who are you?

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

Re: who are you?

Postby helpmeronda » Oct 19th, '11, 1:12 pm

karen...the 80s were a bit excessive but such a fun era looking back. I do love reading too and hopefully you won't ever have to sacrifice one for the other. Lexi is getting more into reading now that she is older. Andy & I are big readers and between the two of us, the library is quite stocked. We have similar tastes when it comes to books.
helpmeronda
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby ellen s » Oct 20th, '11, 6:56 pm

Oh Karen. I am so afraid of horses. I try and try and my best friend shows and breeds them and she laughs at me every time we go to her barn b/c I fret like a child. My son is named Henry, too, he is 3 and when people ask me what he is like, I say, "he is a total Henry". He makes me laugh and today he told me that I made him laugh. It was very sweet.

I think it is great to see so many teachers!!!

And Laura! OMW. I love the word snarky and afraid to ask what mardy means. I think from the context of the sentence it isn't good and I like that :)

Danielle, I am sorry about the Chrons, that must be really hard.

Rhonda, it is interesting that you were named after the Beach Boy song! That is cooooool.

And Jen! A wild woman??? I love it!! I see that. I did it for a summer. My parents cried when I left for Boulder, CO. They told everyone that I was going to live in a commune and not eat meat anymore, LOL! So, when I came home after that summer I wore a white Tshirt and no bra just to piss them off. I still tell Brain that when he is ready to move and leave it all to move to a hut on the beach to say the word.
ellen s
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby ellen s » Oct 20th, '11, 7:19 pm

So me...gosh I hope I don't offend anyone, LOL!
My name is ellen. Thank goodness for Ellen Degeneres. She made my name cool. I am quite sarcastic. I am super passionate and, unfortunately, intense. I am intense about everything...work...friends...love...shoes. I have a hard time when people don't agree with me...I mean..what are they thinking??? LOL!

I am married to Brian, aka Brain. I can't type "ia", my fingers don't go that way. I sent out a mass email to everyone I know and called him Brain so he will be forever that. Even our friends call him that now. I think he likes it. :P He is so great. He cleans, he is a grill master, he rubs my feet ALL the time, he lets me vent (I do that a lot), he goes to wine festivals even though he doesn't drink wine (he does like Shiraz now which is so fun!). He is shaves his head and has a lot of tattoos but wears a suit to work (yum!).

We have Owen (8) and Henry (3). We got married when I was 6 mos preggo with Owen and we didn't even know each other for a year. 8 years later we rock! We had a rough patch this time last year but I am glad we did. I love him more than ever today.

I lost my best friend to luekemia when I was 20, she was 19. Ever since then I changed. I can't explain it but my attitude is different...better. I know what you are saying...how can you change like that at 20 but you just do. I can't take people that are negative about everything. Some negativity is understandable but I don't have time for that kind of energy in my life and I hate to see it waste away others.

I struggle big time with spirituality. I don't see God like other people do. I am more of a universe person but believe in God, too. So, needless to say it's hard for me b/c I dont' have a lot of people to talk to about it. I cried myself to sleep this summer talking to Brain about how lost I felt in my spirituality and, no kidding, a few months ago an friend of mine that I only see at the pool in the summer asked me to join a woman's group. She is very spiritual and Catholic, almost to the point she could be an evangelist, LOL, and I was nervous. But it's not about what God you believe it's that you believe and I have begun to find my way back. We meet the first Thursday of every month and it is wonderful.

I loooove to work. I am a goof. I teach at night and work in the scrapbooking industry from home. I have to tell you. I have met three of the best friends I will ever have this way. We see each other twice a year but it's like we 've know each other forever. I have also connected with two local gals and we get together at least once a month to scrap! I love friends!!! I want more. Need more :) As you can tell, I am super social. Hyper social maybe hahaha.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE to clean :) We lived here for four years and the one day I was like, I'll vacuum. No joke, I didn't know how to turn it on. Brain and Owen died laughing. Brain vacuums, I do the kitchen floor ;) I am self taught cook and have gotten good at it. The good thing is that Brain eats anything. I loooove to read. It's like I AM the book when I am reading it. Strange, I know.

We LOVE to travel. Went to the Netherlands for Core this year and next year I think we are going to go to Hawaii if it works out with some family. I want my kids to remember where they have been, not all the stuff they have. So we travel a lot...even if it's just a weekend road trip to a friend's.

oh..I talk. A LOT. ::)
ellen s
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Sherry C » Oct 20th, '11, 8:22 pm

Such a lovely and interesting thread; great idea to start this, Emily!

Obviously, I'm a newbie here but I'd like to jump in...

My name is Sherry and I am 47 (gasp! can that be right?!), happily married for 27 years. We have two children, George (10) and Paige (8). We started our family late (intentionally) and wouldn't trade it for anything! Although I was born and lived in Indpls., IN for my first 30 years, we now reside in TN and I can't imagine living anywhere else. We live in Signal Mtn., TN and it is like living in Mayberry. ♥

I'm self-employed as an interior decorator (fun, fab job) and discovered scrapbooking in 2001 while taking some time off work after our son was born. I was instantly addicted/obsessed. Unfortunately, we no longer have a lss but I believe that's why God created the internet, for my personal shopping, pleasure! lol

I love to laugh, I'm sarcastic, loyal and am a straight-shooter. If you don't want my honest opinion on something, then please don't ask!

Besides scrapping, I also love to exercise, needlepoint, bake, and dabble in mixed media. I also LOVE to read but given my current addiction to scrap sites, pinterest, FB, and reality t.v., it doesn't leave much time for it.

I'm blessed with great friends and a wonderful family. I'm a positive, happy person (yes, I believe it's a choice we make) and I love my life... the good, bad and ugly, of course!
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby flapjack » Oct 21st, '11, 5:44 am

ellen s wrote:
And Laura! OMW. I love the word snarky and afraid to ask what mardy means. I think from the context of the sentence it isn't good and I like that :)

It means moany, grumpy, probably unnecessarily so. See also: 'don't be such a mard', 'you are such a mardybum today'. ;D ;D I think it's Northern slang. It's fun to say. :D You can also be 'in a right mardy', if you're in a grumpy mood. ;D

edit: The Arctic Monkeys did a song called 'Mardy Bum'. I never knew that. ;D ;D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp1fQ51YZMM

So... there you go. More than you ever wanted to know about the word 'mardy'.

By the way, love this thread. It's SO interesting. I love finding out about people. I guess that's why scrapping appeals to me!
Lx
flapjack
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby NickyNoo » Oct 21st, '11, 7:29 am

ellen s wrote:I loooove to work. I am a goof. I teach at night and work in the scrapbooking industry from home. I have to tell you. I have met three of the best friends I will ever have this way. We see each other twice a year but it's like we 've know each other forever.

I love this about scrapping!! I met Lis (FunkyFairy) online through scrapping and she is now one of my best friends. We get to meet up 2-3 times a year, and we talk on the phone loads. And I've met scrapping friends right here in the village that I wouldn't have done otherwise. What a wonderful hobby we all have :) :) :) .

PS: I love that you call him 'Brain' :D
Nicky xx
My Blog

Image Image
NickyNoo
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby ellen s » Oct 21st, '11, 10:12 am

flapjack wrote:
ellen s wrote:

It means moany, grumpy, probably unnecessarily so. See also: 'don't be such a mard', 'you are such a mardybum today'. ;D ;D I think it's Northern slang. It's fun to say. :D You can also be 'in a right mardy', if you're in a grumpy mood. ;D

edit: The Arctic Monkeys did a song called 'Mardy Bum'. I never knew that. ;D ;D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp1fQ51YZMM

So... there you go. More than you ever wanted to know about the word 'mardy'.

By the way, love this thread. It's SO interesting. I love finding out about people. I guess that's why scrapping appeals to me!

oh how fun. I thought it meant something a little more dirty, LOL!!! I want to go to the UK so bad. One day soon, I hope! Every time I talk about planning it, Brain changes the subject. I think he is worried I won't want to come home.
ellen s
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Oct 22nd, '11, 9:05 am

Ellen, I found your story wonderful and very interesting.
ellen s wrote:
I struggle big time with spirituality. I don't see God like other people do. I am more of a universe person but believe in God, too. So, needless to say it's hard for me b/c I dont' have a lot of people to talk to about it. I cried myself to sleep this summer talking to Brain about how lost I felt in my spirituality and, no kidding, a few months ago an friend of mine that I only see at the pool in the summer asked me to join a woman's group. She is very spiritual and Catholic, almost to the point she could be an evangelist, LOL, and I was nervous. But it's not about what God you believe it's that you believe and I have begun to find my way back. We meet the first Thursday of every month and it is wonderful.

I can relate to your feelings on this very much. I sometimes feel very alone in my journey with God. It's so important to me but not a lot of people share my views on it. Luckily I can talk to my husband about it and he is very good at listening and not judging. My son is going through the confirmation process at our Church and I loved what is mentor shared with him. Jameson was telling him that he wasn't sure if he believed. His mentor went on to say, "I'ts okay. Not everyone is blessed with the gift of faith. I wasn't, but I made a choice to believe. Hopefully you will discover enough through this process to make your own choice."

So glad you found a place you can feel safe talking about it. That is so wonderful!
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby alizadeutsch » Oct 22nd, '11, 11:59 pm

Karen, my husband has been reading the Game of Thrones series, and he tells me I should read it next. There's a copy being passed around at his work, so he said he'll try to get me the first book next. I have never heard so many gasps from him while reading, as I did when he was reading the 3rd book. Sounds gripping.

Ellen, and Denise--about spirituality--I don't consider myself spiritual at all when it comes to my religion, though I am pretty observant of the rules and rituals (of Judaism). I guess that used to bother me, but at some point I realized that while the practice of my religion doesn't make me feel particularly close to God, I like being part of the community, and a link in a long tradition. And that is meaningful and even spiritual in its own way. And, I think I am coming to realize that that amazing sense of awe and wonder and joy that I get from art and nature, that is spiritual too.

Oops, Am I going too far off topic here?
alizadeutsch
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Oct 23rd, '11, 11:00 am

Aliza that doesn't sound off topic at all and I understand what you mean.
My son Jameson is going through the process of confirmation in our church.. He is a lot like me, asks so many questions, wants answers, doesn't like the status quo. It's as if he wants a burning bush or a voice from the sky before he can believe. I totally get that feeling. I told him after the dinner that my faith hasn't been about mountain top experiences.

I was raised Catholic and although that is not the church we attend now I still light candles and sometimes pray my rosary. It's comforting because it connects me to all my people that came before me.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby ellen s » Oct 23rd, '11, 6:37 pm

Oh gosh! Now I am so glad I wrote that. I actually had it highlighted to delete. Sometimes I just get talking (typing whatever) and it's like something told me to not delete it. SEE it's faith, LOL!!!

I understand all of that and see spirituality in so many places and it's kind of where my soul has been searching, too. So that makes total sense to me, Aliza. I love what Jameson's mentor said. I think there is so much pressure out there to believe one way or the other. And it's nice you have someone to talk to about it, Denise. I don't like to talk about it and have been doing it internally lately and that isn't good either.
ellen s
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Previous

Return to The Day to Day Talk