At home photo printing

Come here to talk about all things scrapbooking!

At home photo printing

Postby Olivia » Apr 3rd, '09, 4:58 pm

I need to purchase a photo printer for my home. What do you have?? Was it a reasonable price? How about the printer ink and photo paper is it astronomical?

Please don't feel like you have to divulge all kinds of personal finance information...I am just asking so that I can try to figure out what is best for me and my budget.

I am more interested in the pros and cons of different at home printers, I can research price later...unless you know of a great deal...then I'd love to hear that!

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.
Olivia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: At home photo printing

Postby helpmeronda » Apr 3rd, '09, 5:05 pm

I had an HP all-in-one printer for years that I just loved. Then I moved on to an oversize printer, a canon. When I had the HP it was great for quick prints but I still did the majority of my printing at Sam's. Now I mostly do at home with some still printed online (big quantities). The ink & paper does cost a bit more to do at home but it so convenient. Love it.
helpmeronda
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby missusem » Apr 3rd, '09, 5:13 pm

I agree with Ronda about the oversize home printer.

I bought a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 in November. An awesome colour printer with great printer quality and easy to use/ configure, etc. I don't print my 4x6 or larger sizes at home but the smaller ones I do and quite enjoy the luxury of having my photos 'right there' when I want them :).

Good luck with your choices! :).
Sue :)
Blog

Image Image
missusem
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SophiaA » Apr 4th, '09, 1:26 am

I have a Canon MP600 and love it...this baby scans too, double bonus.
Wife to Murray, and Mom to 2 Princesses Amy & Chloe ~~ Sophia's World
SophiaA
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby audreykit » Apr 4th, '09, 1:10 pm

I have an HP 8350. it prints up to 13 x 19. It was about $280...DH got it for me for xmas. I LOVE it! The quality of images are great.

For prints, the quality of the prints depends on what paper you buy and what ink you buy. I think that is true for all printers...want better qual? then spend the $ on better papers and inks.
audreykit
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Jennifer_Davis » Apr 6th, '09, 8:13 pm

I love my Epson RX580 which also is a scanner as well...it's been really good to me thus far (I've had it for about two years now). :) It wasn't crazy expensive either!
Jennifer_Davis
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby ErinGudge » Apr 18th, '09, 2:31 am

I am an HP girl all the way. You can get the printer for a very reasonable price, and the ink and papers aren't too expensive. I do recommend spending a bit more and getting a higher quality photo printer, one with individual color ink cartridges is preferable. That way when you run out of magenta, you just replace that one, and not a tricolor cartridge. I have four printers (I'm a junkie), one all in one (generally not the best for photos), one normal photo printer that I'm getting rid of sometime, a personal printer, which prints up to 5x7 and has some really cool features, like I can print a 6x12 photo with it, which I think is awesome, and a large format printer, which is my precious baby. :) I have the HP Photosmart Pro B8850. It was an investment, I'm not sure what retail is, I got in on sale and had a discount for it. The cartridges are each individual color, and I have eight different colors. It is amazingly lifelike in its color rendering.

No matter what brand you buy, never buy imitation refills, and always use the same brand paper as printer for your photo paper.

Um, and my dh works for HP in the printing and imaging division, so I know more than the average consumer about them, whether I really want to or not. :) Tricia probably does too..... knowledge by association.
ErinGudge
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby missusem » Apr 18th, '09, 2:35 am

ErinGudge wrote:
No matter what brand you buy, never buy imitation refills, and always use the same brand paper as printer for your photo paper.

Agree Erin..! It definitely affects quality -- and they can ruin your printer too!
Sue :)
Blog

Image Image
missusem
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to Scrap Talk