on and it worked perfect! Letting go of the outcome made the process of creating so enjoyable for me. Hopefully that is one thing you will take away from my scrapping. I love "breaking rules" or cutting something wrong and then finding a way to make it a beautiful part of a project anyway. Okay! So use what you have on hand or make some new embellishments and you are already on your way to loving the end result.

Here are a couple of pictures of the basic "pages" I made for this project. I love those glassine envelopes that come with the extra bits and pieces in the kit. They are a great texture and I love the opacity of them. They look "dreamy" to me and fit the theme of stars, so for several of the pages I either cut a piece of patterned paper to fit the envelope, or I simply used it as the background and stitched or stapled a piece of paper to the top. I mixed and matched the sizes and shapes of the pages too, just to add more character and to give it all a 'bulky' feel. I played around with using my mists and alphas to create a background paper too. You could use lots of the challenges from the crop this weekend and try all the techniques on different pages of this project. The smaller size of the pages makes it great for this!

Here are the basic pieces to my cover page. Again, I used a vellum envelope and pp and then I used a small piece of packaging and put some of the exclusive 'confetti' from the Stargazing kit in it and then I sewed around the edges to make this little banner/ribbon piece. I didn't know exactly where I would put it or how it would be used on my cover. I just knew I had fun making it and I would make it work on the project. For me the "not knowing" and just having fun with the process is half the excitement. But you can skip making all the bits and pieces and use things that are all ready to go from your stash. Things like stickers and ribbon doilies all add texture and work well too!

Here are just a few more examples of the basic pages I made. Mixing patterns and colors is what makes this final project look funky too. So I just cut lots of different pp and had fun using up lots of my kit!

Okay, this is really simple, but I am throwing in a tiny tutorial on making your own tags. I love the look of anything little and so I wanted a small tag or two on my project. This one I ended up tying right to the clip of the clipboard so it can be seen as you look through each page. I hand cut the shape of the tag out of one of Stephanie's cool designs, and then I used a tiny hole punch at the top. I came up with the genius idea of using a tiny 'o' from one of my alphabet sticker packs for a contrasting reinforcement circle before I added a cute piece of baker's twine. Maybe you all are so smart and have used your 'o's this way for a while, but I just thought it was so silly that I have never thought of this before! So there's your added bonus in the class. You know can make your own cute tags for all your Christmas gifts and projects from now on! ;)

Now that I have shown you my basic pages, the cover and how I made a few custom pieces for this project, the rest of the pages are sort of all based on these basic concepts. I am just going to show you several pictures of the projects and my pages, and you can take any of the ideas and run with them as you scrap your own project. I got so busy making my pages that I didn't stop and take photos of their actual process. But hopefully with a few close-ups and your own scrap abilities you will find yourself inspired to create this project! So here are the pages of my clipboard project...

As you can see in these examples, when you are layering and wanting lots of texture, one of my best tips to achieve that result is to use variety- so washi tape, staples, thread, pop-dots, glitter, wood veneer, vellum, felt, mist, paint, stamps, doilies, tags, envelopes, mixed-up sizes and shapes....all of these elements are your friends!!

On this page of my oldest son Brock, I used the stamps for November and simply cut around them on a piece of felt. Try to use your products in new ways and think out-of-the box and you will get some new and fun results. I love how they turned out and yet most of the time I am simply thinking "stamps and inkpads'! I can't stress enough about playing around with what you have and just using what you love from your stash.
In order to not be overwhelmed though with all the choices you do have when you sit down to create a project like this, I recommend that you give yourself some 'limits'. So for this I had a pile of stuff I "LOVE". I knew I had other things from past kits and lots more stamps and bits I could use, but I stayed within the 'pile' of things I had originally pulled and I still had more than enough left over when I was done.

To make the look of your project cohesive- even when using lots of different elements and patterns, it's important to repeat certain things on some of the pages. I did the corner rounder and made my photos the same size. Using a similar color scheme and things like stitching on most of the pages, or using just two or three main alphabets helps to create a unified look in the end. I sort of got carried away and put a lot of stuff on every page. So just filling my pages up an "equal amount" gives them a unified look too. Does that make sense? Hopefully. :D

This is just a detail shot of a little tissue paper embellishment I made. Punching lots of one thing and layering them together adds a fun/subtle dimension.

Here a couple of scraps shaped like triangles made perfect arrows on my page. I loved the feathers in the Stargazing kit too! They are neutral and yet festive on just about anything. I could have used more stars, but like that feathers fit the bill for 'dreamy' to me too.

I loved that paper airplane stamp and so I kept it in mind until I had a tiny spot that seemed just right for it on a page. If you want to use something, you will find a way to sneak it in there! :)

Now, some of you know that I have 6 kids at home, a daughter in Heaven, and one husband. My project is missing my youngest son because the photo I had for his page wasn't my favorite to go in this project. So I didn't sweat about it, I just snapped a few photos of him and uploaded them and have them on order right now. I can add his page in anytime and it'll all work out! No stress. I just wanted you to all know he wasn't forgotten. :)

Seeing the pages pile one on top of each other as I created and crafted this project made me happy. My hope for you is that whether you make a family album of the stars in your life, or scrap a Thankful album, or an all-about me clipboard or a Christmas Countdown is that you will enjoy the process and love the final result.
I promised you "1 class, 3 ways" for this project, and so there you have one. The clipboard holds a lot of layers and is a fun way to display this project in your home.

I took my same pages and strung them along a lovely hand-made crocheted flower garland that a dear friend of mine sent to me all the way from Holland. A bag of clothespins is inexpensive and I might even add some embellishments and paint to them too. When my husband saw this garland hanging in my scrap loft he said, "We need to get hang that down in the living room where we can all see it; it looks great!" This is coming from a guy who loves that I scrap and have friends who love to scrap, but who rarely looks twice at the things I make. So that was a pretty great compliment, and hopefully makes you want to show off what you end up creating too. The people in your life just might love it as much as you!

The third way you can pull off this project I didn't actually do myself, but it is easy and "doable". Simply hole punch all your final pages and use a d-ring to hold them together and add some cute ribbon to hang them up. A pack of d-rings are cheap and easy to find at office supply stores and I even picked mine up at Target. Now I just have to find the time to use more scraps I love and make something cute all over again! I hope you have gotten some good ideas to use on your project. I would LOVE to see any of your creations and hope that you will share them in our gallery here. Thanks for joining me as I shared my process and pictures. I only wish we could be doing this in person! Enjoy the rest of the crop and thanks so much for being a part of this wonderful place! Cocoa Daisy truly is one of the best parts of my life! It's so fun to have people and a special place to share your passions with...Cocoa Daisy is the place for that!

nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 1st, '13, 8:06 pm

The first note I took in class was this...

Note to self: You talk too much! :D

See?! I told you there was a lot of content! Hopefully I didn't totally scare you away.

I am just sitting here enjoying my doughnut. I am ready to chat whenever though!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 1st, '13, 8:14 pm

This class can be the basis for just about every challenge posted here this weekend too. So if you want to play along and try dolor combos and different techniques or just clip all your pages in a clipboard and make a "Cocoa Daisy Fall Crop '13" title page, it would be awesome!

Aren't Cocoa Daisy crops the best?! I love them!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Sharmaine » Nov 1st, '13, 8:17 pm

So so so good Jody!!!
Talk to much???
Never :)
Sharmaine
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby sug » Nov 1st, '13, 8:19 pm

this is beautiful. I cannot wait to start with your ideas and see what happens, thank you
Su
sug
Daisy Girl
Daisy Girl

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 1st, '13, 8:20 pm

I even talk to myself in my head all day long. Big surprise, right, Sharmaine?!

I could have scrapped another 8 pages for this class because I love the Stargazing kit SO MUCH!!

Oh, Su, I can't wait to see what you take away from this. Thanks for your kind remarks!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Pegasuscove » Nov 1st, '13, 8:22 pm

Love this class!! But I am going to have to sleep on this one. I am exhausted and it's only 9:30. See you all in the morning. :-\
Pegasuscove
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 1st, '13, 8:24 pm

I never mentioned that if you click on the photos you can enlarge the images for more detail. Some of the pictures get pretty big!

I will also be putting this project in my gallery too, so you can click through the images there as well.

Get your rest, Peg, you're gonna be busy here tomorrow too! Yay for more cropping all-day fun!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby alissa » Nov 1st, '13, 8:28 pm

this is AWESOME, Jody!!!
i think i love it the very most! :)

i LOVE the idea of putting all the crop challenges on a clipboard book! :)
alissa
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Sherry C » Nov 1st, '13, 8:30 pm

Such a gorgeous project full of scrappy eye candy, Jody! The layers are truly amazing, I can't wait to give it a try! Thanks for sharing your techniques and how you break it down into a manageable project.
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby MandyK » Nov 1st, '13, 8:30 pm

Jody this is AMAZING!! LOVE it!!

I also love that you talk lots!! :-*
MandyK
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 1st, '13, 8:31 pm

Thanks, Alissa!

I had so much fun doing a little page for each family member too.

My biggest problem in the end was that I love the look of both the garland AND the clipboard! So I am just going to have to make one more project so that I can have both.

I might just do an "A-List" clipboard of all the things I love right now. Fun!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Nov 1st, '13, 8:33 pm

Thanks, SherryC and MandyK. I'm glad it makes a bit of sense. I never did go back and re-read it after I wrote it all out.
I don't like to listen to myself- just like when I blog. I type it and hit send. I rarely read my own stuff. :D

Also, I hope you both grabbed a doughnut, otherwise I will have too many leftover for breakfast around here tomorrow. ;)
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby alissa » Nov 1st, '13, 8:33 pm

nittygrittyjody wrote:Thanks, Alissa!

I had so much fun doing a little page for each family member too.

My biggest problem in the end was that I love the look of both the garland AND the clipboard! So I am just going to have to make one more project so that I can have both.

I might just do an "A-List" clipboard of all the things I love right now. Fun!

but yours should be a J List! ;)
alissa
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Next

Return to Online Crops