Washers | Upright vs. Front-loading?

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

Washers | Upright vs. Front-loading?

Postby SuzMannecke » May 12th, '16, 8:05 am

I just wanted to take a poll of who has a front-loading washer and and who has an upright? Which do you prefer and why?

I have had my front-loading for about six years now and as I decided to rewash a load because it didn't smell clean enough, it occurred to me that I wish I had my old upright back. I think my clothes were better cleaned with it. Anyone else wish they still had (or are happy they still do have) their old upright?

Just curious! :)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Re: Washers | Upright vs. Front-loading?

Postby carolynhasacat » May 12th, '16, 8:48 am

When I bought new machines about 7 years ago I considered getting a front loading, did some research and asked people's experiences and ended up deciding to go with a regular (energy efficient) top loading. My sister-in-law in particular dislikes her front loading machine - she also believes it doesn't work as well as a top loading machine and she hates all the bending down to load and unload it.

They look lovely though, and I do like having a work surface on top, but it's not worth the extra cost for me to have a machine that also doesn't not function better.
carolynhasacat
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » May 12th, '16, 9:14 am

We don't really get the choice over in the UK.
Everything is so much more compact and our machines are much smaller.
The majority of us have our machines in the kitchen, so they fit under the work surface, so top loading would never be an option.

You have no idea how much fun it is when we use the washing machine in the US.
:) :) :)
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby Niru » May 12th, '16, 10:43 am

I wish I had a top loader again. I have a front loader now but I really don't like it.
Once we stayed in a condo with amazing appliances. That was a front loader that actually got stains out and kept clothes fresh. I forgot the name though!
Niru
Design Team
Design Team

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby jbonomo » May 12th, '16, 12:16 pm

I have a top-loader but love the looks of the front loading machine. I recently had the same unpleasant smelling freshly washed clothes (I go through a lot of gym clothing) so ran it again with a vinegar/baking soda mixture and it came out much better.
jbonomo
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » May 12th, '16, 12:26 pm

Thanks for your input all! I use the "Sports" blend of detergent for the boys "teen funk" and dishcloths, but I just feel sometimes the clothes don't get fully washed through. Sometimes I pull them out and the whole load isn't completely saturated with water. It defeats the purpose of being high efficiency if you have to run the load twice! :/

@thefunkyFairy: I think it is so interesting to see how things are different in England from the States and how your washer and dryers are in the kitchen, etc. So fun! Happy you enjoying running a load or two in the States too Lisa! The simple pleasures, right? :)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby SuzannaL » May 12th, '16, 4:26 pm

Funky Fairy wrote:We don't really get the choice over in the UK.
Everything is so much more compact and our machines are much smaller.
The majority of us have our machines in the kitchen, so they fit under the work surface, so top loading would never be an option.

You have no idea how much fun it is when we use the washing machine in the US.
:) :) :)

That was one of the things that I loathed about visiting Gran in England; doing 20 loads of laundry instead of 6 and everything was "crunchy" and crisp from the line! LOL!!

I have a front load and it's no where near as efficient as a top load machine. The kids' nasty swim towels I run on a double cycle so as to get them clean properly. I also use essential oils that result in a cleaner wash I think.
SuzannaL
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby seemownay » May 12th, '16, 4:49 pm

Strangely my comment is gone? Or didn't get posted?
Hm.
When we moved into our first apartment, we bought a Miele front-loader, which is like the top brand in Germany. It washed everything and everything came out clean.

Now, I have a top loader and sometimes it feels as if the clothes didn't get washed at all. Even though the old machine must have been much gentler, since now all of my towels start to fall apart.
seemownay
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Instagram

Postby mlepitts » May 13th, '16, 6:15 pm

We just replaced our first washer dryer set a free months ago and ended up going with a top loader again. It's a high efficiency one and I was worried because of how little water it used, but we've been very pleased with it. We did a good deal of research and the front loaders, while very appealing visually, didn't get the good reviews. Price was another factor. Yikes!

Simone, if you are responding at the same time as someone else, your post won't show up. Try scrolling down if that happens and you should see your original post, you can submit it again without typing it all up.
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Sharmaine » May 14th, '16, 8:10 pm

we have an upright and I won't be swapping anytime soon.
We got the biggest washer possible and front loaders wouldn't cope with the amount of washing we have everyday lol
Sharmaine
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Return to The Day to Day Talk