Let's talk Project Life

Come here to talk about all things scrapbooking!

Let's talk Project Life

Postby MandyKay » Jan 3rd, '14, 5:15 pm

I have been kicking around the idea of doing a Project Life album this year. I don't know that I will be doing weekly spreads, or if I will do monthly ones mixing in a few traditional layouts. I did something similar to this for our Disney trip and I like the concept. If I have a ton of pics(some months are busier than others) then I will do a spread but I'd still like to highlight some events/moments traditionally. I have a ton of CD DITL stuff and some older kits that I could break down for this to get started. Now, that I am home all day I'd like to get started on some organization and kick this thing off.

If you do PL, what is your approach? And how do you organize your supplies?
MandyKay
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: Let's talk Project Life

Postby Sharmaine » Jan 3rd, '14, 5:48 pm

I like the whole pocket idea for when you have a quantity of photos too.
It's been a while since I made one though.
I tend to take less photos now, focusing on what I want to say, so I can enjoy the moment too :)
Sharmaine
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby SuzMannecke » Jan 3rd, '14, 8:04 pm

Go Mandy! Excited to see you embark on this fun adventure. I have been doing Project Life since its beginning as Project 365. Like any creative adventure, and life itself, my style, thoughts, etc have evolved over time to fit my life and my schedule.

I have always used a 12 x 12 album and, in the early years, the Page Protectors Design A. But as more choices were introduced to me, the more designs I used. I don't have any rigid rules at this point. I mix. I match. Sometimes I add a bunch of stitching. Sometimes I incorporate digital/hybrid elements to it or Silhouette cuts. But initially, I think (just my opinion) starting out with "one kit" for a week's spread and using it. It helps one not to get overwhelmed and to get life documented. That is first and foremost what it's all about isn't it? I mean, yeah, I know there's the creative side, and that is soooo fun to explore, but if I feel behind or overwhelmed by all of the possibilities and choices, I always go back to using a kit.

I love using weekend inserts too. Almost always I have them. Sometimes they aren't necessarily pictures from the weekend, but maybe photos and stories I don't want to share online.

I personally feel printing from home is key to me keeping current. I use my Canon MG 5320 printer as well as my Canon Selphy CP900 wireless one. Love it for printing out 2 up pics and Instagram pics. So much faster than having to drag, drop, and edit in PSE.

If the kit doesn't seem to go with your pics, use black and white photos.

One year, just prior to all of the PL kits coming out in full force, I decided I wanted to use all of the lovely things I had in my stash. That year was so fun and it felt great to use the things I loved and had on hand. A bit more involved as I had more trimming to do, but fun nonetheless-because they were custom created so to speak.

My biggest thing I like to share about documenting the everyday type albums, is to just get started. Create. Document. Anything you get done is way better than being paralyzed by perfectionism or feeling overwhelmed by too many options and choices. I wholeheartedly adopt Ali Edwards' philosophy that "It is ok." and simplify. Always simplify when feeling overwhelmed.

HTH. I could go on and on about PL, it's such a part of my life now. :)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Patricia » Jan 3rd, '14, 8:50 pm

I am going into my third year. I always thought about doing monthly but honestly weekly is less overwhelming for me. So I stick with what works.

I starting using kits this year and a lifesaver. Make spreads come together faster.

I have a separate shelf above my silhouette that holds PL kits and misc items good for PL. I tend to work with one kit at a time.

And FYI I hated the process when I first started. I only kept going because I knew I would want those little memories documented. I had to find my groove.

I use Lightroom and have different templates for photos. So as I print (I have an Epson Charm) I know which pocket the photo will go in. Trim and lay photos out, then add cards, then add anything else.

You will do great MandyKay!
Patricia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Jan 4th, '14, 2:13 am

I never thought I would get in to it as I can't stick with any project, but I gave it a whirl with a very open mind.
I'm so surprised that almost a year on and I still love it.
I'm very free with it though and I think this is why I've stuck with it.
I needed to take a no pressure approach.
So no week numbers for example.
I do it when I want to.
I have a few weeks missed out here and there but so what. In the whole scheme of things when I look back who cares about the odd week???
But looking back at my album and I'm so happy that I do it :)
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby LauraC » Jan 4th, '14, 9:05 am

I never really stepped into Project Life - I have an album from 2012 that is a monthly project life type book but I still need to complete I think November - December. I am finding that I don't want the pressure of scrapping because I have to because my time to scrap is so spotty at times. I just want to scrap what I want to scrap and when I'm able. Make sense?
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jan 4th, '14, 11:43 am

I haven't done a page in a few months but I still really enjoy doing pages from a PL approach. I am like Lisa though, no pressure. I never do weeks, I scrap PL the way I want. I started out doing a page for each boy a month but it is hard getting photos of them now. Much of what they are doing and up to is done away from home with friends. I rarely see them unless they are eating, showering or watching tv. Sad but true. They are in the process of transitioning away and so there is less to document with photos. But that being said, I have some Christmas photos that I will do a page with and I might do some for January.

I don't organize my supplies much differently. In fact, they all just mix together. :) But I am not a very "organized" scrapbooker anyway!
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby MandiePierce » Jan 4th, '14, 11:48 am

i LOVE Project Life. I think you will too, Mandy! This is my 4th year doing it. I like to do a weekly spread. I'm not too strict about the layout of the spread. Some weeks, it's just one page. and that it okay. some weeks, it's several (like christmas week was!) i just go with it.

my kids love to look at the past books. and so does troy! that is cool. :)

as far as supplies, i have a little desktop sorter from land of nod on my table & everything else in a couple of raskog carts from ikea. i work out of that, for the most part.
MandiePierce
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AnnaB » Jan 4th, '14, 3:01 pm

I haven't been really interested in Project Life until quite recently. I don't know why - it just didn't appeal to me. I think it was the DITL kits here that got me into it. :) I first thought that I'd just use the DITL kit for my regular scrapbooking, but then I decided to try some photo pocket sleeves that I bought a loooong time ago, but never used.

I made a couple of pages based on events rather than weeks, and I really loved the way I suddenly focused on documentation rather than on design. Next, I decided to try to make a weakly spread... but just to try it out and my intention was NOT to go on like that... ::) but somehow it was so addicting that I couldn't stop! :D I now have 12 weeks covered and I really love it! I am not sure how long this will go on... I tend to start things and not finish them. But I am enjoying this new approach to documenting our life and I try to not put any pressure at all on myself. I'm only doing it as long as it's fun and my guess is that I'll sometimes do weekly spreads and sometimes other type of pages. :)
AnnaB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Jan 4th, '14, 3:28 pm

It is so fun reading how so very different each of us goes about documenting with DITL/PL. I think it is really fun to see how we can each find a way to make it work for our lives and our schedules and our "times" in our lives. Thank you for sharing everyone as there are some little tidbits of info here that I may just try soon! :)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby KarenP » Jan 4th, '14, 5:12 pm

I used to do a 2 page layout for each month of the year (Project 12) or a monthly calendar type layout for each month (2010) then in 2012 I started "doing" (or I should say "collecting" ) for project life. Initially I started earlier with Becky's very first Project 365 kit and it was just a picture a day with some journaling cards. I made it up til spring that year and lost steam (those months are fun to look at though) That was waaaay before all the embellishment and choices available now.

My PL (because my kids are older teens) is about 1-2 spreads per month. I still like to scrap traditional pages so if we had a big event (birthday, trip etc.) I maybe put ONE pic in the PL spread that month to document it but will do a mini or layout about the trip or event separately. I like being able to get 2 years in one album. Like Denise - my kids are out of the house more and more with sports, HS, now college etc. so it's harder to get pics of them. I definitely wish it was available when they were little - they would have loved looking at it! I have a lot of random "snaps of our life/home now" shots for my PL.

Organization wise
Pictures - this is my biggest hangup - I need a better workflow to get them printed / decide which size etc. so when I have scrap time I can scrap and not print or hassle with pictures. One of my goals this year is to deal with my pics on a monthly (minimally) basis and not get backlogged!

PL Cards/kits - the few PL kits I have (mostly split with friends) are in separate boxes but I think this year I'm not buying any new ones and combining them all by size card and color (ROYGBIV) order....I have some baskets and clear bins that fit the cards nicely (clear kitchen org bins from BedBath that fit in baskets from Michaels/Target.

DITL kits from the last year are currently still in their kit box with that months kit - not sure how to pull this out yet as I like using some of the DITL stuff in my 12x12 scrapping. I print pictures of the kit and add ons each month so I think as I scrap that months spread I'll just refer to the DITL picture ( or kit if it's here) and pull from that)

Memorabilia - I have a large 3 ring binder with 12 clear sleeves (1 per month ) that I try to toss programs, labels etc. in for that month so I have it ready when I need it .....by the end of last year however my memorabilia got tossed together in one big basket.

I have this binder/basket, my PL cards and my PL album in progress all on top of a small table in my office/craft space in a PL area (separate from my Scrap/kit table area. I often take this stuff (along with embellishments from my scrap area ) to crops. I go to a few day crops per year. I either work on PL or I bring a few kits and do traditional scrapping.

That's how it's working for me now.........I'm looking forward to reading how everyone else does it!
Karen
KarenP
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby northcarmen » Jan 5th, '14, 10:05 pm

I am re-starting Project Life for 2014. I am still in the process of finishing my 2012 albums, so I haven't really been "away" from doing the pages, but I have just started taking photos again on a regular basis this week, with the intention of doing weekly layouts to document our year of transitioning to South Africa. I have bits and pieces of several different Project Life core and mini kits, and I am in the process of organizing them in rainbow order, using clear photo boxes from Michaels. I also use free printables I find on Pinterest. I keep memorabilia in file folders in a filing cabinet next to my office desk, and I generally use Marcy Penner's free planner pages to plan out my layouts. I need a better system for organizing my photos -- right now iPhone and DSLR photos are separate, which is awkward. I do weekly layouts because when I am in the groove, I take too many photos in the course of a month to limit them to two pages. I use Design A for the base of all my layouts, then add other page protector designs for special events. I don't worry about reflecting every day of the week; I just use what I have (journaling or photos) for each week. Sometimes half the layout is one event. I include traditional layouts in my Project Life albums as well. I tried doing photo-a-day in 2010, and thought I had to journal EVERYTHING that happened that day, and ended up feeling paralyzed and journaled nothing. :( I still regret that. So I've taken a more relaxed approach since then.

Carmen.
northcarmen
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Jaime Warren » Jan 6th, '14, 9:18 pm

I'll be doing PL for my second year in a row..I bought the Midnight kit and purged through my supplies from last year. Working on my title page off and on while I feel up to it. It really is a lot of fun and I like the fact that there isn't the pressure of "perfection." I also love having a way to go back over our year, week by week! I can't wait to see what you create!
Jaime Warren
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Nicole N » Jan 7th, '14, 8:40 am

I really love the concept of PL. I made a lame attempt at it this summer ... and failed epically. I used a kit ... I think I maybe just didn't like it? I don't know...maybe it just isn't for me. I love the whole process of scrapping a page.. and felt that this (obviously), wasn't the same...and I didn't like it as much. I'll look to the gallery here for lots of inspo!! Maybe one day! :)
Nicole N
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

Postby mlepitts » Jan 7th, '14, 10:07 am

I'm with Denise on not seeing my kids much (if any!) anymore. I think my PL would be very boring because life is mostly me working at home these days, husband and son at dinner, and then homework for Ethan and sundry items for Kelly and I in the evenings. Perhaps I should start my journal up again, because life does happen, but it's not very scrappy.

I think with younger kids, the idea is great though, so I'd go for it Mandy Kay!
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Olivia » Jan 7th, '14, 11:41 am

I have been mentally doing PL and collecting supplies for years! ::) I've tried off and on to do it, but I've not been successful yet. This year my approach is to blog my week first, then to put the actual pictures & stuff together later. I'm hoping this year it sticks & works.

I have been trying to be more present and aware of my days, rather than just reacting and trying to live through each day. Sometimes I think days just happen to me, actually more like they attack me.

I did blog last week on Sunday. www.wemartins.blogspot.com

I'm going to try to continue doing that each week.
Olivia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nerdbird » Jan 7th, '14, 3:09 pm

I really like the idea of PL but I don't like the pressure!! So I'm going to try and just do bits asand when something comes up, I do like the idea of capturing all the little things that you wouldn't necessarily do a whole page about - hope it might help getting my scrapping the big bits too!
nerdbird
Daisy
Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Jan 7th, '14, 3:34 pm

Steph I am finding that I'm scrapping less 12x12 's which I quite like.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby alissa » Jan 8th, '14, 7:50 pm

i love PL and have really enjoyed my weekly spreads. with no kids here, it could get boring, but i try to make it fun and it really makes us live our lives with more intention of making happiness and good times!

i say go for it! find a size and time frame (weekly, monthly, whenever) that works for you and you will love it! i love flipping through the pages and looking at what we did and what was happening in the world then.

2013 was a year to find what worked and what didn't for me. practice, i say.

go for it, mandy kay! you, and your family will love it!!! :)
alissa
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Return to Scrap Talk