Favor to Ask about Location?

A place to talk about all things non-scrapbooking related.

Re: Favor to Ask about Location?

Postby Sharmaine » May 16th, '13, 7:24 pm

Aussie Aussie Aussie :)

I'm in Tasmania, the southern most state of Australia. The island state...
Sharmaine
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest

Postby pam » May 16th, '13, 8:11 pm

Lisa, there are lots of movies and TV shows being filmed in Portland. Last fall there was a filming for TV only a block from where my daughter lives.
pam
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » May 16th, '13, 9:10 pm

This is so much fun

Lisa I jad no idea your traffic was that bad. And toll roads? Michigan doesn't have toll roads. Sharmaine I didn't know that's where tasmania is!

Curfew? Almist eveey town in our area has them. I guess I didn't know that was unusual
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby scrapally » May 16th, '13, 9:59 pm

I'm getting such a good geography lesson here. I love it.
Building strong children is easier than fixing broken men.
Marion Wright Edelman
scrapally
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby scrappy_granny » May 16th, '13, 11:56 pm

pam wrote:Lisa, there are lots of movies and TV shows being filmed in Portland. Last fall there was a filming for TV only a block from where my daughter lives.

A friend of mine has been an extra on Grimm and she just fell in love with the actors on the show! My daughter, who lives in the St. Johns area, unknowingly drove right thru one of their sets one day - OOPS! Grimm has become one of my all-time favorite shows.
scrappy_granny
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby scrappy_granny » May 17th, '13, 12:06 am

Well, I grew up in Attica, NY - you NY gals will know where that is ;) - and now live the other side of the Interstate Bridge from Pam, in Washington state. Here is the story of why were are named Battle Ground....

The city is ironically named for the absence of a battle. In 1855 many of the soldiers at nearby Fort Vancouver were away fighting an uprising by the Yakima Indian tribe. Nervous settlers organized a company of volunteers to guard the undermanned fort. Fearing that the friendly Klickitat Tribe on the Lewis River would join the uprising, the volunteers ordered them into the Vancouver Barracks near the fort.
When some of the Klickitats escaped, Captain William Strong, the post commander, led a detachment of volunteers to bring them back. They overtook the Klickitats near the current location of the city, but rather than engaging them in battle, Captain Strong talked them into agreeing to return to the fort peacefully. Somehow during this episode the Klickitat leader, Chief Umtuch, was slain. The circumstances of his death are unclear: some said he was killed by a soldier, others by an accidental gunshot from his own men. In any event, the Klickitats promised to return to the fort after burying their chief, a ceremony that would take several days, so Strong returned without them.

The settlers had been expecting a battle, and when Strong returned empty-handed, they accused him of cowardice. The Klickitats did return as promised, but criticism of Strong continued. The women of the fort awarded him a petticoat of many colors in mock celebration of his courage. And the area where the Klickitats were encountered became known as "Strong's Battle Ground", and later simply "Battle Ground."

And two of our primary schools are named after Captain Strong & Chief Umtuch.
scrappy_granny
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby AnnaB » May 17th, '13, 12:21 am

Oh, this is so much fun! Great idea Laura! :) I really really love that we can come together on the MB and learn so much from each other and about what life is like in so many different parts of the world.

I live in Strängnäs, a small town not far from Stockholm.
AnnaB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby mison » May 17th, '13, 2:46 am

Yes, this is fun. A great geograpical lesson!

I live in a small village called Nordmaling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordmaling) in the North of Sweden. The easiest way to explain the location is that it is located by the coast, between the cities Örnsköldsvik (home of Peter Forsberg, Mats Näslund, the Sedin brothers etc for you who know hockey) and Umeå.

We have 600 km to Stockholm and 800 km to the northern border. Even though the village is small, we have a lot of possabilities work and education wise. Umeå Universety is nearby (2o minutes by train, and 40 minutes by car).

Here comes a couple of pictures. And a couple of links.

Umeå: http://www.visitumea.se/Default.aspx?lang=en

mison
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Ami » May 17th, '13, 6:22 am

And I live about 260 km north of Mison, in a town called Piteå, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piteå . If we talk about sports; Tomas Holmström, Mattias Öhlund, Mikael Renberg are from Piteå. Piteå is about 180 km south of the arctic polar circle.
Ami
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby Jaime Warren » May 17th, '13, 7:38 am

I live smack in the middle of Georgia! We are hoping though to move to North Georgia in the next few years!
Jaime Warren
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby LauraC » May 17th, '13, 8:14 am

Keep them coming! I AM LOVING THIS!
LauraC
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby TerryB » May 17th, '13, 9:11 am

scrapally wrote:I have fond memories of Buffalo and Niagara! I was born in Buffalo, lived about 10 minutes from the falls in North Tonawanda until the age of 10. It was my favorite place to go - and I especially loved the gardens on the Canadian side of the falls.

Yup. :)
That's where I live....in North Tonawanda!
Wow. Small world. :)
TerryB
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby scrappy_granny » May 17th, '13, 7:04 pm

TerryB wrote:
Yup. :)
That's where I live....in North Tonawanda!
Wow. Small world. :)

REALLY? My nephew lives there too! Very small world!
scrappy_granny
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby pam » May 17th, '13, 9:31 pm

scrappy_granny wrote:
pam wrote:Lisa, there are lots of movies and TV shows being filmed in Portland. Last fall there was a filming for TV only a block from where my daughter lives.

A friend of mine has been an extra on Grimm and she just fell in love with the actors on the show! My daughter, who lives in the St. Johns area, unknowingly drove right thru one of their sets one day - OOPS! Grimm has become one of my all-time favorite shows.

Barbara, it was Grimm that was filmed on my daughter's street. She lives in St. John's. What a small world.
pam
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby MandiePierce » May 17th, '13, 11:04 pm

Jaime Warren wrote:I live smack in the middle of Georgia! We are hoping though to move to North Georgia in the next few years!

We consider Atlanta (area) home even though my sister in law is the only one still there. (She is actually in Marietta.) Troy grew up there from about middle school on. I moved there right after high school with my family. Met Troy working at a Kroger store. Went to college in Kennesaw. I love North Georgia. Troy proposed up in the mtns (not as far north as Helen, but where we went camping & he went rappelling & rock climbing. Near Layfayette. Not that you'd know where that is. Lol!!)

We are currently in between Sacramento & San Francisco. But, in about a month & half will be moving to the Montgomery, AL area. For a year-ish.
MandiePierce
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby scrappy_granny » May 18th, '13, 12:17 pm

pam wrote:Barbara, it was Grimm that was filmed on my daughter's street. She lives in St. John's. What a small world.

Oh my goodness! For all we know our daughters could be neighbors! What chance is there in that?!?
scrappy_granny
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby MandiePierce » May 18th, '13, 1:21 pm

scrappy_granny wrote:
pam wrote:Barbara, it was Grimm that was filmed on my daughter's street. She lives in St. John's. What a small world.

Oh my goodness! For all we know our daughters could be neighbors! What chance is there in that?!?

How fun is this?! I hope you guys have pm'ed each other!
MandiePierce
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Postby sug » May 18th, '13, 3:15 pm

this is a great thread! I live in Phoenixville Pennsylvania we butt up to Valley Forge National Park. This is an area where, during the American Revolution George Washington ( a general in the army at the time) brought his rag- a - tag troops to learn how to be soldiers. They thought the British would come through, but there never ended up being a battle here. Many of the soldiers died in the extremely harsh winter conditions, with little food and clothing.

I also live near King of Prussia mall - the largest shopping mall in America.

I am about 25 miles east of Philadelphia.

I grew up here and love the area. I have also lived in Los Angeles, but I missed the changing seasons and my family.

I have often wondered why there are so many from Sweden on this site. Of all the stamping sites I frequent, this seems to be the most international. Any back story to this?
Su
sug
Daisy Girl
Daisy Girl

Postby AshleyCalder » May 18th, '13, 6:21 pm

Ashley - you are not that far away from me and Mandy K - around 5-6 hours - I guess I was thinking more Northern Ontario for you - hmmmmmmm, maybe a meet up one day
A meet up someday would be awesome! MI is not TOO TOO far from me.

My parents used to go to wholesale shows there, and stop by London's Dairy (near the border) on the way home, and buy the most amazing Turtles sundaes for us. They'd have the dairy put them in the deep freezer until my parents were ready to leave, and then they'd pack them in blankets/pillows to insulate them on the way home. And by the time my parents got home, the sundaes would be the perfect just-soft consistency! :)

TerryB, you are really close to me! We go to Buffalo/Amherst/Wheatfield/Niagara Falls often!

i also live in southwestern ontario near a small town called port dover. i am probably about an hour away from ashley.
Kelly, I've been to Port Dover several times. My parents used to do a big craft show there, years ago. It is a nice town!
AshleyCalder
Cocoa Daisy
Cocoa Daisy

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

Previous

Return to The Day to Day Talk