Goodwill / Thrift Stores

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

Goodwill / Thrift Stores

Postby Funky Fairy » Oct 3rd, '14, 9:18 am

Do you shop in these?

I would never have stepped foot in one a few years ago, but since all the crafting I now like a good treasure hunt.
I was in town this morning and Ade went next door to the optitians. So I went in for a nose. It's a very wealthy town, so I'm always on the look out for a bargain.
I spotted a really really nice cardigan today. Navy blue, my colour with a little tie at the neck. So cute.
It's from Dickens and Jones which is a very very nice brand over here. The cardigans are usually $100. This looks brandnew and cost me $8 :)

So happy with my pretty bargain!!
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Re: Goodwill / Thrift Stores

Postby mlepitts » Oct 3rd, '14, 9:39 am

I think I may have mentioned once or twice how much I love thrifting. :)

We have a fabulous store in the area, they get donations from my favorite stores like Eddie Bauer, Christopher and Banks, the Gap, Chicos, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Loft, j. jill. So if you hit it right, you can find really nice clothing, brand new, for a fraction of the cost. I bought a bunch of Sunday formal clothes for my new teaching position at church there. I spend less than a $100 and got five skirts, as many shirts, a scarf, shoes (BASS! BRAND NEW!), a couple of denim jackets, and a mohair coat.

I'm all about thrifting. And you can find some great MCM furniture. You just have to see potential.

I'll admit I wasn't a fan until the past year. :)
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby LauraC » Oct 3rd, '14, 10:11 am

I'm a thrifter from way back! Add in garage sales, yard sales and estate sales. That's how we got so many Christmas bulbs for our bulb wreaths last year. Estate Sales. Right now I have a BOX of zippers to make some more zipper pins like Ronda showed on her blog a couple years ago. I also have a stack of 1920s magazines to frame a few advertisments for my crafty space. I now have 5-6 old vintage cameras to go on the shelf that I have laying behind the door in my craft room for decoration. I need to so something with my fantastic finds!
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby TerryB » Oct 3rd, '14, 10:55 am

I've been once or twice, but would like to go again. My Mom was a huge garage sale shopper, and my sister does great purchasing designer clothes when she thrifts. I was thinking I might go and look for some dressy clothes. I don't dress up often enough to pay a lot of money for them, but I should probably have a few more dressy pieces in my wardrobe.
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AmberCA » Oct 3rd, '14, 11:39 am

I love thrifting and garage sales! But where I live things get pretty picked over. I would love to go thrifting in a wealthy area....San Barbara maybe...hmm.
***Amber***
AmberCA
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby MarthaBonneau » Oct 3rd, '14, 12:57 pm

Thrift stores are my second home :)
MarthaBonneau
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AshleyCalder » Oct 3rd, '14, 2:11 pm

Yes, not as often as I like but I love thrifting!!

I find here we have to be careful about pricing.. it's not uncommon for something like a pair of Old Navy jeans to be marked as $15, which is crazy for a used pair of jeans. It's not like Old Navy is a prestige designer name!! The big chain of used stores, Value Village, is especially bad at ridiculous pricing. I frequently see items from the dollar store there (and I know they are from the dollar store because they have the dollar store sticker on them still!) marked at 2 dollars or more...
AshleyCalder
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby mlepitts » Oct 3rd, '14, 2:14 pm

That is crazy Ashley. :(
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Funky Fairy » Oct 3rd, '14, 2:35 pm

Ashley, that's so naughty :( You'd feel so cheated.

Em, your store sounds great.

My sister is the biggest thrifter I know. She loves coming to stay near us as we have alot of wealthy areas around us. When we take family or friends to Windsor, most get excited about seeing the castle, she gets excited about the thrift shops :D
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby jessi lute » Oct 3rd, '14, 3:21 pm

i love thrifting as well...grew up thrifting...mostly back then from necessity, but it's something that stuck with me and now my kids and i love going to thrift shops!

but like ashley said...we have to be careful about pricing up here!
jessi lute
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby nittygrittyjody » Oct 3rd, '14, 5:57 pm

What a great deal, Lisa!
I love thrifting, but the clothing shops near me are pretty bad about wear and tear {and smell bad!} so I don't do much shopping for clothes. I wish I had better shops for that because kids grow fast !
I do like to stop in a couple of places for home stuff or antiques. I love old books for cheap!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mlepitts » Oct 3rd, '14, 6:49 pm

nittygrittyjody wrote:What a great deal, Lisa!
I love thrifting, but the clothing shops near me are pretty bad about wear and tear {and smell bad!} so I don't do much shopping for clothes. I wish I had better shops for that because kids grow fast !
I do like to stop in a couple of places for home stuff or antiques. I love old books for cheap!

Jody, you need to come and visit ME!!! :)
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby nittygrittyjody » Oct 3rd, '14, 11:33 pm

Thanks for the invite, Emily! I might have to get a planner kit and put that on my to-do list on the first page!

:)
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Oct 4th, '14, 1:00 am

Jody, that's not good :(

I have to say that I'm picky where I go and we do have some good ones that are really nice. Organised so well and very clean with very helpful members of staff.
Makes a big difference.

I take our pieces to a local goodwill store and some things are a little hard to part with, but you just can't keep everything.
The kids had these 2 huge books. I mean up to my waist tall. They were beautiful stories and I loved reading these big books to them when they were little.
I dropped them off and the lady in there working was older.
She looked at one of them and was thrilled as her grandchildren loved that story and would love that big book and she wanted to buy it for them.
It was such a nice feeling knowing that something that we had loved was going to a nice home.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby LauraC » Oct 4th, '14, 8:35 am

I also like to shop our local county recycle shop online on Facebook. I just picked up 20 Dr Seuss books for $25 in fantastic shape. I had given all my kids' books away when we moved 14 years ago and now I regret it
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Patricia » Oct 4th, '14, 12:39 pm

Well we just survived our first garage sale. Emma has her own earnings and we have enough to cover Christmas. Phew. Glad it is over. But still lots to bring either to consignment or good will.

Now that our Good Will is closer thrifting is what I need to do for clothes especially for me.

My problem is I dot get out a lot but with Emma in school that will help.

Awesome deal Lisa. I agree I have seen Avon earrings in an antique shop. Have to know what you are getting.
Patricia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Oct 4th, '14, 5:31 pm

I love thrifting and used to do it a lot but don't have as much time any more. I used to find that if I visited at least a couple of times a month I could usually find some nice things. I have gotten cashmere sweaters for 10 dollars. In perfect condition! Also, cowboy boots for cheap. Last winter I bought Conner a leather jacket for 25 dollars. It is so cool, and worth much much more than that. We have lots of good stores here in Missoula.

Years ago when I was in high school I was always buying clothes in thrift stores. You could still find some really nice vintage items back then. I prided myself in my thrift store wardrobe! It used to drive my mother insane. She would die before shopping at a thrift store. :P
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Patricia » Oct 4th, '14, 7:24 pm

That makes me laugh Denise about your Mom. I think it is so cool to see and hear what people get.

My Mom was all about sales. She would go often and always end up with great deals. I did not inherit the shopping gene. I dislike shopping a lot.
Patricia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Oct 5th, '14, 12:59 pm

I am a thrifter here too, but in reality I only get out to thrift once a year or so. But I imagine as the boys get older, I may get out a bit more. My mom is so cute, she will go to donate items, and then come out purchasing items as well. She says it's a win-win! The get donations and her money! ;) :)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby DeniseM » Oct 6th, '14, 7:26 pm

Patricia my mom shops at Nordstroms! She is so "Connecticut housewife" I love her to death but we live very different lives. :)
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Next

Return to The Day to Day Talk