HEY, It's July!!! CHAT THREAD 06/30 - 07/06

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

HEY, It's July!!! CHAT THREAD 06/30 - 07/06

Postby Funky Fairy » Jun 30th, '14, 2:57 am

That doesn't seem possible.
July???
How are you today?
Come and share your stories of the weekend and your week ahead.

We had planned to go to the zoo with friends on Saturday. The forecast was heavy rain all day.
I woke at 6.30am to blue skies and sun. The rain was due at 9am.
We packed up the picnic and the car and left with raincoats.
It poured down on the way and then brightened up before we got there. Apart from a couple of minutes of rain when we arrived we didn't have any until about 4pm by which time we were near the exit to leave anyway. We had sunshine :)
Apparently they had heavy rain at home all day. We were so lucky.

Yesterday was a homework, cleaning and work day (for me). I'd planned to see a friend for a quick coffee and that didn't happen. We'd planned to go swimming and that didn't happen.
I did scrap 2 LO's for a magazine commission (that's falls in to the work category).

Not too much planned this week.
Louis is out at a friends tonight. I have a dr appointment on Wednesday re my migraines and also for my smear.
Not sure what's happening with Hollie on Saturday. She's supposed to be having her friends stay to celebrate her birthday which is next week, but one of the other girls has her birthday the next weekend and they are talking about doing something together. This girl is from Cali. They have a little caravan on their driveway, so the girls like to have sleepovers there :)

I'm loving seeing Laura's photos on fb :)

Denise, you went out on the boat. That lake looks huge. Did you enjoy?

Look forward to catching up with you all.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Re: HEY, It's July!!! CHAT THREAD 06/30 - 07/06

Postby DeniseM » Jun 30th, '14, 8:18 am

Yes Lisa, it is a huge lake! It's actually the largest fresh water lake west of the Mississippi. (little fyi)

Conner was working :( but Jameson came with us. :) It was pretty rough and rather chilly but it was a lot of fun. We wanted to make sure everything ran well and teach Jameson to drive, launch it, etc. He did great. We stopped in a little town and had lunch and then went by the cottage that Bill and I first lived in together when I was pregnant with Conner. It has changed a lot. They added onto it and made it really fancy.

Got home in time to make some soup and do some chores. I am so tired today?

I hate complaining about it but I think I must be burned out. It doesn't seem to matter how much I sleep I just feel bone tired these days. I really do need to take some time off. Crossing fingers I can swing a long weekend this month and then a week in August!

Laura had some cool cave photos on IG. I hope you are having fun Laura!

Gotta run. I am hoping to be home by 6pm tonight :)
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby gem66 » Jun 30th, '14, 9:20 am

Hi girls!

Lisa, you had a busy week-end and got some scrapping done! Woohoo!

Denise, so happy to hear you are getting use out of the boat!

Well girls, our city has had to declare a state of emergency due to overland flooding. It has rained sooooo much here this spring that the ditches and water systems cannot support the flow. Most of our roadways in and out of the city are covered with water and some are now closed. Lots of people are pumping water out of their basements. We are lucky so far...but we are keeping an eye on things downstairs too.

On a good note, I can't do yard work today, so I see it as a great day to stay indoors and create!

Also DD and I may go out and about to get her a few things. She starts her summer job weds, so she wants to get some stuff before she is too busy!

Have great day ladies!
gem66
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AnnaB » Jun 30th, '14, 9:26 am

Ouch on the flooding Gilly! I hope you'll stay dry!

Denise, hugs! I loved your photos from the lake. I wish I could come and work for you and make sure you got some rest!

Lisa, how fab that you were so lucky with the weather!

J's mother came here today. Tomorrow she and Linus will be spending the day together in Stockholm and then she stays another night and leaves on Wednesday. The kids are so excited to have her here and they don't leave her alone for a second. :)

Alva also has her last day of swimming school today. She aaaalmost swims now. She would have needed a couple of days more. The annoying thing is that the swimming place (indoors) is closed all summer (except for swimming school) and it's way too cold to practice outside, at least right now. :P It'll be nice to have calmer evenings though. She's been swimming between 5.45 pm and 6.30 pm for over a week now, and it's in the middle of our normal dinner time.

I need to go...! Will check in later on tonight.
AnnaB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Jun 30th, '14, 9:34 am

Denise, sounds like you had a great day.
It's a shame when one child can't come along but nice that give the other some 1 on 1 attention (no matter how old they are) :)
I'm with you with feeling so tired lately.

Gilly, that's awful about the flooding :(
I hope it doesn't effect you too.

Sounds like you have a fun couple of days Anna.
Does J's Mum mind all the attention from the kids? :)
Yay to Alva!!
Shame the pool isn't open though.

We are just heading out to Next (that store we like).
They put a clematis through wrong when I went last week. I didn't notice until a day later when I was wrapping a present and took the bits out of the bag. It went through at £15 instead of £7.50 ($12).
So I have to go back for my refund :(
I'm taking Hollie for coffee as Louis is at a friends.

See you later :)
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby Margrethe » Jun 30th, '14, 11:09 am

Hi, girls!

Sounds like you've got your whole week planned, Lisa. And I do hope Hollie has a lovely birthday next week :)

Sounds like you need to take care of yourself, Denise. Listen to your body and let it rest. Hope you feel better soon!

Hope your basement stays dry, Gem!

Sounds like she's made major improvements, Anna! Hope she masters it completely in the next couple of days!

Me, I'm home alone this week as T left on a motorcycle trip with an uncle and uncle's son. I was allowed to come with, but decided to stay home due to the weather forecast promising good (sunny) weather here and drizzle on their route... My second week off work and I enjoy it immensely. Although, I must admit that I like working and get a bit depressed during the long summer holiday. Three years ago, I was writing (and completing) my dissertation during the summer, so that made time fly by. Two years ago, I got myself a "summer job", teaching Norwegian to engineers working in the area - a summer job that lasted till March the year after! Oops...

Last year I didn't do much, but we still had some things to get done around the house.

This year I don't have any major plans. I've borrowed quite a few books at the library and hope to read those. Some fiction, but also a few books on literary theory, etc, as I'll be teaching final year Norwegian next year and that makes me a little nervous... The school I work at has one of the highest grade point averages in the country, especially excelling at the Norwegian exam (same exam around the country). And my students are very demanding and I want to do a good job...

Also, there was a thread here some time ago on weight loss. I don't mean to brag (ok, I do), but I've lost up to 10 kgs over the last 6 months or so. I don't know my exact starting weight, but am now down to 58kg (app 127lb). This means I've gone from wearing European size 42-44 (UK 14-16, US 12-14), to 36-38 (UK 8-10, US 6-8)...! Which again means I've needed quite a bit of a new wardrobe. Ouch. My wallet is hurting! ::)
Margrethe
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AnnaB » Jul 1st, '14, 8:39 am

That's fabulous Margrethe! I should loose about 10 kgs too, but I don't seem to be able to mentally focus right now. :P I am doing good with the running/walking though! I'm not jogging 5 km yet, but I really hope to do so before summer is over. I hope you'll be able to relax and enjoy your summer off!

Lisa, I think that J's Mom probably thinks the kids are a little too much sometimes, but she is really wonderful and mostly smiles about it. They need to learn to wait a bit sometimes... or often... :)

Linus was quite excited about his trip to Stockholm with his grandmother today. I hope they are having a good time! :) I have been running/walking and grocery shopping and that's about it and it's soon 4 pm already. Not sure how that happened!
AnnaB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Jul 1st, '14, 9:16 am

I know Anna, I don't know where today has gone.
3pm here and I'm finally having lunch.
Some salad leaves and watercress from the garden, cous cous made up in the fridge and a tomato chopped up with a glass of water. Exciting stuff!!

Lovely to see you here Margrethe. You are missed when you are busy.
Go You!!! Brag away, you deserve to. What a great achievement. That's loads.
I bet you feel so much better for it.

I'm still loosing a pound a week. I'm now 107lb (48kg) down from 119lb (54kg).
Everything is starting to look big now including my dresses that I only bought a couple of months ago. But they are a uk6 (us 2) so I'm stuffed as we don't go smaller here :(
And my boobs are shrinking. I've never had the problem. I've always been an E -DD cup for as long as I can remember. Even when I was lighter than I am now. I have space in my bras :(

How many weeks do you have off work Margrathe?
That sounds like quite a task coming up at school.

I hope Linus is having a good day Anna.

We exchanged some dollars this week.
My friend works for one of the leading Foreign Exchange places here and we got her staff rate which was amazing. We were so so excited.
When I planned our trip I based it on a fair rate but's it's gone on and up, our condo rental has ended up costing us about $160 less due to the exchange rate.
I got all the kids money sorted yesterday.
They save themselves so they have their own spending money.
We obviously treat them, but anything else they buy themselves.
We've always done it this way and it's a great way to 1. get them to appreciate their money and work out each day what they have and 2. it stops them from pestering for things.

We are down to double didgets now. 99 days time we will be waiting for the kids to come home from school, car all packed up so we can head off :)
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby DeniseM » Jul 1st, '14, 9:22 am

Margrethe that is wonderful about the weight loss! A new wardrobe is pricey but so nice to be able to do :) I hope you can enjoy your summer and not get blue. It's interesting how different people are, I would absolutely LOVE to have an entire summer to read, craft, garden, exercise......oh goodness. delightful I say. I have a neighbor who is loves her work too and doesn't like taking vacation time either!

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. I hate complaining it's just reality. My job is very active. I have a pedometer and track my steps, I log on average between 12,000 and 15,000 steps a day in my typical 10/12 hour day. That's w/o exercise. Yesterday was 14,623 steps by the time I was done working. I am pretty sure that's why I am tired! I know that ultimately it is good for me. Coffee is my best friend in the morning!

Does anyone else use an activity tracker? Bill kept telling me I should get one and so I finally did. Some one told me you can get an app for your phone that tracks? Don't know if that is true.

Lisa, did Hollie decide what she is doing for her birthday? I am sure you will do something lovely with cakes and decorations. :) Next year is sweet sixteen. Do you do something special for that? My parents did. My Dad gave me a really beautiful emerald ring and my parents took me to dinner with some of my girlfriends. It was really fun. I felt very grown up!
How are your computer issues going?

Gilly did you get some scrapping done with the rain? It is sunny and beautiful today. We had lots of rain as well but no flooding. Hope you are okay.

Anna, that is exciting for Linus to do something with grandma in Stolkhom. I imagine that all there excitement probably makes her feel so good. In small amounts maybe. ;)

Okay, I went over my computer time darn it! gotta run. Have a wonderful, beautiful fun day everyone.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Margrethe » Jul 1st, '14, 12:34 pm

Denise, I use the Lifesum app and it has helped me loads getting me more focused on my eating. It can track walking, but for the rest of it, you have to search your exercise and add it yourself. I use it mostly for calorie count.

Lisa, I have until Aug 13 and then school starts for the students at the 18th. I know what you mean about clothes bought only a couple of months ago being to big...!

Anna, thank you for your encouragement! I'm not big on exercising, but know I should...! And therefore, I've signed up for a ballet class for the next school year. I started ballet and tap when I was 6 and kept at it until I was 18 and finished high school (at quite an advanced level). So, after corresponding with the manager, I'm guessing this class will be "easy" even if it's been 10 years since I last danced. Trying to get in touch with another studio, too, as the class I'm signed up for is the "hardest" they offer for adults. The second studio is closed for the summer, but hope to hear from them at the end of July and maybe signing up with them as well...?

Hope Linus had a good time at his grandmother's!

Lisa, yay for counting down the days!

Denise, you're quite the walker...! Hope you're having a good day :)
Margrethe
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Jul 1st, '14, 5:55 pm

I will have to try out the lifesum app. I use MapMyRun which also has a walking application. I also have a WW Activity Monitor I haven't plugged it in from my trip. I'm pretty darn sure I found some of your lost pounds here ladies. but it was worth every delish bite and time spent with my boys enjoying it. Life will return to "normal" soon enough.

I took the red eye home late last night and got into Detroit Metro about 9:40 a.m. I did snooze on the flights and napped a couple little bits once I got home. Right now I'm at the funeral home for a few hours. I did do a set up for a visitation and that kept me awake but now I'm doing mundane computer entries and I'm getting sleepy again.

I go back to law job for 2 days and then we are into the 4th of July holiday and roll into our Higgins Lake vacation. Seems wrong to have two vacations back to back like this but I didn't want to give up either of them. Kind of shuddering on what my desk looks like and whether I will be able to deal it down before I'm gone for another week.

Denise, did you post photos of your boating? Did I miss them on Instagram or Fb? I'm kind of brain dead right now. The only two things I remember reading was Denise boating and Margarethe and Lisa's amazing weight loss success!

I see on IG that Lisa is 99 days and counting to DW!!!!!
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby StephanieEloise » Jul 2nd, '14, 7:37 am

Hey ladies! Sorry I haven't been around much, with traveling to Chicago and Denver, then working and visiting my sick grandma in South Carolina, the days are literally flying by.

Can't believe it's July already! But I'm a girl who loves fall, and hates Southern summers, so I'll take it. My birthday is also at the end of the month, so that's something to look forward to.
StephanieEloise
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby gem66 » Jul 2nd, '14, 8:57 am

Good morning girls!

Lisa, countdown is on til Disney woohoo. You sound very organized!

Denise, that's a lot of miles. I do have a garmin that I could use to track miles. I might try that some time. Cool. No wonder your body gets tired tho! Hugs!

Margarethe, yippee Summer holidays. Enjoy some good reads!

Stephanie, awesome to see you! Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Is she better?

Laura, happy holidays. Can't wait to hear all about them when you are back for good!

Anna good luck with your running program...is it the couch to 5K one? You will progress faster than you think!!!

So, so far we are still dry at our house and the rain has stopped. We did have about an inch of water under the floor of our basement, but one we ran our well that we use to water our plants, it went down to nothing.

We are still under a state of emergency with quite a few roads closed. Our river is now coming up, which the city is now setting up the dikes for. There are way worse communities east of us, so we are thankful.

On a good note, I did get some scrapping done! Woohoo! It felt great!

Probably doing outdoor work today!!! No rain predicted! Have a great day ladies!
gem66
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Jul 2nd, '14, 1:11 pm

Gilly still sending you dry thoughts. 'stay dry...stay dry...)

Laura, welcome home.
I want to hear all about it.
How were the girls? I saw a photo that made me well up of you all together.

Hi Steph, good to see you here.

Lovely news I just read about Marie and the Sept GDT :)

I went to see my dr today. Had my smear (got told I have a lovely cervix) Got told that last time too, Not everyday you get a compliment like that. To be fair, these days I'm grateful of any compliment, so it made me happy. :) Apparent it's very neat. The joys of emergency c sections I guess.
I also spoke about my migraines as they've been increasing.
I was given a perscription to collect pills to take everyday as a preventative. Plus some others if I do get one. I don't feel happy about having to take something everyday. It was playing on my mind so I spoke to the pharmasist before paying for them and she said it was unusual to go for something like that rather than to just take something when you feel one coming on. So I've left it. The others were out of stock.

Whe you get pills from the dr, do you get them there and then or do you have to go to a chemist to collect them too and do you have to pay? We have to pay £8.05 for every perscription. So today that should have been £16.10. (about $25).

Oh and Hollie got nominated for an award for her food made in her catering exam.
We have to go to an awards evening on the 15th.
Did I tell you she got top marks?
She also made Prefect.
That's like head of school. There were 70 picked from 130. They where a badge and get lots of priviledges. But they help out at open days and evenings, help with the younger classes, help at break times and parents evenings etc...
Tomorrow the new year 7's have a day at the school. Hollie has been given a class to go around with.
She's so pleased :)

Enjoy your evening.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby DeniseM » Jul 2nd, '14, 1:12 pm

Laura I am so glad you are taking another vacation!! You deserve it lady. enjoy enjoy.

Stephanie are you back from SC? been thinking about you.

Gilly I hope the floods pass you by. That is scary. Sunshine is good!

Lisa that is so exciting about DW. 98 days will go by so quickly. it's hard to believe it's almost here, it seems like just yesterday you were saying it would be hard to wait a whole year.

I am sorry I was late with the QOTD. I Got up this morning and went to check on Jameson before I left for work. He had stepped on a huge thorn the other day down at the river. He said it was fine, and he got it all out but I was worried. It was red, swollen and very infected. I brought him to the Nowcare clinic and they gave him a shot of antibiotic and a prescription for another antibiotic. I have to bring him back tomorrow to make sure it hasn't gotten worse. They seemed pretty concerned. :( So I had to cancel one of my clients and am now just heading out to do my morning client. I do hope it doesn't get worse and the meds work. He is going crazy as he can't walk on it, which means he can't do anything but watch tv or play video games. Believe it or not, that is like torture for him. He never sits still.

I did manage a bike ride this morning at 7am. It was seriously the last thing I wanted to do I felt so stowed up and achey but man, it made such a difference. My joints don't hurt at all! I asked the Dr. why all my walking/activity with my job wasn't enough exercise and she said that my body was so used to it that it doesn't really do the same for me as it would for someone else. I guess that makes sense. Anyway, I am so glad I pushed myself because I feel so much better.

Okay, off to work. Only 4 hours though! Home at a decent time and can get some things done around this messy house. :) and cook a proper dinner!
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby DeniseM » Jul 2nd, '14, 1:16 pm

Lisa, I think this is the second day in a row that we have posted at the same time! Now I need to read what you said...

Lovely cervix! ha ha. That is nice to hear. With long labors and deliveries I am sure that is not true for me. ;) I can think of so many naughty things to say Lisa! I miss you. It was so nice remembering about the fireworks the other morning. :)

Congratulations to Hollie!! So well done! She must feel really good about the award and being Prefect. It makes me think of Harry Potter.

Hope your migraines are improved.
okay really bye now.
DeniseM
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mison » Jul 2nd, '14, 3:00 pm

Gosh ladies, you really have been chatty ;)

My week so far has contented Of work, gym visits and cleaning. My vacation started today and I have spent all day cleaning...

Done some Craft assignments today. Even did some embrodery for one project! Haven't Done that for 10 years.

Lisa - your week sounds funbusy!

Margarethe - wtg! I seams to have parked on 68 kg... 10 down would make me VERY happy!

Denise - dear friend! Do take care Of yourself!! That boat rides looked fun!

Anna - hope Linus had a great day. Cold here too..

Well, as you know I got some exciting news today! I can't wait until September!!!!
mison
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AnnaB » Jul 2nd, '14, 4:31 pm

Gilly - stay dry!!!

Lisa - huge congrats to Hollie! And to your cervix too! :D

Laura - welcome home and how wonderful that you are getting another vacation too!

Denise - I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better! Crossing my fingers for Jameson.

Lisa, yes we need to go to the chemist to collect our meds when the Dr prescribes something. We do need to pay, and the cost is different depending on the medication. But we only have to pay up to a certain amount/year - I believe it's 300-350 dollars or something like that. Not everything is included, but most things are.

We had a lovely day today. We went to a nature reserve not far from here (but we'd never been there before), and visited an old limestone quarry. It was really beautiful! Then we drove to a lake and had some 'fika'. Suddenly it felt like summer and we should have brought our swimwear. The girls were playing around in the shallow water and it was impossible to keep their clothes dry. :)
AnnaB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Jul 3rd, '14, 3:14 am

Good Morning,

Anna, those photos were beautiful on IG.
Looks like you had a lovely day.
Did Linus enjoy Stockholm?

Denise, poor Jameson. That sounds nasty :(
I hope those meds work.
I'm glad you've found something that works and glad it's making you feel better.
What exercise are you doing today?
Funny that you associated the Prefect thing with HP. I always though the Prefect thing was a U.S thing.

Enjoy your days off Marie. You've been so busy lately I'm sure you need them.
What have you got planned?

Latte is finished now, back to work.
I'm making Schnitzel for dinner tonight and can't wait already.
It's been ages since I made that. There were 4 pork steaks reduced when I went shopping last night, so I thought it would be a nice treat. I'm going to try and bake them though rather than dry. I hope it doesn't dry them out too much.

See you later.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby LauraC » Jul 3rd, '14, 5:58 am

I hope Jameson is doing better today, Denise!\

And Congrats to Hollie on getting Prefect! Marie, did I see somewhere on FB, Instagram or somewhere that you won the Guest DT???? WHOOO!!!! Anna, love your instagram photos. Isn't it just so easy to post quickly there?

I see we are getting a few of the Peas girls playing along with a Scraptanya challenge. It's always nice to see new faces.

Work wasn't as overwhelming as I expected. I was able to deal with a few issues from my phone on vacation. I should just let work go when I'm away but that's easier said than done. Not much happening here except more rain and the weather is cool again today. Not sure what's up with the temps this year. The forecast of a cool wet summer may just come true. I could use it to warm up a bit for the lake though. I am turning my mind toward packing for next week and trying to think of what foods to buy/pack. We usually bring our own breakfast/lunch foods and we take turns and one night we do a dinner. We are doing easy peasy burgers this year. I think I'm going to make a couple of poke pudding cakes for ease. So I guess the cool weather will be good for baking, right?
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Next

Return to The Day to Day Talk