Share your thoughts on future Project Art kits

Sneaks of next's month kit posted on the 15th of every month.

Share your thoughts on future Project Art kits

Postby mlepitts » May 18th, '13, 7:35 pm

What would you like to see, everyone will have different needs, but we'd love to have your thoughts on the direction you'd like to the Project Art go in the future.
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Re: Share your thoughts on future Project Art kits

Postby scrapally » May 18th, '13, 8:30 pm

I'm not sure I fully understand the concept yet to be honest. It may be because I've had other things to which I am paying attention but maybe this is a good place to get some answers...

What I thought I understood was that last month was a starter kit - a journal and some starter artsy supplies. What I'm not sure about was whether or not any instructions came along with this kit - or as kits come out, will they have project ideas that come along with them on how to use the supplies? That's what I would want. For example, the inktense pencils. There are all kinds of ways to use watercolor pencils. But I just use mine without any real knowledge. What I do is hit or miss. I'd love directions pdfs with examples and step outs, and some kind of direction of what to do with the artsy supplies.

masks, mists, and ink droppers would be fun; acrylic paints and foam stamps; anything by tim holtz probably fits here... what about some fabric from his new line? Stitching stuff; distress paints; alcohol inks and transparencies or acrylics.... ok that's kind of what I have in mind... oh and I love all of the metal trinkets Tim puts out too - the clock spinners, tinker pins, etc.
Building strong children is easier than fixing broken men.
Marion Wright Edelman
scrapally
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Kelly in Canada » May 18th, '13, 9:38 pm

i like different pens and also perhaps gelatos and big brush markers and what not. ally has great ideas too and i would love to see some technique posts (more of what anna did on the blog) to go along with supplies.
Kelly in Canada
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby pam » May 18th, '13, 9:51 pm

I agree with both Ally and Kelly about some instruction on how to use the supplies. I loved Anna's blog post recently. How about some pan pastels, some Tim Holtz chipboard embellishments, dylusion inks, and old book pages,
pam
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby squartey » May 19th, '13, 12:48 am

I, too, was hoping for a little more instruction. I mean, I know art journaling is kind of a free spirit thing, but I will admit I misunderstood and thought that some kind of class was included with the starter kit.
squartey
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Postby Sherry C » May 19th, '13, 8:00 am

I would love to see masks, inks (dylusions, liquitex, Bombay india), small Golden Fluid acrylics, gelatos and perhaps some 12x12 watercolor paper or heavy weight mixed media paper for those that would like to do mixed media scrapping and not just specific for art journaling.

I do love Anna's examples of her art this month. I think it would be great to see a completed project using each month's art kit - along with a tutorial for the techniques used on the project.

I'm excited about the watercolor pencils in the sneaks!
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Curlywiggles » May 19th, '13, 3:40 pm

I vote for Gelatos, Golden Fluid Acrylics and TH Distress Stains. I have a couple of those and they are great fun.
Curlywiggles
Daisy Girl
Daisy Girl

Postby sug » May 19th, '13, 7:00 pm

I just had a class with gelatos and I bought the biggest box I could find! they are so fun and versatile. We mixed them with a paste and ran it across a stencil with a flat spreader, then it dried raised. I don't know what the paste was that we used and I loved the effect.

I know you sell stencils in your shop, but maybe add one to a kit.
Su
sug
Daisy Girl
Daisy Girl

Postby KarenP » May 20th, '13, 10:14 am

I echo the other comments - more "how to"! For instance I LOVED Anna's post - broken down steps, great colors and use of the stamps - it totally inspired me to go start diving into my blank journal and mist/stamp and use kit bits and pieces on pages.

I am so excited to see the water color pencils this month. I have been wanting to try them but have no idea how to use them. Yeah - I can go google you tube videos - but I'm excited to have the info here in the "scrappy" place so I can combine art journal techniques and scrapping (and make better use of my kit stamps/pieces beyond layouts). I'm also excited to try some techniques on layouts now that I see some of the steps involved.

Additional things I'd like to see?? I'd love to know more about different kinds of pens/inks. Copics vs. Tombow markers vs faber castell etc. When and how to use various mediums - Gels vs. gesso vs ?? I don't even know what is out there really. I LOVE that I just learned that the inktense pencils are permant vs. traditional watercolor pencils (which I'm assuming you can't work over with any wet media because they will run when re-wet?)

Maybe team up with folks for an online class?? I recently enrolled in a great lettering class where I'm learning about some of the different kinds of pens I have and trying out different kinds of lettering methods. I'd love to build on that with some kind of doodling class. I actually found the lettering class through Julie FanFei Bazler's blog because of a chat here at CD that introduced Julie's Art Journal a day class!

So many fun directions this can go in! And I love that it's all co-mingling. You are definitely on to something Christine!
Karen
KarenP
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby pam » May 20th, '13, 10:59 am

I got an e-mail yesterday from Big Picture Classes and they have a mixed media class starting in July and taught by Claudine Helmuth with projects by many different artists - our own Ronda P is one of them.
pam
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby kissy » May 20th, '13, 12:11 pm

Hello Ladies,

I just wanted to clarify and give you an update concerning the the Project Art starter kit - with your starter kit purchase you will receive a link to an awesome tutorial/class that Ronda is putting together on how to use the products in the starter kit - I had hoped to send it out the end of this week but Ronda asked if we could hold off as she had a few more ideas she wanted to add to the video. It's going to be awesome, so please just give us a couple more days and we will get it out to those that ordered the starter kit.

Every month Anna (and some months a guest mixed media artist) will post on the MB tips and photos on how to use the items that are included in that month's kit.
Christine
kissy
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby scrapally » May 20th, '13, 12:18 pm

Oh - does that mean that if we didn't buy the starter kit, we don't have access to those links?
Marion Wright Edelman
scrapally
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby wrightboysmum » May 21st, '13, 3:32 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the next kit. I would like some vintage items like music paper, Braille paper, ledger paper or shipping invoices for page bases. Golden paints would be ace as well along with good background stamps.
Sonja.x
wrightboysmum
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Postby mlepitts » May 21st, '13, 5:02 pm

scrapally wrote:Oh - does that mean that if we didn't buy the starter kit, we don't have access to those links?

Ally, Ronda and Christine are working on plans to best meet all needs concerning her introductory class, stay tuned for more info!
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Kelly in Canada » May 21st, '13, 5:50 pm

wrightboysmum wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing the next kit. I would like some vintage items like music paper, Braille paper, ledger paper or shipping invoices for page bases. Golden paints would be ace as well along with good background stamps.

i can send you some braille paper if you like.
Kelly in Canada
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » May 21st, '13, 6:05 pm

Ally I had a stencil class http://forum.cocoadaisy.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9848. during one of the crops. Hopefully that helps.
Just keep scrolling through there was some chatting as well.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby scrapally » May 22nd, '13, 8:45 am

Denise, that was an awesome link! I might just get some modeling paste out this weekend!
Marion Wright Edelman
scrapally
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby spagirl » May 22nd, '13, 10:20 am

I would love the chance to purchase a PDF with video access.
My LSS is wonderful and I already have many mixed media supplies... watercolor pencils already in my stash, watercolor crayons and watercolors too, lol.
Just this weekend I got some of the new viva inks and their products. I hope I can take the class next week there.
What I like is a technique vs project class for stuff like this.
I see many tag classes where you can list the how-to and colors used on the back of your tag. (Or mini 4x4 canvas)
That way, we can personalize our own project and use the techniques/basics to make suit our style.
I took a mixed media class and opted for the small canvas to experiment vs. larger format, afraid I'd mess up and hate it, lol.
I'll try and post a pic.
Here's a link to my (new) gallery. gallery/album.php?album_id=1200
(Still figuring things out here. Lol!)
-Joanne
instagram: @joannessmith
spagirl
Daisy Girl
Daisy Girl

Postby wrightboysmum » May 26th, '13, 3:51 pm

Kelly in Canada wrote:
wrightboysmum wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing the next kit. I would like some vintage items like music paper, Braille paper, ledger paper or shipping invoices for page bases. Golden paints would be ace as well along with good background stamps.

i can send you some braille paper if you like.

That's a lovely offer Kelly. If you let me know the postage I'll Paypal it through to you.
Sonja.x
wrightboysmum
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Return to Sneak Peeks