HELP! I need advice from the Daisies...

Come here to talk about all things scrapbooking!

HELP! I need advice from the Daisies...

Postby TerryB » Dec 30th, '14, 3:45 pm

I'm seriously struggling with my DD2014 in the 6x8 format. I have a few pages I love, and the rest is just meh. I think I finally figured out what it is that's bothering me. I loved the 8.5x11 DD I did. I love the photos on a crisp white background. I loved sticking mostly to a format, and throwing in a few 8x6 pages. Mostly I think it's missing that white background that I love so much. So....I'm seriously considering starting over. Which makes me happy and sad at the same time. I REALLY wanted to use a 6x8 format because I see so many done that way and just love them, but I'm not loving mine. So Daisies.....do I power through with the 6x8, or do I start over with an 8.5 x 11? Ugh....I know I'm way over thinking this!
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: HELP! I need advice from the Daisies...

Postby soapHOUSEmama » Dec 30th, '14, 3:52 pm

I think you are so smart to really evaluate what it is that you liked so much about your album last year. The white, etc... Plus, I am always in favor of redoing something so that I will like it. There is nothing worse than not wanting to share past scrapping because you don't like it.

So, my suggestion would be to figure out what you like most about the other album and make your current album fit those parameters. If that means starting over, so be it. Or, you could cut out all your pictures and re mount on white?

Anyhoo - don't worry about overthinking it! Just make it so that you are in love with it. :)

Hope this helps!
A
soapHOUSEmama
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby carolynhasacat » Dec 30th, '14, 4:19 pm

If it were me, I would start over. I know I wouldn't finish it in a format that I didn't like. It would continue to bother me and would be on my mind every time I looked at the album. My 2011 was like that for me. It's still sitting there unfinished. I will eventually take it apart and start again with it in a different format.

Part of the learning curve for me in scrapbooking is finding out what I DON'T like as well as what I do like. And I'm often surprised by what falls into which category!
carolynhasacat
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby JanetS » Dec 30th, '14, 4:41 pm

I know what you mean about not being so happy about your DD. I've been dragging my feet, not so much because of size, but what I thought I wanted to do with it. I'm going to continue on with what I have started (I think). If I were going to start over, I would think of the quickest ways I could do it. Good Luck! :)
JanetS
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Sherry C » Dec 30th, '14, 4:59 pm

I give you permission to switch! lol If it's not working for you, then I would definitely change it.
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby doris sander » Dec 30th, '14, 5:00 pm

i have never been concerned about redoing things. as others have said, it's a learning process and if you're not enjoying it, starting over is okay if you really want to. my son is in the 5th grade and i don't even want to be "caught up" on scrapbooking for him. i always figure i'm going to enjoy reminiscing while i'm working with his pictures 10 or 20 years from now. enjoy the creativity and spending time with your memories!
Doris

blog: dorissander.blogspot.com

doris sander
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby TerryB » Dec 30th, '14, 5:17 pm

Thank you girls so much!

You know how sometimes you see how someone is dressed and you love it, or you love how they've decorated their house, but it's just not you. That's how this feels. Like I'm trying to do something I've seen and loved, but it's just not me. So I've decided to take all your advice, and start over. :)

Thank you again! I'll let you all know how it goes. :)
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Dec 30th, '14, 6:50 pm

I agree - do it over in the format you know you will love

That being said, if I redid every page that I now hate, it would be an evolving mess. I still have pages I hate but I leave them unless I can tweak it just a little to improve it. I move on. When I see my first pages - I look in horror. I'm a work in progress and I'm 56 years old.
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Scrappin' Kathy » Dec 30th, '14, 10:31 pm

If what you love is white, try adding white to the 6 x 8 pages. I say go with the challenge. Adjust what you've done until you are happy with it!!!
Scrappin' Kathy
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Dec 30th, '14, 10:35 pm

sounds like you have some good suggestions here Terry!
Sometimes if I sit with something for awhile I end up really liking it. You may have passed that point though. Just do what you want, life is too short!
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Dec 31st, '14, 12:39 am

Really great ideas here for you Terry. I personally, would not do over anything, but just start creating the way you want to-that inspires you to get things documented. That is always a WIN in my book! :)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby TerryB » Dec 31st, '14, 12:17 pm

I started over last night, and I'm already much happier with it. I was able to incorporate a lot of what I'd already done, so it went pretty fast. I really was missing that white background. Having said that, I'm not giving up on the 6x8. I think I'll play with it throughout the next year so I am ready for next December. I will also take Ashli's advice and print my pictures with a white border.

Thanks again girls! :)
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mlepitts » Dec 31st, '14, 1:44 pm

Maybe your 6x8 could be a different form of documenting all together! Like art journaling or such. I'm glad you let go of it for your DD. I think it's good to push yourself to try new formats, but if you're not happy with it, there are no rules that say you have to continue. I love that about the creative life! :)
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Marti » Dec 31st, '14, 1:46 pm

TerryB wrote:I started over last night, and I'm already much happier with it. I was able to incorporate a lot of what I'd already done, so it went pretty fast. I really was missing that white background. Having said that, I'm not giving up on the 6x8. I think I'll play with it throughout the next year so I am ready for next December. I will also take Ashli's advice and print my pictures with a white border.

Thanks again girls! :)

You need to share your pages. I was already liking what you had posted in the gallery!
MARTI :)
Marti
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby TerryB » Dec 31st, '14, 2:53 pm

[/quote]
You need to share your pages. I was already liking what you had posted in the gallery![/quote]

Ack! I already took it apart, but I will share what I've redone soon. :)
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Marti » Dec 31st, '14, 3:51 pm

TerryB wrote:

You need to share your pages. I was already liking what you had posted in the gallery![/quote]

Ack! I already took it apart, but I will share what I've redone soon. :)[/quote]

That's what I meant- your finished product. :)
MARTI :)
Marti
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to Scrap Talk