Thinking ahead (scrappy plans for 2015)

Come here to talk about all things scrapbooking!

Thinking ahead (scrappy plans for 2015)

Postby TerryB » Dec 11th, '14, 11:08 am

I've always been intrigued by Ali Edward's "week in the life," but know I would never keep up with it for 7 days. Since I'm enjoying working in a 6x8 album so much with my DD, I decided I needed a project that would allow me to do that some more next year. I'm going to do a "day in the life" once a month next year. I'll just pick a random day and document it. It seems more doable, once a month, and I think it will be cool to look over a years worth of change in one album.

Anybody want to join me?

Do you have any scrappy plans for 2015?
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: Thinking ahead (scrappy plans for 2015)

Postby mlepitts » Dec 11th, '14, 11:30 am

That sounds like fun, I want to do some art journaling next year, something to play with watercolors and such.

I am nervous about jumping into other mediums because my first attempt at scrapbooking did not turn out like I'd imagined in my head. It was so bad, I stopped for a few years because I thought maybe this wasn't the hobby for me. But once I started doing it regularly, the results started being what I expected and I loved it. I'm hopeful that's what happens with the art journaling.

I made a chalkboard last week and did my first drawing on Tuesday. I was SO pleased with how it turned out, first time. See? Another thing I was fearful about. I knew I could do it, but was scared it wouldn't look like I'd hoped. I think I just found my word for 2015!

FEAR NOT.

:)

I would love to join you in branching out Terry!

About 5 or 6 years, I did a layout a day in January, using the same 8x11 design every day, but mixing it up with placements and such. It was a really fun project. I almost finished. I had two days left, but just wasn't feeling it anymore, I'd exhausted the design I think. :)
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby JanetS » Dec 11th, '14, 11:53 am

I'm very interested in doing this. I was trying to keep a journal for myself in an 8.5 x 11 Smashbook. I was pretty good on the journaling, but didn't have any photos. I recently bought several 6x8 albums and journaling pages from Becky Higgins website. My thought was maybe if I used a smaller format with pocket pages, I could have photos along with journaling. I think having a goal of documenting at least one day a month is definitely something I could do. My project would be a kind of PL journal. :)
JanetS
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Dec 11th, '14, 12:26 pm

I have a few DITL kits but really haven't used them. I like your idea Terry!
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby soapHOUSEmama » Dec 12th, '14, 2:39 am

Terry, that is a really cool idea! I too am wanting to branch out in 2015. I want to do more journaling. Not on my scrapbook pages as I tend to do that, but just in a book. I have purchased a couple of books and have been "practicing." So far so good. Oh, and sketching. I want to sharpen my drawing skills so I have a goal of sketching regularly. I figure it will only get better over time.

Emily, I love you approach with art journaling. Can't wait to see how that all goes for you! I LOVE the chalk art you did :)
soapHOUSEmama
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Dec 12th, '14, 9:05 am

I want to get more use out of my paints and other supplies like fabric and just more into art journaling in the coming year. I am always so inspired by the look and the freedom that comes with that style of expression.

I would love a home printer to stay on top of photos more too. I think that is what drives the fun of daily or weekly documenting for me. I hope to get my kids more involved too! I think family art/project day could be fun once or twice a month.

We'll see!

Emily, I would love details on how you made your thrifted chalk board! It's so pretty and I keep wanting to add one to a bare wall in our kitchen. Just wondering what chalkpaint you used and did you paint the glass of the frame or something else? You look like a pro with your script writing already too!

Happy creative energy to everyone in 2015! So crazy that it's almost here! I still remember the 80's and 90's so well that it's hard to believe that was a few decades ago!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Patricia » Dec 12th, '14, 10:02 am

Love the new profile pics TerryB and Laura.

Loved your chalkboard creation Emily! That would freak me.

Scrappy plans for me are less scrapping. LOL
Patricia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mlepitts » Dec 12th, '14, 10:33 am

Patricia wrote:
Scrappy plans for me are less scrapping. LOL

I did that for 2014 Patricia and I HIGHLY recommend it. I'm so much happier now.
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby mlepitts » Dec 12th, '14, 11:17 am

nittygrittyjody wrote:Emily, I would love details on how you made your thrifted chalk board! It's so pretty and I keep wanting to add one to a bare wall in our kitchen. Just wondering what chalkpaint you used and did you paint the glass of the frame or something else? You look like a pro with your script writing already too!

First, scour the thrift store for a big cool frame. It took me a few months. This one wasn't on 50% off, but I wasn't willing to wait. $20 was still a good deal for a big frame.

Second, I didn't want to have the glass breaking, so I took out the innards of the frame and we had some thin MDF cut to the same size at Lowe's. Totally worth it to have them do it. I just brought in the frame and they measured and cut. We put two boards in for stability. The board was about $12.

Third, I just bought the chalkboard paint in the paint section of Lowe's. It was about $10. I also bought a foam roller brush. About $3.

My board had a white very smooth side and a brown, slightly textured side. I chose the slightly textured side to add more character. I might have chosen the white side, and if I wanted to do it again, I have the extra board in there to paint the white side. I do like the rougher look, but I'm not 100% sold.

Paint the board with two coats, 4 hours between.

Get glazing tacks (I think that's what they are called) and secured the boards into the frame by pressing the tack into the frame and using a set of pliers to fully insert. So much cheaper than the frame store. They wanted $30 to do that! The tacks were $1.39 and we didn't even use half of them!
IMAG0894.jpg
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby mlepitts » Dec 12th, '14, 11:48 am

soapHOUSEmama wrote:Emily, I love you approach with art journaling. Can't wait to see how that all goes for you! I LOVE the chalk art you did :)

Thanks Ashli, I love this new chalkboard and want to just draw all day! I'm looking forward to the art journaling, my way.
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Patricia » Dec 12th, '14, 4:07 pm

oooo I'll have to say this for later, Emily...thanks for all the details.

and amen to less scrapping!
Patricia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby JanetS » Dec 15th, '14, 12:46 pm

Am looking over the comments and noticing art journal, journal, day in the life, journal format, chalkboard, sketch and art. I am interested in all of these and wondering about starting separate threads for some of these? :)

I want to do more art/sketching in a journal at least 1x per week. I want to keep a journal (small format) with photos at least 1x per month. It would be fun to do themes like chalkboard art and use a chalkboard or use black gesso in an art journal? :)

What do you think? :)
JanetS
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mlepitts » Dec 15th, '14, 1:41 pm

I like that idea Janet. I'm not yet ready to erase my first chalkboard art, but I have lots of ideas of what to do next, it would be fun to share!
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby JanetS » Dec 15th, '14, 5:42 pm

Absolutely! 2015 is a ways off yet. :)
JanetS
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Christy S » Dec 27th, '14, 11:11 pm

Art journaling is definitely something I want to do more of in 2015. I also have a list of older supplies I want to work in with new kits and supplies I get during the year.
Christy S
Daisy Girl
Daisy Girl

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby SuzMannecke » Dec 28th, '14, 12:18 am

I love your idea Terry-I have taken several of Ali's classes in the past but never the WITL until this year. Still have to finish that-so before I move on I want to complete that and fill in a few spots in my DITL album.

For 2015 - I would like to work on documenting more of the words in my scrapbooking. I love the creative aspect of cutting, sewing, painting, etc--but I really want to make improvements on telling the story. I also want to finish several projects that I started but have put on the back burner.

e- Fearless- That was a word I was considering for 2015 as well! I think I am going with COURAGE as I bought a Giving Key necklace with that word on it earlier this year.
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby SuzMannecke » Dec 28th, '14, 12:19 am

I love your idea Terry-I have taken several of Ali's classes in the past but never the WITL until this year. Still have to finish that-so before I move on I want to complete that and fill in a few spots in my DITL album. But I may join ya if I get those two things finished up in the next week or two. ;)

For 2015 - I would like to work on documenting more of the words in my scrapbooking. I love the creative aspect of cutting, sewing, painting, etc--but I really want to make improvements on telling the story. I also want to finish several projects that I started but have put on the back burner.

e- Fearless- That was a word I was considering for 2015 as well! I think I am going with COURAGE as I bought a Giving Key necklace with that word on it earlier this year.
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby JanetS » Dec 28th, '14, 6:15 pm

Just wanted to add something to this thread. Becky Higgins has a DITL program she's starting in 2015 called something like DITL 52. She plans to do DITL digitally, one time per week and is going to upgrade her App so others can follow along. I don't want to do digital, but am interested in the idea of one entry per week. Anyone else interested or does it seem like too much? :)
JanetS
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby arleigh » Dec 28th, '14, 6:37 pm

my free time is feast or famine. I'm worried about starting something I can't finish, because then I'll feel guilty about it! you know that superstition if you start to count train cars, you have to finish counting to the caboose, or you'll have bad luck ? that's why I have to be vague about my projects. I do my ditl/project life by the month.
arleigh
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby aplaceinthesun » Dec 28th, '14, 6:47 pm

I would really like to get into art journalling but am not particularly creative as such, well not really arty just creative in my own little way...! However I was thinking that art journalling might be a nice therapeutic thing to do in 2015. Does anyone have any blogs/websites they can suggest to me please to get inspired by?! Thanks xx
Anita
aplaceinthesun
Daisy
Daisy

Next

Return to Scrap Talk