2015 Reads

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

2015 Reads

Postby SuzMannecke » Jan 8th, '15, 5:04 pm

So I started on my 2015 reading list (it's more in my mind and on my shelves than a written list in full at this point) and currently I am reading Anne of Green Gables -given to me by a dear friend who was appalled that I hadn't read it as a child! Mind you, I was a voracious reader as a child, but again, a bit of a tomboy, so that didn't appeal to me as much as Tom Sawyer and Oliver Twist. LOL

I am really enjoying it so far. Anne reminds me quite a bit like me-curious and conversational.

Who else has started in on their reading lists?

Please share. :)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Re: 2015 Reads

Postby doris sander » Jan 8th, '15, 6:01 pm

i read anne of green gables (and also emily of new moon, a lesser known series by the same author) voraciously as a child. great books!

i just finished the third in one of the shannara series (voyage of the jerle shannara) by terry brooks. i read his original series as a kid and have enjoyed revisiting my youth by dipping into some of his others this year.

currently, i'm about halfway through the weight of silence by heather gudenkauf. it's apparently her first published work and, so far, is really good.

last year, i made a goal of reading 52 books. i managed to barely squeak by with that and it felt really good (the reading 52 books, not the barely squeaking by). i'm planning on going with a goal of 52 books again this year. i've already got a huge stack to get me started. yay books!
Doris

blog: dorissander.blogspot.com

doris sander
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Jan 8th, '15, 7:05 pm

I put a goal of 20 books on Goodreads at the new year. My next book is Gone Girl for book club. I want to read the remaining two from Divergent. Mockingjay. I want to finish November 1963. I think I have five books started right now. I need to get reading!
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Olivia » Jan 8th, '15, 8:49 pm

I set a goal on Goodreads to read 100 books the year. I have read three thus far. Nazi Hunters, which is a nonfiction book on how people were able to track down Adolf Eichmann. It was one I had bought off our book fair last year for the library. I have a number of students who are interested in the Holocaust & this book was a good one.

I also read The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer. Some of the kids at school and I are in an after school book club that is being led by another teacher. This is our current book and is 400 pages long. That's a lot to ask of fifth & sixth graders, but it is a very good book. It is about Vikings, dragons, trolls.... Really good fantasy.

I also read a short nonfiction about honey bees.

Right now I am reading an adult fiction book by Michael Conelly called The Black Box. It's a detective murder mystery.

I really love to read. I find it very relaxing & the perfect me time activity. :)
Olivia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby doris sander » Jan 8th, '15, 9:05 pm

laura! i'm in the middle of november 1963, too, and needing to finish it!
Doris

blog: dorissander.blogspot.com

doris sander
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby jessi lute » Jan 9th, '15, 11:58 am

oooooh anne of green gables and the rest of the books following anne's life were favourites of mine.
i read them as a child and re-read them every few years. being that the author and story is canadian, the books were created as a tv movies....and they air every year as well...love watching them with my children.

i haven't created a book list yet...but i have had a lot of books suggested to me that i want to check out and then start creating a book list for this year...
looking forward to checking out some of the books mentioned here as well :)
jessi lute
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby JanetS » Jan 9th, '15, 12:41 pm

So happy to see this thread. I used to be a reader and then, with migraines, I just lost interest and motivation :( I want to start reading again and am looking for suggestions, etc. I read Anne of Green Gables and loved it! I don't think I read any other of the author's books. I have read some of the recent and not so recent teen fiction. I love Nancy Farmer and I think I've read quite a few of her books. I also like to suggest another writer, Joan Aiken, who was very popular with young adults in the eighties. She wrote fantasies about kids in England. :)
JanetS
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Jan 9th, '15, 8:52 pm

How many of these have you read????

http://news.distractify.com/mark-pygas/top-books/

I've read well over 50% of them.
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jan 9th, '15, 9:53 pm

Oh my gosh, Laura thank you so much for that list. I have read 74 out of all of those books. I have not read 26 of them. :) Do you know what my favorite was out of all of them? The mixed up Files of Mrs. Bail Frankweiler. I read it in 3rd grade while I was living in Atlantic Beach Long Island. The beach was across the road from my house and I remember going to the city all the time to the opera and the metropolitan museum of art. I was rather unhappy during that time because of some family drama that I was just becoming aware of, being at that age. I dreamed of running away to the Museum and living there. It was in 1976, 9 years after the book was written. It brings back some interesting memories.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Jan 10th, '15, 7:44 am

I'm going to print it and put it in my planner. I'm going to strive to read more of the list this year. I've never read that one Denise. I'll bring that one up high on my list
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Jan 13th, '15, 2:07 pm

doris sander wrote:i read anne of green gables (and also emily of new moon, a lesser known series by the same author) voraciously as a child. great books!

i just finished the third in one of the shannara series (voyage of the jerle shannara) by terry brooks. i read his original series as a kid and have enjoyed revisiting my youth by dipping into some of his others this year.

currently, i'm about halfway through the weight of silence by heather gudenkauf. it's apparently her first published work and, so far, is really good.

last year, i made a goal of reading 52 books. i managed to barely squeak by with that and it felt really good (the reading 52 books, not the barely squeaking by). i'm planning on going with a goal of 52 books again this year. i've already got a huge stack to get me started. yay books!

that's awesome Doris! I made a goal of 26 in 52 weeks last year- and while I lost count- I thinnnnk I am close to meeting that goal.

Thanks for sharing these book recs ladies! :)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby deblew » Jan 13th, '15, 2:15 pm

LauraC wrote:How many of these have you read????

http://news.distractify.com/mark-pygas/top-books/

I've read well over 50% of them.

Great list! Interesting to see how many of them were made into movies...

Love to read... I usually have a book going on my e-reader, and an audible one to listen to on my commute. I've never challenged myself to a set number per year... I guess I should at least keep count! I might surprise myself! lol
Deb
deblew
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Instagram

Postby Marti » Jan 13th, '15, 3:23 pm

Thanks for that list, Laura. I have read a lot of those that were listed. Ones that I loved that jumped out at me are Watership Down, The Pillars of the Earth, The Thorn Birds, Gone With the Wind and The Catcher in the Rye.
And, To Kill a Mockingbird is my all time favorite book. I read it at least once a year. :)

I just finished The Husband's Secret and I am deciding what to read next. I would love to get back to read more regularly this year- aim for at least 40 books.
MARTI :)
Marti
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Jan 21st, '15, 12:13 pm

Thanks for that list Laura! Gone Girl was good but it was a bit slow at first for me. I still enjoyed reading it though!
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby AmberCA » Jan 21st, '15, 4:02 pm

I have read the whole Anne of Green Gables series a couple times and it is one of my all time favorites!

Thanks for the list, Laura. It was fun to see that I had read about 60-70% of those books already.

I just finished reading 'The Storied life of A.J. Fikry' and I loved it.

Right now I am reading 'Serena' by Ron Rash, soon to be a movie. It is good, a little dark, very detailed about the logging camps in North Carolina in the 1920-30s.
***Amber***
AmberCA
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Return to The Day to Day Talk