HEY!!! Come Chat!! 23rd-29th January

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

HEY!!! Come Chat!! 23rd-29th January

Postby Funky Fairy » Jan 23rd, '17, 6:43 am

Hey Everyone!!

Is it a happy Monday in your house toady???
What have you got planned?

It's so cold here.
I'm slowly getting through today's to-do list.

Started the day off with a lovely upset with Hollie over a school trip that's so badly organised.
Sometimes I really hate schools!!!

It's Louis' 15th on Thursday.

And I'm taking Hollie to the Arts Uni for her interview on Wednesday which I'm so nervous about.
I really hate driving :(
I haven't driven out of our little town for sooooooo long and really don't want to go. Plus I need to take most of the day off work which I could really do without.

I have some scrapbooking on my list today and I really need to edit a video too.

Chicken for dinner with a bbq sauce with corn and green beans.

What's going on i your house?
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Re: HEY!!! Come Chat!! 23rd-29th January

Postby seemownay » Jan 24th, '17, 2:21 pm

Hi Lisa,

seems like our boys share the same birthday. My middle one turns ten on Thursday.

And my friend from Germany is flying in to see me so I need to get a lot of stuff done before she gets here.

Wow, being invited to the interview means that she move one step up? I hope she gets in if that's what she really wants to do! And you will do fine driving her there!

Today is the first day without rain in what feels like weeks of pouring rain. I'm so glad the sun is shining again.

Hope you all have a great week!
Simone
seemownay
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Instagram

Postby kiggies5 » Jan 26th, '17, 9:56 am

It's been super warm here in GA, but the cold weather is coming in. It's been a crazy busy week. My husband has been traveling and I am shuffling kids around. Yesterday my CD kit came...I'm in love! I hope to shot a video and then start to work on it.

BBQ chicken...mmmmmmmm! Maybe I'll have that for lunch.

Have a great rest of the week everyone! :)
Katherine
kiggies5
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jjflair » Jan 26th, '17, 10:44 am

Happy Thursday!!
And Birthday wishes to Louis and to Simone's son!

Been a busy work week here having to wrap up projects and communication with Taiwan before their offices close for Chinese New Year. The offices there will be closed for the next 2 weeks as everyone travels to be with family.

I've also been in a flurry of communication with Jeremy's school counselor and one of his teachers. I hope we've come to a place of understanding now about Jeremy's IEP and what his strengths and weaknesses are and how she might be able to accommodate him for success. I had to get into the whole "fair does not mean equal" thing with her, as she uses note-taking as her way of grading class participation, and she felt it wasn't fair to the rest of the class if Jeremy did not have to take notes. She was concerned that the other kids would rise up and complain. Well, the other kids do not have an Individualized Education Plan. We need to come up with a different key performance indicator that she can use on Jeremy instead of note-taking. He can't listen and write. But, he remembers everything he hears. She is considering allowing him to write a little summary at home to turn in the next day.

Thank you for letting me vent. :) It's been a long week. We have come so far on this autism path. Jeremy has learned so much and become such a great advocate for himself. It caught me off guard to have a teacher who is so rigid in her ways. Jeremy laments, "I am disappointed that teenagers have preemptively lost the trust of adults."
He slays me with his vocabulary and word choices. :D

Have a wonderful day, my friends! Off to get some housework done!
jjflair
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jan 26th, '17, 11:49 am

LisaF I can totally understand where you are coming from Momma!!! Been through the same exact thing with Conner. He cannot take notes. It's distracting to him and he remembers better w/o them. I was always surprised when I would come up against a teacher that didn't understand it is the law to follow an IEP. It was like they really thought Conner was trying to get away with something!! I am so sorry this is happening! Hopefully it will be resolved. Once I had to actually make a veiled threat to sue. :-[ And I am so so not the suing type!!!!!! We have to advocate for our kids though. It did all work out in the end. Good Luck. and a big hug.

Lisa happy birthday to Louis. When did he turn that old????? eek. Hope he had a nice day. How was Hollie's interview?? So exciting.

I have the morning off. I should go for a hike, probably will before I leave for work but it's so nice to putter around the house instead!!

Miss you guys. :)
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jbonomo » Jan 27th, '17, 7:22 pm

Lisa: Happy 15th to Louis! How did the celebration go? Has it been a year since you made that fun colorful cake? Hope the interview went well for Hollie.

Simone: Have fun with your girlfriend! what a coincidence that your middle one turned 10 the same day as Louis. And yes, enjoying the sunshine here albeit, very cold still (34 when we went to bed last night)....but not as cold as what Denise has to put up with.

Katherine: Can't wait to see what you create.....always love your gallery.

Lisa FF: I wish I had Jeremy's talent to remember everything he hears. Does he also remember events as if they were yesterday? 60 minutes did a segment on people with this ability.....I believe it is called hyperthymesia (opposite of amnesia???). it has to be frustrating that teachers may not take into account his special abilities. Thank you for sharing.

Denise: yeah, "me time" for you! How was the hike? How is the weather in Missoula?

Busy week for me with work and taking care of my mom's affairs but the payoff was a 2-day artfest with Nathalie Kalbach. Love this gal and her art! Hope to get a few hours to play tomorrow. On Sunday, Dyan is teaching a BYOB (Build your own Book) class. I love these classes but they leave me totally drained and takes a while to process everything......this is where Jeremy's talent would come in handy.

Ciao, ladies! Have a wonderful weekend!
jbonomo
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby lsasseville » Jan 28th, '17, 12:42 pm

well that was a busy week!!

At my restaurant, we did 2 school hot lunches, 174 kids and 248 kids, construction people there 2 days fixing the door area of since someone decided that our restaurant should be a drive through before Christmas :o thankfully the door area is pushed back to where it belongs now, and we have a new door and the rest is just cosmetic repair!

I have started writing out my heel pattern for the knitted socks I am working on, and so I hope to have that finished and published next week sometime.

this next week is more low key, probably more construction, maybe some house decluttering, and more knitting!
-Lindsay
Cocoa Daisy Day Planner Design Team
plan.knit.sew
lsasseville
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Instagram

Postby DeniseM » Jan 28th, '17, 12:53 pm

lsasseville wrote:well that was a busy week!!

At my restaurant, we did 2 school hot lunches, 174 kids and 248 kids, construction people there 2 days fixing the door area of since someone decided that our restaurant should be a drive through before Christmas :o thankfully the door area is pushed back to where it belongs now, and we have a new door and the rest is just cosmetic repair!

I have started writing out my heel pattern for the knitted socks I am working on, and so I hope to have that finished and published next week sometime.

this next week is more low key, probably more construction, maybe some house decluttering, and more knitting!

what is your restaurant called and what kind of food do you serve? I am not in the biz right now but have been in the past for over 20 years.

Would love to hear more about you!
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jan 28th, '17, 1:03 pm

Julie I love Nathalie! she is so nice and really dedicates her life to art, it's very inspiring. She was on the DT when I first started. I got to meet her in CA one year. Enjoy your weekend of art creation!

It has been cold but not like before! now 22 degrees feels balmy!! I have been getting out for my hikes but not everyday. I admit the winter time makes me more sleepy and I haven't been getting up as early which sets back my whole day and makes it hard to fit in a hike between jobs. Instead of 5/6 days a week I have been hiking about 3. Still better than nothing!

Need to start my taxes this weekend. ugh. hate it every year!
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby lsasseville » Jan 29th, '17, 4:51 am

My restaurant is called Wok Box, it's a small franchise restaurant started in Edmonton, Alberta. It now has over 50 stores in Canada and a few in the states as well as over seas. My husband and I have owned this one for just about 8 years. It's an asian fusion restaurant specializing in quick service, open kitchen, fresh cut stirfrys, and other asian influenced dishes. And we serve it in those cute Chinese take out boxes. Last night we delivered to a few out of country university students and they were super excited to eat out of the boxes...lol
-Lindsay
plan.knit.sew
lsasseville
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Instagram

Postby jjflair » Jan 29th, '17, 8:03 pm

Lindsay, your restaurant sounds yummy! And, I am one of those people who covets eating out of Chinese take out boxes. :). They always have them on TV, but I haven't seen them from a restaurant in a long time. I have a deep bowl that's about the right size that I like to hold in one hand and eat out of with the other while plopped on the couch.

Julie, I think I spied you in a couple of Nat's Instagram pix of her class. :). Bet it was awesome!! I'm glad you were able to have this creative time for yourself to recharge and renew while caring for your mom. Sending hugs. Tell me more about this BYOB class! Sounds right up my alley!! Had a good chuckle about that's when Jeremy's ability would come in handy. LOL! He does remember events like they were yesterday!! I will have to look for that 60 Minutes segment. He also refers to time in relation to when he got his first video gaming device (at age 7). :D

Eek! Computer is about to run out of power. Posting before it does!
Goodnight!
jjflair
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jbonomo » Jan 30th, '17, 1:27 am

Thanks, Denise! Woo hoo, 3 days a week is good this time of year. You live in beautiful country.

Lindsey.....yum! Sounds like a fun fun business but I'm sure a lot of work.

Lisa FFlair.....http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/r ... tjb3bde0c1

It was made with the square journal insert sheets (6 mixed media, 3 kraft and 3 black inserts). Score 3" from left side......ink, paint, stamp, etc., glue back to back, make spine, covers, washi (she has new clear/white washi you can paint/stamp), decorate with her colored glossy or canvas sheets, doodle, fussy cut stamped images.......boom, you are done!

Had a great day! This made up for Friday night/Saturday......we have a skunk problem, Houston. It lit off in the middle of night on Friday. PU Even woke us up! After a lot of investigation and clearing the side yard it turns out he moved into the shed (underneath) that is attached to the house. Last night was not as bad but still very potent. So tonight hubs rigged up a bright light shining into the area (after internet research), hopefully, he moves to more hospitable accommodations.
jbonomo
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jjflair » Jan 30th, '17, 12:52 pm

Oh, that is a cool book! :)

Sorry about your skunk squatter! I hope the bright light works. We had a raccoon issue and now keep the back porch light on at night and they don't seem to visit. We lost several fish and turtles from the pond before we tried the light.
jjflair
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby lsasseville » Feb 5th, '17, 6:00 pm

jbonomo wrote:
Lindsey.....yum! Sounds like a fun fun business but I'm sure a lot of work.

It has its moments for sure. Although now days it pretty much runs itself other then a few days here and there when we have school hot lunches and catering events. But my staff are pretty good now about being prepared for events and what all needs to be done when to pull them off successfully.

I mostly work from home, paperwork and marketing. So I tend to have lots of free time when I am not working on those.
-Lindsay
plan.knit.sew
lsasseville
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Instagram

Return to The Day to Day Talk