Keeping Healthy/Weight Loss

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

Keeping Healthy/Weight Loss

Postby Funky Fairy » Apr 14th, '14, 8:37 am

I think there are a few of us here that are trying to stay healthy and loose some pounds.
I wondered if anyone would find it helpful if we share our goals here?

We could spur each other on and encourage etc....

I started jogging on Friday. I didn't realise how unfit I was.
Then I put 2lb on this weekend. That wans't supposed to happen :(
I would like to loose 6lb.
I hurt my back yesterday, so won't jog today, but went on a 1.5mile walk with Ade and the dog and we plan to do that later too.

Anyone else?
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Re: Keeping Healthy/Weight Loss

Postby StephanieEloise » Apr 14th, '14, 8:47 am

I'm not good at goals. I find that they often disappoint me more than if I didn't set them in the first place. That said, I know that doesn't work for others.

I've been working out 5 days a week since February, and since I don't own a scale, I don't really know how much I've lost, but I can look at myself and tell that I'm losing inches all over. I find that not weighing myself keeps me from obsessing over my day-to-day progress. I'd much rather weigh myself every 2 weeks at the gym and be happy that I'm consistently dropping pounds.

I'm also not drastically changing the way I eat. This way, it's more of a lifestyle change as far as incorporating more exercise instead of changing my diet only and then having a bad eating week and backsliding, etc, etc.

This is just what works for me! I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing.
StephanieEloise
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Apr 14th, '14, 9:01 am

I Had a long post in one of the Questions of the Day about my weight loss journey. I'll be right back and I'll copy and paste it here.
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Margrethe » Apr 14th, '14, 9:37 am

I started using an app called Lifesum 4 weeks ago, with the goal of losing weight and the end goal-weight being 57kg (128lb). I don't know how much I weighted when I started 4 weeks ago, as we didn't have any scales at the time, but I estimated it to be 67kg (147lb), in reality more like 65-66. People have been commenting on my weight loss for the past year. 3-4 years ago I was 78kg (171lb) and very unhappy. I haven't really done much to lose the pounds so far, but not studying/starting work has helped a lot. I used to sit a lot and after I stopped dancing at 18, I quickly gained weight. I started studying at uni and didn't move and also ate a lot of unhealthy meals and candy.

Starting work 3 years ago helped, as it made me move. I move all day due to being a teacher. And with my current job, I've been very busy and not eating much. It's also helped that there's no cafeteria at my school, like there was at my last school, with BLT sandwiches and cakes every day. At work now, I eat crisp bread, skyr, apples, etc.

The Lifesum app calculates how many calories I can eat daily to reach my goal. I've set the desired weight loss to be 1kg per week (2,2lb), eating no more than 957 calories (if I exercise/move, I can eat more, of course). I've also chosen the standard diet (you can change to 5:2, lowcarb, etc). You add the different things you eat (either manually by searching, creating new items or by scanning bar codes) and it lets you know if you've eaten enough carbs, fats and protein, etc. It can also use motion sensor to calculate how much you walk, but you can also add your exercise manually.

Since I didn't have any scales at home when I started this, I don't know how much I've lost, but weighing myself yesterday (after buying scales), I'm down to 63kg (139lb). So far I think the best thing for me, with this app, is making myself more aware of the calories/nutrition in the different meals/products. Of course, I've always known that chocolate and the like isn't healthy, but it's made it easier to make good choices.
Margrethe
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » Apr 14th, '14, 10:06 am

I posted this in reply on a QOTD thread earlier this month:

I feel your pain NIcole. I'm one of the busiest people I know but fortunately, right now, my kids are grown so that took it out of the mix. I'm going to post my story and hope it helps you and maybe anyone else who struggles with time, scrappy time and taking care of themselves.

About 4 years ago, I entered a 5k walk with friends for a charity. I had to quit halfway through the course. I was embarrassed and humiliated with my friends. One of whom is a WW leader who lost 120 lbs over 20 years ago and kept it off. I felt I didn't have the time nor the money to go back to Weight Watchers. Roll ahead to March of the following year. I had had my yearly physical in February and the doctor said that it was time to think about blood pressure and cholestrol meds. I asked for six months to try to get my weight and numbers in line. That humiliation of not finishing the 5k was still with me taunting me. Photos of me at our Walking Girls Club were so telling. I was reading a lot about scrappers who fail to document themselves or get themselves into the pictures. I didn't want to leave myself out of life any more. I joined WW with my friend as the leader. My friend the leader had a photo of herself 120 lbs heavier. All well and good. I didn't need to lose that much. But what really caught me was the statement that she made. "I joined Weight Watchers six times before it clicked." That was me. I have joined and quit so many times. I rationalize my monthly payment to WW as a trade off for the medications that I was heading for. SInce then, I have NOT had to start medications. I have only dropped 20 lbs in those years and hover up and around that 20 lb mark for over a year now. But I am learning so much about myself. I am a stress/emotional eater. My grandma always gave me treats and cookies to try to make a difficult childhood better. So I equate difficult times with food rewards. That lifetime habit is hard to overcome. I started walking regimine. I work out once a week to either a workout dvd or a 3 mile walk with friends. I have a standing Monday night 3 mile walk with a good friend date. The weather had really put us out for that routine but we started it again last Monday. I'm hoping my ankle heals quickly to get back into it.

The hardest part of all of it was to finally for once in my life put me as a priority. I have never been the priority. But if I don't make me a priority, I won't be around for those who count on me and love me. So I share this so you can do some soul searching and find a way to carve out some time for YOU! YOU are important. Time is an issue with me too. But I still find some time to carve out scrappy time. I've been known to set aside a whole weekend to salve my soul with scrappy time. I wish there were more hours in the day. My household cleaning a lot of time takes the hit but I'm a happier person for it.

I posted this in the wrong forum (slaps head)
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AmberCA » Apr 14th, '14, 1:24 pm

I have struggled with my weight my entire life, up and down. I had lost a good amount of weight a few years back, but it has gradually snuck back on. I joined WW about 4 weeks ago, because that is how I lost weight in the past, I enjoy the encouragement and accountability. I am finding it hard to loose the weight this time. I find that I do already eat pretty healthy and so there is not that much to change, just eating less. I definitely need to exercise more, i just hate that word though, I need to move more, walk more for sure. ::)
***Amber***
AmberCA
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby StephanieEloise » Apr 14th, '14, 1:38 pm

AmberCA wrote:I have struggled with my weight my entire life, up and down. I had lost a good amount of weight a few years back, but it has gradually snuck back on. I joined WW about 4 weeks ago, because that is how I lost weight in the past, I enjoy the encouragement and accountability. I am finding it hard to loose the weight this time. I find that I do already eat pretty healthy and so there is not that much to change, just eating less. I definitely need to exercise more, i just hate that word though, I need to move more, walk more for sure. ::)

I'll be honest, until this year, I hated it too. But somehow, between early February and now, it's become addictive! I'm really hard on myself if I don't get 5 days in, whereas before, I would scoff at working out more than 2x a week. But I got it in my head to make it a habit, and somehow it's stuck.
StephanieEloise
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Sherry C » Apr 14th, '14, 3:26 pm

I have worked out since my early 20's and can't imagine life without some sort of exercise. I am so grouchy without it, it's good for my mental health and for those around me. ;D I watched my mother struggle with weight gain/loss her whole adult life and I was determined to save myself from that battle.

I was always thin until my mid-30's and then it became a little harder to manage my weight. I also had my children at (almost) 37 and 39, so that added a few pounds to my frame. What I have learned is that my eating habits HAD to change. I cannot eat like I did in my younger days and expect to maintain a healthy weight. I need to eat clean most of the time to maintain weight loss. Some weeks I'm more successful at it than others. I just started a 24 day challenge of clean eating to give myself a jump start for the summer.
Sherry C
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Apr 17th, '14, 10:26 am

Sherry, I didn't realise that you had the kids that late.
You really don't look it.
I'm 39 now and guessed you were a similar age to me.

I have lost the couple of lb that I gained last weekend.
I checked my ideal weight for my height and really it should be 100lb tops. :(
That's 12lb weighloss :( :( :(
How awful. All that work.
I know for my weight right now matched with my height, I am considered 'over weight'.
The rubbish thing is I can fit into ladies clothes right now :)
When I'm the weight I should be I have to wear kids clothes and I hate it when I'm out and see a child wearing the same top or dress as me.

Sucks being a shorty sometimes!!
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby Patricia » Apr 17th, '14, 10:53 am

Can relate to a lot of what everyone has said.

My Mom had me on a diet at 10 and ever since I have been up and down.

Mine is more emotional eating than the knowing to make better choices. So I have to tread carefully with diets. They do not work for me. I use MyFitnessPal App have lost about 26 but went on a much too long binge recently and relosing some of that. Seeing Friend's make changes is what motivates me. And I needed that push plus I hated any picture of me. It just added to the funk. I am 46 and am in early menopause, insulin resistant and didn't think I could do it but have. Very slow. June will be a year since 'making better choices.'

Trying to exercise more. Helps a lot. Weight will go up with exercise because of muscles but that muscle helps burn fat and you feel better and inches start to fall off.

I can tell such a big difference in my mood depending on what I have eaten or exercised.

I know posting pics of foods, snack ideas, exercising helps to stay accountable and cheer each other on. Seeing others do this made me determined vs hearing doctor say how I was close to diabetes.
Patricia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Patricia » Apr 17th, '14, 11:21 am

Lisa, I don't think I will ever get to a weight I should be. I think healthy is where you feel comfortable. You are tiny. But I bet you look fine not being at an ideal weight.
Patricia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby StephanieEloise » Apr 17th, '14, 11:59 am

I have hit the 10lb mark, give or take a few. I weighed myself last night at a friend's and I was 7 lbs down from the two weeks ago when I was there. It feels nice to see a number, but I still don't plan on buying a scale anytime soon :D

Lisa–I wouldn't pay too much attention to charts. According to the BMI (which is BS), I'm obese. Those charts don't account for a lot of differing factors.

I'm still on my 5-days a week plan. Yoga on Tuesday and 2 miles last night. Thinking about adding in a spinning class one day a week. Planning on mowing the yard tonight for my workout.
StephanieEloise
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AmberCA » Apr 17th, '14, 3:11 pm

Very encouraging thread going on here. I love to work out in the yard and garden, I wish that it was enough exercise to just be outside, but I do need to make it a priority and get on my treadmill.

The confusing thing is that I really am a happy person, and I really like who I am. But I know that I need to lose weight for health reasons and to fit comfortable in my closet full of clothes. It's a win win situation....I'm off to my Weight Watchers meeting. ;)
***Amber***
AmberCA
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Apr 18th, '14, 1:15 am

Patricia, I'm shocked from the age of 10!!

Steph, you are doing so well.
That's amazing!!

I used to work out loads after I had Louis. Funnily enough I met Ade in the gym after having Hollie. The kids find that hilarious (Ades' really over weight, poor thing).
I became a bit of a gym-a-holic. I'd sometimes be the twice a day if I could.
I was teeny. Well under 100lb, age 10 clothes, totally toned. But then my business really took off and I became so busy.
The weight slowly started piling on over the years.

Patricia, I know I'm not huge, but I am chunky for my height. Things like some tops are tight around the tops of my arms, which I've never known before. I wear a size bigger clothes and I seem to carry it heavy on my thighs.
But I got on my scales this morning and I've lost another pound this morning. I've tried so hard this week.
That's 3lb this week now.
My sister is over with her family today and we have a table booked at our local pub, but I think I will be really good and have one of their under 600cal meals. I feel really encouraged to keep going now.
This extra pound today is my lightest I've been for a good year or so.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby mison » Apr 24th, '14, 6:27 am

Really interesting tread this! I can really relate to what Sherry wrote. I have done sports since I was a teenager, alway been skinny. But in the 30´s I gained weight. Then after having the kids it got worse. After Max was born (when I was 30 yo) I lost more than I gained during the pregnancy, but after Alice it has been a disaster. Not that I am that heavy really, but my ideal weight is around 60 kg (132 lbs) and a couple of months ago I topped at 70 kg (154), way, way to much!

So I needed to re-think. I know how to eat to be healty, but I don´t greally get it to work for me anyway. I needed to think over my situation again. What have I been doing differently now from when I was younger. That was how I formed my "eating" plan. I eat every 3rd hour, carbs in the morning and for lunch (slow carbs, and I count weggies & beans as carbs too), I eat a lot of proteins in between (like Skyr, kvark, berries and nuts). I drink a lot of water (up to 3 liters) and a lot of green tea. AND I have one eating day a week when I can drink wine, eat a cake or have some other snack.

I have changed how I exercise too. I have always been a fan of running, skiing and such activites. But gaining waight has made me slow and easy broken. So I go to the gym instead. I lift weights and love it. My body have slowly starting to transform. I haven´t lost a single stone weitght yet (been doing this for 3 months soon) but almost 10 cm in the waist!

So if anyone are interested here´s my week plan of training:

Monday - gym for about 1 hour (upper body, back, sholders)
Thuesday - gym for 1 hour (lover body)
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - gym for 1 hour (upper body again)
Friday - gym (lover body)
Saturday - rest
Sunday - Cardio for 45 minutes

This plan will change in time.

One day of eating could look like this;

Breakfast - outmeal with a glas of low fat milk + 1 boiled egg or 30gram 10% cheese
Between - 125 grams of kvark, 1 dl berries and 8 nuts
Lunch - 100 gram chicken (brest made in the owen), green lenses with a dressing made with lemon, ½tbsp olive oil, chopped parley and chopped rucola
Between - 125 g cottage cheese and 1 apple
Dinner - 100gram salomon (done in the owen) and a sauce made by using 50g kvark, garlic and dill. Fresh spinash with that (50g)
Before bed - 60 g 10% cheese, a pear and 12 nuts.

Lisa - I work much too! I go to the gym in the morning. Fist breakfast - then the gym and then I go home to work. Or if I work at the hospital - I go before bed.

I don´t say my way is the right way - but I know that beeing to extreme makes you last just for a while. It´s like Steph says - it´s a matter of changing your life. One of my scrappy friends has made a marvellous wight travel this past year. Feel free to look at her pictures on Instagram to se her transformation.

@SOPHIE_EK
mison
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby gem66 » Apr 24th, '14, 9:50 am

Being a counselor and life coach, I am not really a fan of weight #'s, clothing sizes, and the whole concept of dieting. I think that just comes from my own struggles with weight which really did a number on my self-esteem at times, and working with clients over the past 10 years that unnecessarily put pressure on themselves.

One book that helped me immensely see the whole concept was a book about mindful eating. It taught me how to start to pay attention to what I was eating, how I was feeling. It also taught me to see things from a lifelong perspective and learn self-acceptance.

At almost 43 and I am happy to say that I can almost accept myself exactly as I am right now. No I am not the perfect weight or size for some scientific chart, but I do feel great. And no longer is my self-esteem and self-worth tied to a stupid number on a scale (which believe me I was hooked on at severely at one point in my life), or a number on my clothes. I carry myself better because I just feel better about myself. I think I also have learned to choose clothes for my body type better too.

I always "try" to eat healthy...getting in more veggies (which I only like to a certain point). I am currently eating less wheat-based products (as I have recently done a lot of reading on). Get an adequate amount of protein. Always take my vitamins...D and B being crucial for me. Be thankful for my good health. I am pretty active and I do exercise regularly (via my exercise bike and treadmill that I can use in any weather). This all being said I love food and I love my down-time and lazy days too.

So that's my long-winded story in somewhat of a nutshell! LOL! I guess basically I have learned to accept myself...which has been a lot of work, but very rewarding in the end! I am human!
gem66
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Apr 26th, '14, 3:10 am

I'm so pleased, I've lost 2lb this week and finally got under a goal that I haven't been for almost a year.
I've also booked myself in for blood pressure and cholestrol checks on Monday morning.
We have a bad history on both sides of the family.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby Patricia » Apr 26th, '14, 9:14 am

Yay, Lisa! Congrats!

Gilly, agree. I have a few books on that subject as well.
Patricia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Funky Fairy » Apr 26th, '14, 10:35 am

Thanks Patricia.

I'm really focusing on the healthy again.
Cutting down on the carbs and cheese and my portions.
I'm so bad at having my dinner, then seconds and finishing up whats on the kids plates.

Funny, I put in to this chat yesterday just out of curiosity my height, weight etc... and in order to loose 2lb a week I would need to have 490 calories a day.
I don't think that will happen :D
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby Margrethe » Apr 26th, '14, 12:04 pm

Funky Fairy wrote:Thanks Patricia.
yesterday just out of curiosity my height, weight etc... and in order to loose 2lb a week I would need to have 490 calories a day.
I don't think that will happen :D

I was on a 800 calories a day regime for 3 weeks and nothing happened. My weight stood still. I wasn't particularly hungry and kept track on how much I moved, etc, and how that affected my calorie usage. Then I read online that if you go under 1200 calories a day, your body can go into hunger-mode and stop losing weight. I did an override on the app I use, to 1200 calories a day. Most days I don't eat that much, but on the days I do, the circle in the app illustrating how healthy my diet is (etc) turns green. I've tried eating more calories this last week (up to 1200 calories) and have lost app 2 lbs, so I think there's some truth in the whole hunger-mode thing.

I am now down to 61.9kg (136lbs) and hope to continue this loss.
Margrethe
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Next

Return to The Day to Day Talk