You're going to laugh at me...but...

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

You're going to laugh at me...but...

Postby Jaime Warren » Jan 4th, '14, 2:57 pm

It's supposed to be super cold (for Georgia anyway) on Monday and Tuesday over here. We haven't had a low of 17 in YEARS. Okay, start laughing...I know some of you girls see negative temps on a regular basis and you are just shaking your heads at me right now! :D
Jaime Warren
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Re: You're going to laugh at me...but...

Postby SuzMannecke » Jan 4th, '14, 3:24 pm

@Jaime- After being born and raised in Wisconsin, I know what cold really is. However, I also know after living in Florida for nearly a decade (4 different locations) that 17 in the South is a whole other kind of cold. It is! I get it. ;)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Funky Fairy » Jan 4th, '14, 4:43 pm

Jaime, I think that is sooooo cold.
In the south of England it's rarely much lower than 30f. It can get a little lower in the night but not usually too much more. In fact right now it's been unusually warm getting up to around 50f in the day. But with all the winds we are having it feels much cooler.

Stay warm.
Funky Fairy
Design Team
Design Team

Postby KarenP » Jan 4th, '14, 4:54 pm

Not laughing (ok - maybe a little - I don't want to be a snow snob :D ) but anything below freezing is cold to me these days!!! I grew up in the Northeast and this morning in NY woke up to -3 plus wind chill - the wood stove can't even keep up BUT my MIL lived in Georgia (Lawrenceville) and I remember shivering a few Christmas's when it was in the 50's LOL.

Good excuse to stay in, scrap or read a good book! Stay warm!
Karen
KarenP
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby nittygrittyjody » Jan 4th, '14, 5:08 pm

My family back in Minnesota are expected to reach windchills of -60's to -70's! I cannot even imagine! I grew up there and it gets cold here too, but not that cold! The actual temperatures are -30 to -40 below zero. Schools are already cancelled there.

Our weather is total whiteout right now. We are possibly getting 12 inches of snow, and our temps are dropping in the next 24 hours too. We could reach in the negative teens, and our schools will close if the windchills are -15 or colder. I am staying inside!!

I miss living in Florida right about now! We were in Vero Beach for a year and a half way back in 1999, but I still remember how nice it was to have no snow and warm{er} weather through the long winter months. I am just hoping our power stays on and pipes don't freeze. One burst at my hubby's golf club because of a faulty repair on a wall a few years ago. It has been a mess to get all the water cleaned up and the wall fixed in this cold weather, but thankfully it is covered by the bank who owns the property and insures the building. So I feel for anyone dealing with the cold- no matter how cold you're used to! It can be a big problem and I am so, so SO glad I am not a pioneer. I would have died having to use an outhouse in these temps! :o
nittygrittyjody
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Patricia » Jan 4th, '14, 5:34 pm

Here in Loisiana we have been chilly. It is a nice change. But I am not laughing, It is cold! I think tomorrow will be back up to 60 but later in week, the teens!
Patricia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby SuzMannecke » Jan 4th, '14, 9:41 pm

@Patricia @jaime @christine hope you all are feeling much better today!!! (And anyone else fighting the bug!)
SuzMannecke
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby Patricia » Jan 4th, '14, 11:45 pm

Thank you Suz! I am better! My energy isn't back yet but better!
Patricia
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby northcarmen » Jan 5th, '14, 10:18 pm

What? You don't like our version of spring weather?? ;) ;) It's -31 Celsius here right now, with windchill of -43. That's -23.8 Fahrenheit, with windchill of -45.4. To me, THAT is truly cold, although last week we had windchill of -52 Celsius. But if your weather is making you feel like our weather is making me feel, then you totally have my sympathy. :) Cold is relative, just as hot is -- it's all what you're used to. And our houses are VERY well-insulated, so we don't spend much time actually experiencing the awful temperatures. I expect when we move to South Africa, I will be very frustrated by poor insulation that means outside temperature = interior temperature. It can get down to -2 Celsius in Johannesburg in May and June, and I am already dreading how it will be to spend nights feeling that cold. Our house is almost always +24 Celsius, winter or summer (we don't have air conditioning, so sometimes it gets hotter in summer, and sometimes in winter (like right now) it feels colder because the windows get so cold and the cold leeches into the house).

Carmen.
northcarmen
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby MarthaBonneau » Jan 5th, '14, 10:50 pm

-20 here tomorrow and I don't even want to talk about the wind chills. So wrong on so many levels, it makes me want to pack up and move but it's too cold to do that lol!
MarthaBonneau
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AshleyCalder » Jan 6th, '14, 1:08 am

Weather is so relative... it so makes a difference what you are used to!
AshleyCalder
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Return to The Day to Day Talk