Do you still have a blog?

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

Do you still have a blog?

Postby DeniseM » Sep 14th, '16, 11:01 pm

Oh my gosh, tonight I sat for awhile and went through quite a few of my old blog entries. I loved it!!
The photos were so fantastic to see again and my writing was so pleasantly surprising. I really miss it.
It was such an intimate, special thing to write and share about my life. I didn't have many followers and it didn't matter. It felt really good. It felt more private?? Is that weird?

Anyway, it was a lovely way to spend some time tonight. :)
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: Do you still have a blog?

Postby kaffekananna » Sep 15th, '16, 6:28 am

Oh that sound lovely! I rarely blog nowadays but feel the urge to do it again, my blog was really really small too but as you said it was more intimate in a way. Also I tried to cover things that I myself went looking for when I was wondering about stuff. Like simple stuff like how to plant a seed and what to think about. A lot of the times I feel like the middle sections of things sort of go missing. Either it's an unboxing or its stuff done to perfection. I miss imperfections and simple how tos. If that makes any sense?
kaffekananna
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jjflair » Sep 15th, '16, 12:07 pm

I miss my blog, too! I have been teeter-tottering about dusting it off and jumping back in, or starting fresh, but maybe with the old posts under an archive tab.
jjflair
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Sep 15th, '16, 12:37 pm

I love to read blogs but do not have one personally - so many people have abandoned blogging for other social media

I agree, it has a different feel to it vs Instagram photos and quick blurbs on Facebook
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby TerryB » Sep 15th, '16, 12:47 pm

You know I never had a blog, but I do enjoy reading them. I can see where it would be awesome to go back and relive some of your memories that way. :)
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzannaL » Sep 15th, '16, 2:08 pm

I do... Well, I still pay for the monthly right to occasionally post something. Does that count? LOL!! People don't visit blogs as much as they used to so it's tough to spend all that time there. But I LOVE the old posts too, when I used to actually post family updates as well as scrappy stuff.
SuzannaL
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby kaffekananna » Sep 15th, '16, 3:40 pm

Personally I prefer reading blogs when I go look for how tos or reviews on things. I find that IG and YT often offer unboxings and finished products. Especially when it comes to reviews, have people forgotten what that word means? Like seriously, English is not in any way my native tounge but I do know that a review should offer some sort of opinion on the product or service at hand. (Sorry for rant but I've seen too many unboxings called reviews!)
kaffekananna
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby seemownay » Sep 15th, '16, 5:09 pm

I do.
I have been blogging for more than 10 years.
Some of it got lost, there is a lot less traffic, almost no comments but I would at least keep it as a personal place to keep all the things together.
I actually also have put together pages for tutorials and recipes but they are in German.
Most of my framework is still in German because I really don't know whether it is worth the time to translate it.
I would rather create which right now is more fulfilling.
seemownay
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Instagram

Postby cathioneill » Sep 16th, '16, 10:21 am

I still have a blog and still post, but it is really more for reference to design team projects that I have made for their blogs! Only 350 followers on my old one and nearly none on my new planner/Project Life one! I do love them for tutorials and design team projects, as they give more detail than an Instagram shot, but I get hardly any comments or visitors these days! I will keep on sharing projects though, just not as often as I did in years past!!

In case you want to visit :D

http://celticknotted.blogspot.com my older one...has blog posts going back years and years, back when I did more quilting and knitting!

http://dreamzintoplanz.wordpress.com my new one that will have a planner and Project Life Focus as well as design team posts...
cathioneill
Daisy
Daisy

Instagram

Postby DeniseM » Sep 17th, '16, 12:44 pm

Thanks for the interesting thread ladies.
I definitely am thinking of posting to my blog again. Just for me. I am not trying to be a scrap celeb or get lots of followers. I just want to write and post pretty photos. I want to discuss things that matter to me again. I don't even care if anyone else reads it. We'll see what I decide.

I definitely have not warmed to Facebook. It gives me a headache and really stresses me out. It's too much info. I don't understand how to use it. I am rebellious to. I am actually pissed that I can't communicate with online friends that I really admire and care about because I am not engaging in Facebook. If I want to know what is going on with their lives, that is the only place I can find out today. That's where people are. I have IRL friends who don't call or text or email anymore because they only communicate on FB. I hate that I feel coerced to engage in something I don't want to.

I know I am yelling alone in a room about this. I am not fighting it. It just bugs me once in awhile. I have a group of friends who posted a get together on FB and then wondered why I didn't come. ::) Because I didn't know about it. Or just recently Bill's nephew was in town and we missed seeing him because all of Bill's family uses FB to communicate. I. just. don't. get. it. ???

rant over.
Here are some lovely blogs
Our own Ashli http://purplemailbox.blogspot.com
Dina http://dinastamps.typepad.com
traveling couple http://howfarfromhome.com/blog/

my computer is so slow, hard to grab these url's, anyway. will post more another time. :)
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby kaffekananna » Sep 18th, '16, 10:13 am

That sounds somewhat rude to me! Sure Facebook can be a great compliment so other ways of communication but to think that everyone has or uses fb like that? I mainly use it to keep updated in different groups. The main feed is just confusing to me too!

Wouldn't it be fun to challenge ourselves to start blogging again? Not sure how but it feels like something that could be superfun. Perhaps have a couple of prompts per month, like share a scrapbook process one week, show a creative mess up and how you saved it another and so on. We could have a thread over here and share.

Blogging is the new black?
kaffekananna
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby seemownay » Sep 18th, '16, 4:38 pm

I totally get where you are coming from.
I am looking at this from two perspectives: my hobbies and my private life.
I have been sharing all of my crafty endeavors in different Facebook groups and I love the concept of getting quick advice, sharing, getting inspiration, having interesting discussions as it is possible in these groups. Also as an instrument for promoting a business I think it is vital to be present there and involve customers in lively discussions about their hobby. If you look at the "big" scrapbooking groups, there are thousands of members.

For private use and personal sharing: I found several people on Facebook from school or even when I was an exchange student in the States. It is nice to see what they are up to. But this is not how I communicate with close friends. Do you know what I mean?
seemownay
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Instagram

Postby Scrappin' Kathy » Sep 18th, '16, 8:49 pm

I really love to blog, but have never had my own scrapbooking blog. When I was on the Design Team for a local store, we had a blog and I absolutely loved writing for it.

I also love getting other people's blogs. I think what I like about blogs is you can set them up so they come straight to you email. It is almost no effort to peruse them and quickly delete those you don't want. I also find it easier to file the ones I want. It seems when I see something on Facebook, for example, I can't find it again when I want it. They also seem to have a nice mix of text and pictures. As you can tell, I'm a verbal person so like this better than something like instagram or pinterest.

Although blogs seem used less, a lot of people still have. Tim Holtz comes to mind. His is a nice mix of promotion and information. I get alot of ideas in about 2 minutes per week.
Scrappin' Kathy
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to The Day to Day Talk