Overnight Camps

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

Overnight Camps

Postby Sherry C » Jul 7th, '14, 6:04 am

Today I'm dropping Paige off for her first overnight camp. Her anticipation of this event has been so fun to watch. This week will be so quiet in my house - a gaming teenager and hubby is on a road trip. Perhaps I'll get some scrapping done!!!

I loved camp as a kid. Did you all go to/enjoy summer camps?
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: Overnight Camps

Postby Nicole N » Jul 7th, '14, 7:23 am

I only went once to a local camp - I think I must have been 12-13? I really can't remember much, although I do recall it being fun!!

Enjoy your quiet week! :)
Nicole N
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

Postby nittygrittyjody » Jul 7th, '14, 7:45 am

My girls, Bella and Ava, were at camp last week. It was nearly a 4 hour drive to get them there and back- so it was a big sacrifice to do so, but I just loved camp as a girl and knew they would have a blast. They had all the usual camp stuff...zip line, laser tag, swimming and campfire...and also spent the week learning songs and dance/movements for a musical that they presented when the parents came to get them on Friday night.
It was a wonderful experience for them!

The worst part was having them belt out camp songs they had learned at 10:30 at night on the drive home. :)

I hope your daughter has a great week, and that you do too, Sherry!
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mlepitts » Jul 7th, '14, 11:33 am

We had a church sponsored girls' camp every summer. We'd hike, do crafts, swim, canoe, cook our own food, and have hoedowns. I loved it from age 12 until I was 17, then it wasn't cool :)
mlepitts
Design Team
Design Team

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Patricia » Jul 9th, '14, 6:48 pm

Hope you get some scrap time in, Sherry!

I never did a camp growing up. Sounds like I have missed out. As a much older teenager about 18 it 19, I did do a camp with friends and then next day went canoeing. And then as an adult, me and hubby were youth leaders at our church and went to church camps with teens. I wouldn't consider it really camping though because we always stayed on a college campus and used the dorms. LOL. But still fun.
Patricia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Sherry C » Jul 10th, '14, 7:39 am

Jody - How fun that they performed for you all at the end!

Like Emily, I attended a church camp every year and loved it. We didn't do grand, exciting things, but I loved the social aspect of it.

I haven't had a chance to scrap yet, but I'm still hoping to squeeze some in before the week is over.
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Ami » Jul 10th, '14, 12:45 pm

Sherry, I think that Paige will have a great time at the camp.

I loved going to (summer) camp with the church youth group. The highlight was a summer when we flew to a camp in the very south of Sweden, where we met kids from all over Sweden.
I used also to go on horse riding camps.
Ami
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby StephanieEloise » Jul 10th, '14, 3:13 pm

I am a huge proponent of camp! I went from age 9-16, and loved every minute of it! I counseled the last two summers, and I'm headed up to camp on Sunday to hang out and spend the night. I couldn't commit to a full week this year.
StephanieEloise
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby northcarmen » Jul 10th, '14, 7:21 pm

Camp was one of the highlights of my year from ages 10 to 18. My parents were involved with Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship (IVCF) in their university days, and both of them worked at IVCF's Pioneer summer camps in Alberta, so it was a natural for them to send me and my brother to a similar camp here in Saskatchewan. IVCF rented a private camp called Oshkidee every year for the month of August, with a week each for girls (9-12), boys (same ages) and a teen camp called Plunge. We didn't have anything fancy like zip lining or laser tag, but we had arts and crafts, archery, "wide games" (played over the entire camp site), campfires, speakers, Bible studies, kayaking, canoeing, swimming, costume parties (I won once for my Puss in Boots costume), singing, rowdy meals, cabin inspections and chores, blueberry-picking, tuck shop (where you could buy candy and snacks), a memorable square dance, and every year an overnight "out trip" where we canoed out to a more remote spot and did the tenting/campfire food/roughing it in the bush experience. Camp was my safe place, a place I was accepted and happy, during a time in my life when that wasn't my usual experience. I will always treasure it. :) The beautiful location didn't hurt either -- http://www.camposhkidee.com/

Carmen.
northcarmen
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Anna Sigga » Jul 11th, '14, 6:38 am

I didn't camp much as a kid - only with my parents and friends.
But my girls love sleeping in a tent and even though DH and I aren't much into camping we do go on camping trips with family from time to time!
My blog - Scrappalicious
Anna Sigga
Daisy Petal
Daisy Petal

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest

Postby SuzMannecke » Jul 12th, '14, 10:08 am

How fun for Paige and for you (scrappy time)!
Hope she has a great time.

I loved tennis camp, band camp, cage camp (basketball) and FCA camp (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). I was chosen to attend Badger Girl's State (which was kind of a leadership/citizenship camp at our state capitol where we set up a mock form of democracy and we each played various roles in the state government) by my principal and teachers. Girl Scout camp too. Sheesh-I guess my parents did send me off on quite a few adventures! I love adventures! Maybe that's why I am prone to wander. LOL Such a fun thread! TFS Sherry. It really has sparked my memory-need to add "Camps" to my personal album!!

Off to read the rest of the posters' comments!
Happy Saturday!
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Return to The Day to Day Talk