Cookie Swap

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

Cookie Swap

Postby jjflair » Dec 10th, '15, 8:00 pm

Terry's alert to National Brownie Day had me thinking about sweets. I was going to ask what everyones favorite holiday cookies are, and then thought, "Hey! We could do a virtual swap!"

This is the no-calorie version, so maybe not as good as a real swap where we'd all show up with a few dozen of one type of cookie, and swap by the half-dozen with everyone and leave with a plateful of all kinds of delicious cookies!

Here, we can just post up recipes of our favorites. More trade, less mess! Lol!

Here's a recipe for some biscotti:

Almond Cranberry Biscotti

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. almond extract
4 medium eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups dried cranberries
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
White chocolate for melting and drizzling (optional)

Preheat oven to 350*F. Prep cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper or lightly spraying with cooking spray. In a bowl, cream sugar and butter together. Add almond extract and eggs; mix well. In another bowl, combine flour and baking powder, and add to butter-egg mixture. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Divide dough in halves or thirds. (I usually do thirds and have smaller cookies but more of them. ;) ) On a well-floured surface, shape into logs. Transfer to cookie sheet and bake 20 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. Cool on a rack for at least 5 minutes. Cut logs on the diagonal with a serrated knife into 3/4 inch slices. Return to baking sheet, leaving space around each slice. Bake for 15 minutes or until desired crispness. Cool completely on rack. Decorate with a drizzle of melted white chocolate if desired.

Enjoy!
jjflair
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: Cookie Swap

Postby LauraC » Dec 11th, '15, 6:23 am

Yuuummmm - love biscotti

My all time favorite are Genetti cookies

This recipe is the closest one I could find to Tony's Grandma's recipe - I found it on a blog a couple years ago - I usually use vanilla vs the anisette

Genetti

Ingredients
1/4 cup of sugar (or 1/2 cup to double)
just under 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (or 3/4 cup)
3 eggs (or 6 eggs)
1/2 tablespoon of anisette flavoring (or 1 T)
1 3/4 cups of sifted white flour (or 3 1/2 cups)
3 tablespoons of baking powder (or 6 T) - no, that's not a typo!
half a pinch of salt (or a full pinch to double)

Method
Beat sugar and oil for 2 minutes or so. Incorporate eggs one at a time with a whisk. Be thorough here - you want a light and bubbly yellow mixture when you are done. Add the anisette. Then add salt and dry ingredients mixing lightly. Traditionally you roll little snakes of dough in flour (its a sticky process) and roll the snakes into elaborate knots, but my lovely assistant does not like this process, so balls will do in a pinch for time. Bake on a lined sheet for 5 - 10 minutes at 350 degrees. I make a simple icing of butter, icing sugar, milk, a little bit of red food coloring and heavy on the anisette extract because I can't get enough of the taste.

Some cooks add candied lemon peel to the batter and crushed unsalted pistachios on top after icing.
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby gem66 » Dec 11th, '15, 11:23 am

Awww geez girls! What a great and festive idea! I'll come up with something!
gem66
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Dec 11th, '15, 11:34 am

I have a great recipe for rugelach that I will share tonight ladies.
Thank you so much for the recipes, baking this weekend!
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby deblew » Dec 11th, '15, 7:15 pm

My favorite cookie that we only make at Christmas is these Thumbprint Cookies. We made them when I was a kid, and I've made them every year for as long as I can remember. I've seen them also called Rudolph's Cookies and Austrian Jam Cookies (they use raspberry jam in these).

Thumprint Cookies

1 c. butter, softened (2 cubes)
¾ granulated sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla extract (can use almond)
2 c. all purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
1-¼ c. finely chopped pecans (almonds are also good)
Red currant jelly

Beat butter at medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks and vanilla extract, beating until blended.
Combine flour & salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, blending at low speed. Cover and chill dough 1 hour.
Shape dough into 1” balls. Lightly beat egg whites. Dip each ball in egg white, then roll in pecans. Place 2” apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Press thumb in each cookie to make an indentation. Please small amount of jelly into each indentation.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Deb
deblew
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Instagram

Postby DeniseM » Dec 11th, '15, 11:57 pm

Deb I make Jam Thumbprint cookies to!

My signature Christmas Cookie is rugelach.

There are many recipes for this but this is what I know to be the traditional recipe. It was given to me by a woman who knows!

8oz package of cream cheese softened to room temp
2 sticks of room temp butter
2 cups of flour
1tsp of salt

cream butter and cream cheese with a mixer. In separate bowl mix salt and flour. Add to butter cream cheese mixture and blend. Separate into 3 balls of dough. flatten and wrap in plastic or waxed paper and refrigerate.

Chop walnuts (don't have amounts??) finely and put in a small bowl.
mix cup of sugar and cinnamon in another bowl. (again no amounts of cinnamon just what you would use for cinnamon toast??)
chop currants or raisins, cranberries or cherries. Doesn't matter which. put those in a small bowl.

favorite jam. I like Polanar All fruit. Raspberry or Apricot. I usually use both, separately.

Roll out on a floured surface the dough, like a pie crust. Spread with jam, sugar/cinnamon mixture than nuts than raisins.

I use a pizza cutter and cut the dough into 12 pieces. Then roll up into cresents and place on parchment paper.

Cook at 350 for about 20 minutes. let cool. Some people sift powdered sugar on top.
You can also use chopped chocolate chips instead of jam with the walnuts.

This is a recipe I have used for years. People beg me to make these every Christmas. I find that making the dough ahead of time by days and then making them as I go works great. The chopped walnuts, sugar and raisins keep great in containers with a lid and the dough can be refrigerated for days ahead. I will sometimes make 4 or 5 batches of dough at a time and bake a bit at a time for a week. Once you have everything ready, the prep is so easy. Great gifts for Christmas.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby deblew » Dec 12th, '15, 10:03 am

Denise, these sound yummy! I may have to give them a try!
Deb
deblew
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Instagram

Postby TerryB » Dec 12th, '15, 11:50 am

I have my Mom's recipe for sour cream sugar cookies. They are sooo good! I'll have to find it and share, but later. We are off to cut down our tree! :)
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Dec 12th, '15, 12:22 pm

So far, I'm trying ALL of these recipes!
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jjflair » Dec 12th, '15, 1:43 pm

Oh, these all sound so yummy!! I absolutely adore the tradition behind all these cookie recipes!! Lovely!!
jjflair
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to The Day to Day Talk