Cocoa Daisy Connections

Come here to talk about all things scrapbooking!

Cocoa Daisy Connections

Postby mlepitts » Jan 21st, '13, 10:53 am

How did you find Cocoa Daisy?

I met Ronda Palazzari 4 years ago next month. We met through the craziest of ways. She was a Memory Makers' Master as was my friend Summer Fullerton. I was waiting to fly home from CHA and Summer was waiting for her flight as well. She had a MM magazine and asked me if I knew Ronda, she lived in the same town I did. I'd heard of her, but didn't know her at all. She showed me a photo and Ronda's fence looked just like mine, so I figured she must live in the same part of town.

A few weeks went by. I didn't do anything about meeting up with her.

Ronda's sister passed away unexpectedly in February. I heard about it through a message board post. I immediately went to Ronda's blog and offered a listening ear. I wrote that I thought we lived close and if she wanted to just talk about Krissie, share with someone who her sister was, I'd love to meet up at Starbucks. I left my email.

A little bit later, she responded and we set up a time and place, it turned out we live 5 minutes from each other, about a mile as the crow flies. We met up, chatted for a while, exchanged numbers, decided each other passed the not-a-psycho-stalker test--we knew many of the same people actually, we'd just never crossed paths. And we've been good friends ever since. We scrap together nearly every week, Ronda's got an AWESOME scrap space. I can get to her house faster than an email can :) She's a daily part of my life.

Ronda was on the CD DT, I was on the SC team. We'd scrap kit layouts together all the time. That was how I became familiar with CD. I was the guest designer here 3 years ago.

Christine bought CD a couple of years ago and asked Ronda if she thought I'd ever move to another kit club. At the time, I'd just signed another year contract with SC, but told her to ask me next year.

Next year came and I didn't renew my contract and instead moved over here. It's been such a good move for me. I loved it there, but needed a change in scenery for a lot of reasons.

So that is how I found Cocoa Daisy. How about you?
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Re: Cocoa Daisy Connections

Postby Sherry C » Jan 21st, '13, 12:06 pm

That's a great story, Emily! I love how chance meetings can turn into a beautiful friendship! A random shopping spree at our LSS is how I met Tracy. We had never met, even though we lived in the same neigborhood at the time.

I can't remember if I found CD through 2Peas or Ellen S. I fell in love with the October 2011 kit but it had just sold out. I'm not too proud to beg, so I emailed Christine and asked if there were any left. She didn't have any but managed to send me a fabulous version! I was subbing at SC at the time, but still searching for a scrappy home. I hung out for a couple of months to see if it was a good fit for me and it obviously was/is... you can't get rid of me now! lol An added bonus is that I met Stephanie a few months ago and we're hoping to get together soon to actually scrap!

I did meet Mandy a couple of years ago at CKC Nashville!

I'm still dreaming of a CD event!
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mlepitts » Jan 21st, '13, 12:46 pm

It's so fun to read how people connect isn't it? I'm so glad you are here Sherry! And happy you've had the chance to meet Stephanie IRL. She's wonderful. And happy you shared us with Tracy :)
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby AshleyCalder » Jan 21st, '13, 12:57 pm

What a fun story, Emily! Isn't it amazing how small the world really is?

I think Cocoa Daisy found me!
AshleyCalder
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby mlepitts » Jan 21st, '13, 1:07 pm

Yes, I think we did Ashely, but you did guest here way way way way back in the beginning when Tricia was the owner. Want a link to your gallery? ;)
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby LauraC » Jan 21st, '13, 1:28 pm

I was reading blogs and wandered on one about kit subscriptions. I can't even tell you where, MAYBE May Flaum but I can't be sure. SC and CD were the two that kind of caught my eye in that discussion. I checked out SC and that style really wasn't mine and the open dates were insane to even try to see or get anything to try out. Then I started looking over at CD. Discovered it was run by Christine who is a fellow Michigander. With Michigan being so down on it's luck the past few years with the upheaval of the Big 3 Automakers, we Michiganders really believe in keeping our money at home and to make sure our small businesses thrive. So with that being said and going through all the older kit photos, I was being swayed. Then I just missed out on March's Pier kit. I wanted that one SO BADLY and I vowed that I wouldn't miss the next rocking one. So I took the plunge for the six month subscription. I justified it by cutting out my other scrappy expenses and sticking to my subscription. For financial reasons and hoarder name caller purposes. I've never looked back and love the ROCK STAR performers that are here at CD and love how they are never "TOO FAMOUS" to chat with those of us on the scrappy front. Loved the craziness of the spring online crop. You gals are crazy - in a good way. I'll never forget the spandex pics. I giggled so hard at those. I'm here at Cocoa Daisy to stay.
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Jan 21st, '13, 1:31 pm

Oh and I found out Mandy K joined the DT here and she lives about 20 miles from me. The day will come when we will meet either by accident at Meijer and I'll call her name out like Lisa did to her at CHA or we will finally get a mutual time to do a meet up. I'm not a crazy insane stalker, I promise
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mlepitts » Jan 21st, '13, 1:41 pm

Haha, we all love Mandy K here. She's wicked talented :) I look forward to a report on your meeting up one day! I'm glad you're here Laura, you keep us in the know.
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby AshleyCalder » Jan 21st, '13, 2:13 pm

Oooh, is it still here, Emily?! Crazy! I'd love to see. :) I obviously still have the layouts, but they are still packed away. :)
AshleyCalder
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Another Ronda » Jan 21st, '13, 2:16 pm

Emily - love your and Ronda's story on meeting or shall I say finding each other.

I also found CD thru Ronda - but not in the same way of course.

I subscribed to MM magazine and loved seeing Ronda's layouts. I have this "folder" that I would tear out bits of inspiration and of layouts that I must "lift" - the very first one I put in there was a layout that Ronda did announcing her scrapbook style when she became part of their DT (I still have it in that folder taped to the cover) the LO was called "I Believe".
I finally scrapbooked that LO several years later after I kept stumbling upon her layouts frequently published in Scrapbook Trends. I decided to email her a note and included a photo of my LO, I was thrilled that she responded to my email. I began following her blog and subscribed to CD later that year.

My LO "I believe" hangs right beside my desk on a clipboard to always remind me what is really important when I get distracted or lose my way. I may not scrap or have a day to day friendship with Ronda - but she got me to lift her LO that keeps me grounded when I need it :) and to be part of this great community here at CD.

Another Ronda
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby justmarti » Jan 21st, '13, 3:32 pm

I met Ronda about 4 years ago through one of the crops we arranged through 2Peas - and I met Emily a bit before that. These two girls are honestly two of my favorite people on the planet. I had heard of CD though Miss Ronda. And I had heard of SC through Miss Emily. But I didn't really frequent either place due to lack of time. Then when Em left SC to come here, I followed since both of my sweet friends were now in one spot. :D I stayed because I loved the kits, and the people. <3

One of the funnest parts of being here is that so many people I "know" online are also here. I was on a DT with Stephanie and Mandie.
Marti
justmarti
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby dianaj1012 » Jan 21st, '13, 3:58 pm

I am pretty sure I had heard of Cocoa Daisy through Lisa when she was on the Sketchy Thursdays DT. If it wasn't through her, it was through a random interaction on 2Peas, but I became really aware of CD in reading Lisa's blog. I didn't subscribe, but I always admired what Lisa was creating with the kits.

I was invited to join the team and instantly knew I had to say yes. Everything Lisa made was gorgeous — I just knew it was would be an amazing opportunity to create with her again (we had closed Sketchy Thursdays at that point).

Emily, your story is amazing! I love when you get to meet a kindred spirit like that. Meant to be...
dianaj1012
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Margrethe » Jan 21st, '13, 4:04 pm

Thinking about it now, I think I kinda followed Emily from SC to here... She has always been one of my favorite scrappers from SC and a true inspiration! Thanks, Emily!
Margrethe
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby northcarmen » Jan 21st, '13, 7:44 pm

I heard of Cocoa Daisy through Ali Edwards' posts years ago. Like others, I used to sub to Studio Calico (left just before my daughter was born and I was going on maternity leave, and also the kits weren't doing as much for me any more), but I'd always liked Emily's work so ended up "following" her here. I've loved my 6-month sub, which I got as a birthday gift and which ended with the January kit. Hoping to re-join at some point; I know I will miss getting the kits.

Carmen.
northcarmen
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby mison » Jan 21st, '13, 7:53 pm

I really do not remember how I found CD.... It might have been trough Anna I think. I know I found a sketch challenge here anyway and made a layout for it. And then I joined the boards and started subbing. Never, ever regret it since.
mison
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jan 21st, '13, 8:07 pm

Emily that is an awesome story! So good you followed your heart, that was such a hard time for Ronda how kind of you to reach out to her.
Sounds like many came over with you Emily!

Ronda brought me here. We had met when I was chosen for the OLW design team 5 years ago. I met her for the first time IRL last week. :)
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby rweckerly » Jan 21st, '13, 8:16 pm

I was just shopping for a club...and an on-line home...and came across you guys! Thrilled to be here!
rweckerly
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Postby Kelly in Canada » Jan 21st, '13, 8:31 pm

i found cocoa daisy through ali as well. that was back in the day when tricia was the owner and christine was making the amazing 'project' kits. oh, how i loved her special project kits. over the years i have subscribed to four different scrapbook kits but for some reason, i keep coming back to cocoa daisy and, though i am not a subscriber right now, i am right on the edge of subbing again. i don't buy anything from anywhere right now so a wee little monthly sub wouldn't be a bad thing, would it?
Kelly in Canada
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jan 22nd, '13, 9:03 am

Kelly, I don't think that's a bad thing at all :)
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jjflair » Jan 22nd, '13, 1:15 pm

Love these stories!

I was a scrapbook novice and dabbler, only committed to one layout a year for a Halloween album. My neighbor took me to a Stampin' Up party, and I enjoyed the stamping techniques I learned there, but the "clean" style didn't quite move me. I searched online for a coffee ring stain stamp and found Cocoa Daisy.

A couple years later, as my scrapbooking pastime moved into a hobby, and then a passion, the name Cocoa Daisy cropped up again and so did the term "kit club". Interesting! Must know more! This was a couple days before the Nov. 2011 online Crop, and my idol, Julie Fei-Fan Balzer revealed on her blog that she would be guesting at the crop and having a live chat session. I immediately came over to Cocoa Daisy to find out more about this event and sign up for the message board. (My daily morning routine includes a first stop at Julie's blog, and you will see that my membership on the board here started at 8'o'something a.m. o'clock. Lol!)

Anyway, after that fun-filled weekend with such a warm reception and lovely group of women, CD has become my favorite place on the web! I'd rather hang here than on Facebook any day!
jjflair
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Next

Return to Scrap Talk