Are scrap companies getting lazy or...

Come here to talk about all things scrapbooking!

Are scrap companies getting lazy or...

Postby Sharmaine » Jan 13th, '14, 5:13 pm

Are scrap companies getting lazy or are they thinking they are on to something big and use it over and over??

I just scraped a page using a piece of pattern paper I've had a little while but while looking at some of the new CHA releases I see the same (and I mean identical in every way) design (different back side on the paper). It made me wonder if scrap companies are getting lazy.
With each CHA release we see same patterns, same designs and same colour combos. Each company trying to get you to buy their product over a competitor. The new "calligraphy" trend is a great example of this. Lots of different brands are offering the same, just slightly different, product. You can get the same paper from several different companies. Sure the paper weight/feel/colours might be different but you can get the same design.
So seeing this exact same design blew me away. Same brand, same colour, same same same.
So are the companies getting lazy or are they hoping that they can hook us in??
Sadly I know the second if probably true as I loved the paper first time around and now it has a new B-side... Yes I will probably buy it again!
Love to hear your thoughts ;)
Sharmaine
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Re: Are scrap companies getting lazy or...

Postby LauraC » Jan 13th, '14, 5:42 pm

I agree - so much of what I'm seeing out of CHA or Mega Meet whateveh!, is a rerun or been there, done that. So little wow, I really like that and think I need to buy it. I think this is a big function on why scrappers aren't buying rather than getting out of scrapbooking. They are just using what they already have because they have the almost similiar pieces at home.

Now add to the fact that Advantus and American Craft are buying out the biz and making everything look like their original stuff and you are def lacking originality. A couple of the manufacturers who are "owners" are now using other designers for what was their unique brand. Melissa Frances and Websters Pages are two I can think of right off the top of my head. and O.M.G. (when I post OMG is it to be read, oh my GOSH, please) what on earth happened to my fav Cosmo Cricket?

And the embelly companies, nothing really new there either. I'm not into the burlap phase so maybe that's part of my problem.

Then you have October Afternoon who partnered with (somebody, I don't remember now) for distribution and their lines are STILL late coming out after being sneak peeked.

Hard to get excited.

I'm always willing to hear others who feel differently.
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Jan 13th, '14, 5:47 pm

I had to come back - now mixed media which involves stamping and stencils are a whole 'nother story. I like a lot of the new stencils out there. However, as a caveat, some of the companies are releasing stencils that I have had in my repetoire for 10 years and never got rid of. So I'm kind of excited to try those oldies but goodies in new ways.
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby gem66 » Jan 13th, '14, 7:18 pm

I am off to check out some of the new stuff now ladies! Interesting!
gem66
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Jan 14th, '14, 9:20 am

Did I rant too much?
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jan 14th, '14, 9:27 am

No Laura you didn't. I agree.
I guess I compare it to the fashion industry which does the same thing. Colors and patterns are a hit and then regurgitated over and over. It is good if you like the trend, bad if you don't. Then someone does something different………only the select few, and the process starts all over again.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Jan 14th, '14, 9:51 am

DeniseM wrote:No Laura you didn't. I agree.
It is good if you like the trend, bad if you don't. Then someone does something different………only the select few, and the process starts all over again.

I agree too. I also have to say that a person can love the trend even, but if you're like me, once too many people or places start to use that trend and it becomes overkill, then you start to like it less and less. It's like a good idea gets "ruined" because let's face it...mustaches on pillows and coffee mugs and t-shirts and baby pacifiers and posters and pet sweaters and on coat hangers {yes, I saw them on coat hangers over the weekend!} and every where else just saturate the market and take the novelty out of it. And sometimes the novelty has worn off before it should have even started. :D

It's the same with chevrons to chalkboards. Anything can lead to 'too much of a good thing', or simply boredom because we have seen it in all it's form and function and glory too much.
The good news in all this for me though is that I too have pulled out some of my 'old stash' and I love it more than I did before. Some of it just looks 'new and different' to me now, or just seems more fun because it is 'vintage' and cool to pull back out. I am glad that I am not a designer though, because what a tough job to have to either come up with new designs, or try to make a current, overused trend 'new and exciting' enough that people WILL buy it again!

Kudos to everyone who does it. And nails it! ;)
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Jan 14th, '14, 9:55 am

P.S.
Not to write a book on this, but I just wanted to add how it is even harder and crazier to design and produce lines, because in this industry people can love the very thing that others despise! Like mustaches! One color combo can please or disgust and you never know how something is going to be received. Just look at the comments on the CHA sneaks right here at CD. It's not always a love or hate thing, but if I were a designer I know I would be shaking in my boots whenever a new line were unveiled. You can even think you have a winner and it can be a big flop!
It's a big gamble sometimes. But I love that people take it and I think that's what keeps the industry going...when scrappers fall in love with something, they fall hard and we BUY IT UP! Even if it's just to save in our stash. For later. :D
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Curlywiggles » Jan 14th, '14, 1:31 pm

[/quote]
I agree too. I also have to say that a person can love the trend even, but if you're like me, once too many people or places start to use that trend and it becomes overkill, then you start to like it less and less. It's like a good idea gets "ruined" because let's face it...mustaches on pillows and coffee mugs and t-shirts and baby pacifiers and posters and pet sweaters and on coat hangers {yes, I saw them on coat hangers over the weekend!} and every where else just saturate the market and take the novelty out of it. And sometimes the novelty has worn off before it should have even started. :D
[/quote]

YES! THIS!!

I noticed that a lot of maufacturers came out with square products as an alternative to the 3x4 cards (although those are still saturating the market too) which is another example of how they all jump on the same bandwagon. And there seems to be a trend of more organic & brighter patterns this season, but other than that yes it's very samey and underwhelming. I can't think of any new embellishments that have caught my eye, they are all just variations of products which were available before. Like enamel dots, which are now available in different shapes.

I wonder if this has a lot to do with the fact that there are so many companies around now. Back in the day we were very limited on choices, Doodlebug had a very different style to Scenic Route etc. There were no 2 companies with the same style. We still get some of that now, for example Bella Blvd is very different than Prima but there is more of an overlap with certain companies.

I also think it has a lot to do with the fact that there are more releases now. Before we know it we'll be getting the 'mid-releases'. So they are having to come up with more designs each year & it's harder to be original I guess. It also means that trends catch on quickly. Last year there were a few companies which had chalkboard at their mid release and by the next big release everyone was doing it.

I would like to point out that the designs that Steph comes up with for the exclusive papers each month are always completely original and unique!

Laura, I felt that Cosmo Cricket were one of the few companies that came up with something new, I really loved their paper pads! I think they have had to diversify to include the party planners and home decor markets to keep in business. That's the route they seem to have gone down anyway.

I was just listening to the CHA episode of Paperclipping Roundtable and they were talking about how some companies are trying to cater for the 'Pinterest' market. So those who are on Pinterest that are not necessarily crafters but who want a little slice of the cute stuff they see on Pinterest. For example, the large quotes that MME have in their lines are more aimed at this market. They are the kind of thing you would frame, they are probably not something we would be putting in our scrapbooks due to the odd size. I'm getting entirely off topic now, but thought it was an interesting observation.
Curlywiggles
Daisy Girl
Daisy Girl

Postby LauraC » Jan 14th, '14, 1:45 pm

Very true observation! You are right - there are a ton of peeps on Pinterest that are not paper addicts

I loved so much from Cosmo Cricket - not so much the cutesy stuff but the back sides were alway usable. So sad to see the past couple years releases
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby KarenP » Jan 15th, '14, 8:33 am

I agree with a lot of this Laura - and this is why it's hard to toss stuff I love - it comes around again right?? And I totally agree with the "trend" thing where one little thing (like calligraphy font) comes out then it's mass copied and you are sick of it before it even gets "big"!

I do like some of the color combos coming out not - I'm thinking Glitz in particular this go round - I like the blues that are coming out (navy) in particular.....I'm initially drawn to a color way in a collection then I look at motifs........and a big YES to Stephanie's papers - loving them :)
Karen
KarenP
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to Scrap Talk